PDA

View Full Version : Seals River Thurso

Eilanboy
26-Jan-11, 15:31
Notice some seals have taken up residence on the island in the river opposite the Legion.Fishermen will not be happy:(

pat
26-Jan-11, 18:51
certain I can remember the seals being there many years ago, they were just part of the scenery, same as they used to be in tidal part of Wick river - did the seals move away for some reason?
Have not been in the area to notice if they have been there.

ter21wat
26-Jan-11, 19:53
Its lovely to see the seals back!! :) They did used to be there alot a few years back but attempts were made to stop them hanging around the river mouth, such as fences being put up around the islands...when that didnt work they 'mysteriously' disappeared :eek:

bagpuss
26-Jan-11, 20:22
Time to get the guns and big sticks out then boys?

Cattach
26-Jan-11, 20:49
Notice some seals have taken up residence on the island in the river opposite the Legion.Fishermen will not be happy:(

Up to a dozen there last year and last years fishing on the river was claimed to be one of the best ever so seals not a great problem. Far bigger influence was when the netted at the mouth of the river and since this stop a good few years ago the fishing has improved.

orkneycadian
26-Jan-11, 21:11

Aha! A vermin shoot! Can we go after some geese after the seals have been dealt with?

UncleFester
27-Jan-11, 10:50
On monday I was down the harbour in Thurso, just behind the Fish shop, I was having my lunch, I looked over the the river and at first I thought I spotted a couple of seals swimming.

It wasn't until they popped onto the shore that I discovered it was an Otter and her pup and she was teaching it to fish.

I watched in aww as she travelled slowly down the river mouth about 50 foot, occasionally popping onto land with a big fish in her mouth, then she would split it and the pup would snatch the other half for itself.

I had to laugh at the feeble attempts made by the Seagulls to get at the scraps while the mother defended her patch.

Was really nice to see...long may it last

Metalattakk
27-Jan-11, 12:30
Just went over the Ellan Bridge but nothing to see, tide was out.

I watched in aww

Best spelling mistake ever, or deliberate?

*applause* either way. :D

bluelady
27-Jan-11, 12:34

That is just SICK!

bluelady
27-Jan-11, 12:36
Aha! A vermin shoot! Can we go after some geese after the seals have been dealt with?

aha then after you with e white coats ????

ter21wat
27-Jan-11, 12:50
On monday I was down the harbour in Thurso, just behind the Fish shop, I was having my lunch, I looked over the the river and at first I thought I spotted a couple of seals swimming.

It wasn't until they popped onto the shore that I discovered it was an Otter and her pup and she was teaching it to fish.

I watched in aww as she travelled slowly down the river mouth about 50 foot, occasionally popping onto land with a big fish in her mouth, then she would split it and the pup would snatch the other half for itself.

I had to laugh at the feeble attempts made by the Seagulls to get at the scraps while the mother defended her patch.

Was really nice to see...long may it last

Aww how lovely!! I have never seen otters in the Thruso river...I will be keeping an eye out for them now, think I might just have my lunch down the pier today and see if I can spot them :D