PDA

View Full Version : a real social service

bagpuss
26-Jan-11, 20:32
I was in Town the other day,, and in a posh hotel I saw a group of old ladies having afternoon tea. it reminded me of days out I had with my granny when i was a little girl, and of the times when as a student i met up with my mother for a treat.

However think of how lonely life can be for those who don't have the big network of friends - i'm thinking of widows who need a bit of company. What is there in Caithness for people who are not looking for romance- just a meeting place for a cup of tea and to meet other people that age these days?

orkneycadian
26-Jan-11, 21:04
Facebook??

lindsaymcc
26-Jan-11, 21:31
My granny plays canasta on a wednesday afternoon, they all meet in Tesco Cafe for a cuppa (and to pick up any bits they cant get in the co-op) and then play cards all afternoon. Once a month they have lunch in the Orange Room first.

Its the main highlight of my grans week!

trix
27-Jan-11, 01:20
What is there in Caithness for people who are not looking for romance- just a meeting place for a cup of tea and to meet other people that age these days?

there is a thing in caithness called the 'befriendin scheme'.

ah da ken an awful lot aboot'ed but as far as ah do ken its an independent service, run by volunteers who go roond til aulder peoples hooses an' sit an hev a cup o' tea an a blether.

lek ah says, ah da ken enough aboot'ed til pass on any information, only that it dis exist.

canadagirl
27-Jan-11, 04:44
I saw this a few days ago www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12250229 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12250229) about these free tearooms and thought it was a great idea. There must be a way to start such a thing with perhaps matching money from gov't. Or maybe donald trump would like to do one....