PDA

View Full Version : what would you tax?

bagpuss
26-Jan-11, 22:30
it's a fact that Scandinavians suffer from a gene that copes badly with alcohol. Consequently drink is very highly taxed in countries such as Norway, Sweden and Denmark

This tax saves lives (any Wickers remember how the Danes on the mackerel boats used to drink themselves senseless back in the early 1980's in the Rosebank?)

if a dram cost £10, we'd see much less binge drinking, the NHS would be able to concentrate on real emergencies and paramedics would not have to go round hauling silly young ladies out of gutters

so what taxes should mr O be imposing to save Brits from themselves?

orkneycadian
26-Jan-11, 22:34
Super VAT on things that are most definately luxuries (theres always some confusion with the present set up whats a luxury and whats not....)

Playstations, Plasma TV's, Golf Buggies. That kind of stuff. 75% (or more) VAT

John Little
26-Jan-11, 22:37
Chocolate.......

bagpuss
26-Jan-11, 22:41
a tax on status dogs? or a bond guaranteeing the animal and owner's good behaviour?

a supertax on gas guzzling vehicles with exemptions only for those who really really need them?

Huge fines on binge drinkers who end up in hospital (and if they are on benefit- take the money away for good)

Red
26-Jan-11, 22:50
I'd tax stupidity - the government would make a fortune!

I concur with the luxury goods idea if you can afford to spend £1000 on a stupidly large tv then surely you ought to be able to afford to spend an extra couple of hundred quid for the tax...

ducati
26-Jan-11, 22:51
All the stuff I don't use. Oh you've already done that.....

Fur coats and guns then.

golach
26-Jan-11, 23:16
Single teenage mothers, they cost the country a fortune :mad:

The Music Monster
26-Jan-11, 23:30
Chocolate.......

Oh no! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked019.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

orkneycadian
26-Jan-11, 23:39
Food miles. And supermarkets would have to pay treble food miles. Reasoning - With so many taxes we have at the moment, the more you can afford to pay, (or the more you earn) the higher the rate you are taxed. So it stands to reason, that supermarkets should pay a higher rate of food miles tax on the stuff they sell, as they are coining it in, by paying their suppliers a pittance, but charging the consumer a lot more.

RecQuery
26-Jan-11, 23:41
I disagree with some of the choices of luxury goods but I agree in principal for things like private boats, planes etc - granted the constant upgrading of the TV is stupid and only appeals to those people who think bigger is better. I will however on occasion buy gadgets or electronics but I sacrifice in other places, I very rarely buy new clothes or go out eating or drinking etc.

I think it may be a good idea to heavily tax the following things, obviously certain exceptions can be made in some situations:

Second cars
Second homes
Private schools
Religions and overly religious charities and organisations
People who have 'too many' kids - too many needing to be defined after heavy research
Jewellery made out of precious metal, it's just so tribal

I'd like for there to be some sort of people-who-don't-carpool tax (again within reason and depending on circumstances) but I can't think of a way to implement it.

bekisman
26-Jan-11, 23:47
Put a tax on bicycles?

Swiss Bike Tax Sticker
All cyclists need to take out third party liability (TPL) insurance cover, which comes with the tax sticker (known as a “vignette” in Switzerland). Stickers are obtainable from post offices, bicycle shops and many other points of sale. The sticker is valid from 1 January to 31 May of the following year and can be transferred to another bicycle.

The Music Monster
27-Jan-11, 00:11
I think it may be a good idea to heavily tax the following things, obviously certain exceptions can be made in some situations:

Second cars
Second homes
Private schools
People who have 'too many' kids - too many needing to be defined after heavy research

I'd like for there to be some sort of people-who-don't-carpool tax (again within reason and depending on circumstances) but I can't think of a way to implement it.

I take exception to your notion that large families should be taxed. Being one of six children has been fundamental to who I am, and has taught me, as it does most people from large families, the benefits and importance of sharing and caring for one another [Disclaimer: I do know that people from smaller family units learn these traits, too, I am simply speaking from my own experience]. To be taxed on the love a parent has for children is immoral.

charlie
27-Jan-11, 00:16
Errr? "so what taxes should mr O be imposing to save Brits from themselves? "

Absolutely NONE!
Unless you are a non taxpayer methinks we pay plenty much already.

Move along - nothing to be seen here Mr Osborne.
Turkeys and Xmas seems to be the flavour of this thread.

Gronnuck
27-Jan-11, 01:18
Errr? "so what taxes should mr O be imposing to save Brits from themselves? "

Absolutely NONE!
Unless you are a non taxpayer methinks we pay plenty much already.

Move along - nothing to be seen here Mr Osborne.
Turkeys and Xmas seems to be the flavour of this thread.

Here Here! Taxpayers are already being squeezed until they squeak!
What the grubbiement should be doing is spending less, or spending smart.

Child Benefit for the first two children only. You want more children? Fine; pay for them yourself!
Cut expenditure on superfluous Local Authority services. Why must we use a translation service for every language that visits these shores? If you want/need services - learn English.
Scrap second homes for MPs. There are enough surplus Married Quarters in the London District area to house all our MPs and some more.
Scrap Trident. How big a stick do you need to throw your weight about with? If there's going to be a nuclear holocaust we're all going to be fried anyway.
Withdraw all our military bases in Northern Germany. They cost money to run and support the German economy. We've got bases in this country that are under utilised and we should be supporting our own economy.
Cut overseas aid. As long as I can remember we've been supporting foreign regimes who have squandered our money. Many countries in south Asia and Africa need either free access to trade on the world markets or proper stable governance or a combination of both. If they can spend money on space programs, sabre rattling, weapons or war; we should make sure it's not our money.

I could go on but I don't want to be accused of hogging the thread,:lol:;)

Aaldtimer
27-Jan-11, 01:59
Put a tax on bicycles?

Swiss Bike Tax Sticker
All cyclists need to take out third party liability (TPL) insurance cover, which comes with the tax sticker (known as a “vignette” in Switzerland). Stickers are obtainable from post offices, bicycle shops and many other points of sale. The sticker is valid from 1 January to 31 May of the following year and can be transferred to another bicycle.

A tax on the Green Machine? Utterly preposterous!
More like an incentive to be using one!
Non pollutting!
No wear on roads!
Healthy life style!
Ye Gods...are ye mad?[disgust]

John Little
27-Jan-11, 08:01
Oh no! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked019.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

For the sake of the national waistline (and mine) the sacrifice is worth it....

Red
27-Jan-11, 09:20
I disagree with some of the choices of luxury goods but I agree in principal for things like private boats, planes etc - granted the constant upgrading of the TV is stupid and only appeals to those people who think bigger is better. I will however on occasion buy gadgets or electronics but I sacrifice in other places, I very rarely buy new clothes or go out eating or drinking etc.

Second cars
Second homes
Private schools

I wouldn't tax second cars as they can be vital, particularly in areas such as Caithness with poor public transport systems, for a second earner going out to work (such as a mum doing part time work) and hence paying tax, you can't penalise people who honestly want to work despite it not being particularly financially attractive.

spurtle
27-Jan-11, 09:52
If cycle lanes are being made at the expenses of the motorist's tax, why shouldn't cyclists pay their share?

pat
27-Jan-11, 10:02
tax avoidance schemes which are just loopholes in tax system - make them pay 60% tax on these schemes.
If money is earned by a company or person in UK - tax should be paid in UK, too many ways to manage to export money to other countries without tax being paid, if they want to take our money they pay tax on it, do not care if they have to pay tax to the country they import the money.
Ensure compensation for damage is fully paid, not just a token amount or a few hours community service, so if a person does £400 damage they repay at least £400 + have to deal with court sentence which would be on top of compensating for damage. This includes abuse of staff in police, NHS, public sector due to drink, drugs. etc - eg if the police are called to hospital to deal with someone that call out charges have to be paid as well as charges from NHS for disruption - FULL monetary value, if they can afford drink/drugs they can afford to pay for the trouble they caused, money has to be paid within 6 months or wages/benfits stopped until amount repaid. Any person calling our emergency services on hoax calls also to pay full cost and will they be shocked at the total cost - certainly will stop the idiots when it hits they where it hurts, the pocket.
A huge tax on sweets and sugary drinks - make them so they are a treat occassionally.

bekisman
27-Jan-11, 11:01
A tax on the Green Machine? Utterly preposterous!
More like an incentive to be using one!
Non pollutting!
No wear on roads!
Healthy life style!
Ye Gods...are ye mad?[disgust]
As I mentioned the Swiss already do (among others). The Government there undertook a survey during period 1978 - 2006, and it was found that the amount of emissions from vehicles had increased significantly after the 'Healthy Lifestyle' law was passed in 1979, whereby an increase of over 28% in bicycle use, had colloquially; 'clogged' the roads.

Research suggested that vehicles being 'held up' by slow moving bicycles had resulted in a not insignificant increase in emissions, and a law was passed whereby the Vignette was introduced. Sounds perverse, but there you are..

JustMe
27-Jan-11, 11:59
I'd tax stupidity - the government would make a fortune!

Stupidity Tax !!!!! I agrea, it would cost the MPs a fortune

DeHaviLand
27-Jan-11, 12:19
Withdraw all our military bases in Northern Germany. They cost money to run and support the German economy. We've got bases in this country that are under utilised and we should be supporting our own economy.

Done, see last years defence review!

Walter Ego
27-Jan-11, 15:47
I propose a 'dullard poster' tax.

To be levied upon those who insist on posting unsubstantiated crap as a serious point.

And there should be a 'poster tax relief' available to those who post amusing, interesting or challenging posts. Insults could qualify either way depending on their originality and the skill used in applying them.

Phill
27-Jan-11, 16:13
Increasing VAT & taxes on things doesn't necessarily create a greater revenue as perceived, also once things are priced out of the range 'average person in the street' they often look for alternatives. Including tax evasion.
The current ideas that keep being bandied about for minimum pricing of alcyhol for example, if it were to be priced and taxed out of proportion then people may turn to illicit sales of dodgy beers. Potcheen / potato vodka, secret stills in garages with dangerous chemical additives. A whole new version of micro breweries!!

If ever I've a £1000 to spend on a telly then that's what I'll have, £1000. I don't have £1000 and another £200 to hand. Higher tax on TV's may create a little extra revenue initially but when it further puts traders out of business it costs jobs and sees a fall in revenue. If your next TV suddenly looks like it's going to cost an extra 30 or 40% then your more than likely to put off buying one, or possibly turn that geezer who knows a geezer who knows a man wot's knocked off a warehouse, cash sale - no questions!

VAT on aeryplanes, DONE. But has this benefited UK PLC? For those of you rushing out to buy your new Gulfstream jet they now cost 20% more than they did in December so that'll be millions coming into the UK coffers right? errrm no.
My revenue for december last year was made up of about 65% directly due to UK import aircraft, additionally the other spinoffs were for all the support services for these aircraft coming to the UK (most of which raise VAT & Duty revenue (including the likes of Wick Airport)). Simply there was an indirect revenue for the UK and it provides jobs and services in the UK.
So far this year my income from UK import aircraft is £0. Forecast for Feb, £0. People buying aircraft in the UK, most probably next to nil.
Just one tiny section of the UK economy but certainly not benefiting from tax hikes.

Kodiak
27-Jan-11, 16:41
Extra Tax on Reading Glasses but I cant see this ever getting passed through Parliment, [lol]

theone
27-Jan-11, 17:13
The current ideas that keep being bandied about for minimum pricing of alcyhol for example, if it were to be priced and taxed out of proportion then people may turn to illicit sales of dodgy beers.

The problem I have with the minimum pricing policy that was suggested on alcohol is that it wasn't extra taxation, it was just a minimum price per unit. The result of that would be the consumer having to pay more and the shop making more profit.

theone
27-Jan-11, 17:15
I think I pay enough tax and wouldn't welcome paying any more.

I'd rather see spending cuts than increased taxes.

Commore
27-Jan-11, 18:14
Chocolate.......

Oh no...........not chocolate, :)

Bazeye
27-Jan-11, 20:23
[QUOTE=Walter Ego;813445] Insults could qualify either way QUOTE]

Whens my rebate due?

Ricco
27-Jan-11, 20:24
Mobile phones - the posher the higher the tax. Many people (and many of the kids I teach) buy new phones every year, just to have the latest to show off. I still have my old V3 that is years old - it still works and I won't replace it until it breaks. Then I will get one that does what I need; I won't get a fancy B'berry or the like. Why should I? I don't have time to sit and fiddle with this app and that app. I use the phone to communicate - end of story.

Kenn
27-Jan-11, 21:23
Now there I would agree, 200% tax on all non essential mobile phones. a heavy fine for those who insist on using them in shops, restaurants and other public places.
For those who persist in using them whilst driving an automatic disqualification from driving and a minimum of 6 months voluntary cleaning in an accident and emergency department where they might just see the error of their ways.
I would also agree that when a person is convicted of a crime, full restitution should be made to the victim, be it either in monies or kind and this should be taken from any benefits they are in reciept of or deducted from their salary if in work , failing that their property to the value should be confiscated and sold as re-imbursement.

Might sound a bit draconian but for those who struggle on low incomes any increase in personal taxation should be avoided and the tax threshold raised to £15,000 thus encouraging people to be self sufficient instead of relying on the state to provide.

Aaldtimer
28-Jan-11, 04:34
As I mentioned the Swiss already do (among others). The Government there undertook a survey during period 1978 - 2006, and it was found that the amount of emissions from vehicles had increased significantly after the 'Healthy Lifestyle' law was passed in 1979, whereby an increase of over 28% in bicycle use, had colloquially; 'clogged' the roads.

Research suggested that vehicles being 'held up' by slow moving bicycles had resulted in a not insignificant increase in emissions, and a law was passed whereby the Vignette was introduced. Sounds perverse, but there you are..

I think I would have to have a link to this "Research" Bekisman, sounds like statistics, statistics...and Godammed lies!:eek:

bekisman
28-Jan-11, 13:01
I think I would have to have a link to this "Research" Bekisman, sounds like statistics, statistics...and Godammed lies!:eek:

Well.. it's not 'tax' as such, but if you live in Switzerland and own a bicycle then it needs to have a sticker called a “velo vignette”. The cost of the vignette varies by canton, but is about 5 to 7 CHF, The vignette covers third-party liability insurance but provides no insurance for you or your bicycle. Police can check and give you a fine if you do not have one, and if you are involved in an accident and do not have one then you may have a large problem.

But the rest was pure Godammed unadulterated fiction ;)

DrChin
28-Jan-11, 13:52
Increase TAX on all imports so that items made in UK are the better buy. This would increase sales of UK Goods and then this would increase production. If this happened we would all be better off and our International debt decrease.

Stop cheap imports and Buy British.

gixer
28-Jan-11, 13:53
CARAVANS WHY DO THEY GET AWAY WITH NOT PAYING ROAD TAX.
If you can afford to have one why even a little road tax as they still cause wear and tear to the road and cause a nusiance to other road users.

Gronnuck
28-Jan-11, 14:11
CARAVANS WHY DO THEY GET AWAY WITH NOT PAYING ROAD TAX.
If you can afford to have one why even a little road tax as they still cause wear and tear to the road and cause a nusiance to other road users.

I can see a case for arguing for a Road Tax on caravans since they do use the roads, however arriving at an appropriate amount would be problematic. Some owners use them every weekend and four. six. eight weeks a year, but there are some owners who only use them for two weeks a year. I can see a long drawn out debate there.
gixer's arguement that they cause a nuisance to other road users has been debunked time and time again. If gixer and any other caravan critics knew anything about road traffic law, speed limits and towing they would know that a modern caravan with a properly matched tow vehicle is no more of a problem than a 7.5 tonne van or any other large vehicle.

gixer
29-Jan-11, 14:46
The same could be said of classic cars and bikes that are rarely used but still have to pay road tax if the are post 1973 so why not pay road tax on caravans.

Gronnuck
29-Jan-11, 17:44
The same could be said of classic cars and bikes that are rarely used but still have to pay road tax if the are post 1973 so why not pay road tax on caravans.

I would dispute your point that a car or a bike built after 1973 could be classed as 'historic' or 'vintage'. I understand a line has to be drawn somewhere but (to me) 1973 is still the recent past,:D.

According to your logic it could be argued that all trailers be subject to Road Tax. That would by necessity include all those towed by any prime mover. The road haulage industry would find their costs doubled because they would have to pay additional Road Tax on all their trailers too,:confused.

OK for arguements sake lets discriminate against caravans then. But caravan owners would then switch to Fifth Wheelers since technically they would be the same as any other articulated vehicle.
As I said in my earlier post any debate could be a right guddle and clearly not as simple as just slapping a tax on something some people don't like,;).

Phill
29-Jan-11, 18:09
The road haulage industry would find their costs doubled because they would have to pay additional Road Tax on all their trailers too

They do already.