PDA

View Full Version : Tall Ships Opportunity For Young People In Highland

Bill Fernie
27-Jan-11, 12:41
I thought this might be of interest if you know a deserving young person who might benefit from the experience offered by this opportunity that we have just announced on the Highland council web site.

Tall Ships application form (64kb pdf) (http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/D17A9CA4-C88D-4A22-89DE-D610172E7092/0/TallRacesApplicationForm.pdf)
Tall Ships - further information for applicants (134kb pdf) (http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/CAD08E77-536D-43A5-862C-099B0514FABF/0/TALLSHIPS2011Infodocument.pdf)

In partnership with Ocean Young Trust, Young Scot and COSLA, The Highland Council is offering 2 young people the opportunity to participate in the Tall Ships Races 2011. The opportunity includes travel to and from the vessel and all costs incurred while taking part in the project.
Applicants should be:

• Those at risk of poorer outcomes and who would not ordinarily have access to this kind of opportunity.
• Aged 16-24 on date of departure
• Hold a passport with 6 months validity remaining on date of return
• Of adequate fitness

The Tall Ships Races are designed to encourage international friendship and allow young people to experience adventure under sail. The races are held annually in European waters, and in July 2011 there will be three racing legs of several hundred nautical miles – with each leg lasting around 10 days.

Successful applicants will participate in one of the three legs, which are;
(1) from Waterford, Ireland to Greenock;
(2) from Lerwick to Stavanger, Norway,
(3) and the final race from Stavanger to Halmstad, Sweden and a return voyage to Inverness.

Race One - 1st July to 11th July
Waterford, Ireland to Greenock, UK

Race Two - 22nd July to 30th July
Lerwick (Shetland Isles), UK to Stavanger, Norway

Race Three - 30th July to 12th August
Stavanger, Norway to Halmstad, Sweden and returning to Inverness, UK

The deadline for receiving applications is 4th February 2011 so anyone interested in applying should contact Mike Jones on 01463 702067 for an application form or email mike.jones3@highland.gov.uk

Kodiak
27-Jan-11, 13:01
This sounds like a Fantastic Opportunity and I hope that there will be many applications from persons in Caithness. I wish there had been something like this when I was within that age range. So come on don't miss this adventure, Apply and have some FUN!!!

changilass
27-Jan-11, 13:07
Why are these things not given more advance notice?

Closing date of 4th Feb seems to be very short notice.

This must have been organised well in advance so why not open applications earlier.

Good luck to anyone who applies, its a great opportunity.

DrChin
28-Jan-11, 13:56
Might not be much time left but there is still time to apply. I would encourage all who are interested to get in contact ASAP.

Green_not_greed
28-Jan-11, 14:04
FYI this was first advertised last year - either October or November when I first found out. I though it was a fantastic opportunity and suggested it to both my teenage daughters. Both looked at me as if I was completely barking mad. Not mad, just sad. An opportunity wasted.......

Dadie
28-Jan-11, 14:18
It looks fantastic.
Im sure it would also help on a CV for those lucky young people just starting out...be it for further learning or starting employment!
Shows they are not afraid to work hard and can work in a team etc...