PDA

View Full Version : Getting involved.

Rheghead
22-Aug-06, 20:30
What makes you want or not want to join committees for your local community's benefit? Is it that you can't be bothered, apathy has struck or is it that you have such a drive that that you want to be top dog and you want your own way? Are you a public-spirited person and want to help or is the community spirit unimportant to your immediate needs?

I have just been to a public meeting and no one turned up, how sad is that? If I get involved more myself would I be on a loser without the support from the rest of the committee?

Primadonna or mouse?:confused

Besides, I don't want to be seen as running the place, but who will?

maverick
22-Aug-06, 21:28
It has been my experience that (GETTING INVOLVED) is more trouble than its worth. You never manage to achieve that which you set out to achieve and 9 times out of 10 you will have to settle for a compromise. 99% of the time there are elements working away in the background employing spoiling tactics to make sure that you wont succeed. Which left me with the impression that to be successful in any political arena you have to sell your soul, and thats just to high a price for me to pay.

mccaugm
22-Aug-06, 22:46
I was on committees before I moved north. Its tough to get them started but they are usually quite positive when people pull in the same direction. I was secretary of the local community council and I enjoyed it immensely.

You have to work with the community for the community to work with you!

Lolabelle
22-Aug-06, 22:52
Mostly I just don't have enough time, or at least commitable time. I have tried to help with a few things in the local community, but am usually driven out by the others who are more interested in having a big head and bossing others around. (I don't like the competition lol)
I think that usually the intentions are good, but the ego's get in the way and the cause gets a bit lost.

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 00:49
You commit to come on here - freedom of choice, no pressure from outside, no pangs of social consience. A committee for your local community's benefit?That does involve - 'should I or shouldn't I'. The word should is the problem, because that has to do with what you think are other people's expectations of you and is not you making your own mind up unhindered.So you make the move 'to get involved'. Why? For some, it's to 'make the world a better place' or some such selfless motive. Others because they seek power or are manipulative by nature. Then there's 'spirit of the moment'. That's unlikely to satisfy for long - probably until the next 'moment' comes along.Boredom in one's life might make community work seem appealing - but after a while, one committee can be just like another so one get's apathetic.There is no definitive answer as far as I can see - though I do serve on a committee which only meets 6 times a year and that is for a charity.

Moira
23-Aug-06, 01:27
What makes you want or not want to join committees for your local community's benefit? Is it that you can't be bothered, apathy has struck or is it that you have such a drive that that you want to be top dog and you want your own way? Are you a public-spirited person and want to help or is the community spirit unimportant to your immediate needs?

I have just been to a public meeting and no one turned up, how sad is that? If I get involved more myself would I be on a loser without the support from the rest of the committee?

My own reasons for not wanting to get involved would be lack of time (and sometimes energy).

My experience has been with local charity committees which involved organising events & fundraising as well as being an Office Bearer. This is slightly different from the community committee you're hoping to set up. It was hard work at times, but I had a lot of fun along the way.

Every committee has its' "say-ers" & "do-ers". I don't know if you see yourself in the strategic role, Rheghead, or the operational one. If you burden yourself with both roles, as I did, then you're in for a hard (though not unrewarding) slog. After about 5 years you may learn to say "No - sorry I can't manage" quietly & politely.

Not sure about your reference to "Primadonna or Mouse" - I was neither. More like "the willing horse ...." As a rough rule of thumb, you would need 2 enthusiastic committee members out of a full committee of 12.

Good luck

sjwahwah
23-Aug-06, 01:31

Maybe you turned up on the wrong day?:roll:

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 01:37
Maybe you could also examine what it is you would bring to such a committee and whether or not you may be able to 'move things forward' if you were 'in charge'.

sjwahwah
23-Aug-06, 02:09
No Rheghead.. I'm kidding. In my experience... so called committees are made up of exactly what somebody else has mentioned... the talkers & the doers. I'm all for community action, co-operatives & unions... whether it's consumer unions or work unions etc.. I'm the secretary of a housing co-op now and through the years I've put in lots of hard, unpaid work, campaigning, council meetings, getting involved in consultations at every level, volunteering for eco-building projects all around this country and Sweden, literally travelling around the world attending natural & vernacular/traditional building forums, workshops, apprenticeships & summits you name it learning skills and trying to pick up more and more and more eco-building techniques & grassroots housing co-op ideas and all the rest of it and within our group there was alot of talkers and when it came down to actually doing the big deed nevermind the years of prep work.... there was only very few of us willing to risk all and actually do what we've set out to do.

There was 30 of us at one point but, now... very few doers and so the co-op will exist with these few while the others look on. Communal committees require utmost dedication and perseverance to get anything done and it seems these days most folk are too involved in their own lives to even entertain "community workings" and it seems the only community spirit we see anymore is when it is an emergency. Sad.. but, true. Good on ya for trying to get involved and don't get angry and give up .... persevere!

One thing I have learned is alot of people need to see to believe.. so, perhaps starting with a very small dedicated group of doers that you already know are involved or really interested in this sort of thing your doing and start your project or action or whatever it maybe instead of trying to get the whole group together & organised before you do anything and as they say... "Build it and they will come...."

As far as being in charge.... you'll probably find that people within the group will naturally take on certain aspects of the project making everyone a boss in their area as it were.

Lolabelle
23-Aug-06, 02:18
You commit to come on here - freedom of choice, no pressure from outside, no pangs of social consience.

I can commit to come here because it is accessable at the times I have available. There are no set times or other people to upset if I can't make it.
I have had to change a lot of my commitments to doing things around our business. Some are a handy escape and some I don't like giving up. But as some one else said, there are does and talkers and I was a doer who couldn't stand all the debate and discussion instead of a bit of doing.
Having said that I do lots of stuff for our church and they in turn do stuff for the community.
Ta daaa......
Don't know what that was about, just felt like sticking it on the end.;)

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 02:25

Is there anything any of us on here can do to help your 'worthy cause', other than respond to your message as we are doing here?

Moira
23-Aug-06, 02:59
Rheghead

You're onto a winner - with your enthusiasm for the community cause, Sjwahwah's experience & Kingetter's offer to help, you can't lose !

As far as I am aware Sjwahwah is not local, so would be your strategic link, leaving Kingetter to do the donkey (sorry - operational) work.

I did say earlier that a successful committee needs 2 enthusiastic members out of 12 - you're on a roll - you now have 3, including yourself.

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 03:03
Rheghead

You're onto a winner - with your enthusiasm for the community cause, Sjwahwah's experience & Kingetter's offer to help, you can't lose !

As far as I am aware Sjwahwah is not local, so would be your strategic link, leaving Kingetter to do the donkey (sorry - operational) work.

I did say earlier that a successful committee needs 2 enthusiastic members out of 12 - you're on a roll - you now have 3, including yourself.

Need to know more about what the committee is for/about before committing but who knows eh?BTW Moira - never a donkey, sometimes an ass! lol

sjwahwah
23-Aug-06, 03:32
There's a better world a comin', I'll tell ye why, why, why...
There's a better world a comin', I'll tell ye why...

We'll beat em' on the land, on the sea and in the sky...
There's a better world a comin'
I'll tell ye why....

There's a better world a comin', don't ye see, see, see....
There's a better world a comin', don't ye see?

When we'll all be union and we'll all be free.

There's a better world a comin', don't ye know, know, know.
There's a better world a comin', don't ye know?

I'm a union man, it's a union war, it's a union world I'm fightin' for.

There's a better world a comin'...
you know why, why, why...
don't ye see, see, see...
don't ye know, know, know...
hey, hey, hey..

I'll tell ye why, why, why...
There's a better world a comin', I'll tell ye why...

Out of marchin', out of battlin', ye can hear the change a rattlin'
I'll tell ye why....

There's a better world a comin', don't ye see, see, see....

When we'll all be union and we'll all be free.

There's a better world a comin', don't ye know, know, know.

I'm a union man, it's a union war, it's a union world I'm fightin' for.

-Woody Guthrie;)

Moira
23-Aug-06, 03:33
Kingetter

You're not back-tracking here or taking cold feet - are you?

I'm not for one minute suggesting you are a donkey - you don't have to be one in order to undertake the work ;)

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 03:37
Kingetter

You're not back-tracking here or taking cold feet - are you?

I'm not for one minute suggesting you are a donkey - you don't have to be one in order to undertake the work ;)

Not at all, far from it. However - I'm semi disabled and not mobile. I have a progressive medical condition which will see me in a wheelchair some day maybe not so far distant. I therefore may not be much use. Does that clarify the situation for you?

sjwahwah
23-Aug-06, 03:51
Not at all, far from it. However - I'm semi disabled and not mobile. I have a progressive medical condition which will see me in a wheelchair some day maybe not so far distant. I therefore may not be much use. Does that clarify the situation for you?
sorry to hear that kingetter.

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 03:55
Thank you sjwahwah, its a state I don't want to be in but even sat on my 'ass' I can live some sort of meaningful existence, and sitting on an 'ass' isn't anything new, is it?

Moira
23-Aug-06, 04:06
Well - that's a really good positive statement - thank you Kingetter. I've a lifetime of experience with semi-disabled folk like yourself.

I had no way of knowing that my post would strike a discordant note with you. I do apologise if it made you feel uncomfortable. I'm positive that you don't need me to tell you that "immobile" means "unable" & I'm sure that Rheghead would appreciate your input.

So - please keep posting.

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 04:13
Moira, thanks. No discordant note was felt by me - honest, so dinna fret. My inability to be active physically frustrates me but life is a daily challenge, right?I spend a great deal of time on my PC - as evidenced by my frequent posting which I'm sure has got up some people's noses. I have little else that I'm able to do.Then, just to add to the difficulties, I'm also emphesemic(sp?).Maybe a visit to the vet next week? lol

Moira
23-Aug-06, 04:36
I'm not in a "fretting" mode tonight K. But thanks for your reply anyway. I'm working away from home over the next couple of days - will check back on you all Friday.

BTW - my best friend's Vet is D McGregor & Partners (Wick 602088) Hope this helps ;)

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 04:40
I'm not in a "fretting" mode tonight K. But thanks for your reply anyway. I'm working away from home over the next couple of days - will check back on you all Friday.

BTW - my best friend's Vet is D McGregor & Partners (Wick 602088) Hope this helps ;)

Will miss you, cos,http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/you5Fquack5Fme5Fup0.gif

cuddlepop
23-Aug-06, 12:04
I find i get involved when its something that concerns me or directly effects.
Over the years its becoming more and more difficult to get motivated because through experience its difficult to change things especially policys and precedures.
I agree with Moira when she says a few dedicated people will make a difference but they need to take care of there own health as they can become seriously wiped out.
People dont want the responsibility but want the change.Dont know how you change attitude.:eek:

Victor Vendetta
23-Aug-06, 12:47
Ultimately everything we do is of our own free will.
People join committees for themselves for a variety of reasons.
They may genuinely want to improve someone else's lot but a large number use it for self aggrandisement,the opportunity to promote their own interests, getting their photo in the paper, being able to boss people.
Conversely people don't join committees because, by and large they are happy with their lot and/or find other things to do.
I always find it amusing when angry people try to hector people via the media to "get involved".
Can't you be happily uninvolved?

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 13:58
As a parallell to this thread, check out the John O' Groats Hotel one. Now I firmly believe something needs to be done about that place, but, am I going to lead the mission or will I be quite happy to follow someone else's lead? Rhetorical question perhaps, but there is the substance of where this thread started.