PDA

View Full Version : Argos!!!!

tartanyorkie
26-Jan-11, 13:35
I am furious about this. I ordered a freezer online and was sent an email informing me that I could track the order. Now am I being unreasonable to expect that on tracking the order and seeing that it tells me the date and time it will be delivered and that they will ring me an hour before they arrive. I had an appointment this morning, so when I first saw the delivery date I rang and emailed them to ask if the delivery date could be changed. They told me it could not on the phone, and I received an email reply saying the only thing I could do was cancel that delivery and arrange another. Nothing else was said. I then cancelled my appointment rather than wait however long for another delivery. I have waited in all morning with no sign of my freezer. I just rang customer services to ask where it was and was told that is not the date of delivery to my house, that is just the date it is delivered to the carrier!! The carrier will then contact me within 7 days to arrange delivery. I could scream!! It says nothing about the carrier on that page, and if it is only delivery to the carrier why would they ring me an hour before? Why did customer services not tell me this when I said the delivery date was inconvenient? I just had to get this out of my system and let people know how misleading this is!! I feel a bit better now.

Doreen
26-Jan-11, 14:09
They did the exactly the same to me will never shop with them again there absoloutly rubbish and they were rude when i phoned them .

emb123
26-Jan-11, 14:22
Completely understand your anger and frustration.
Classic problem where someone knows exactly what they are doing and are generally well organised apart from one HUGE failing.... a complete inability to communicate in an effective manner so that everyone else around them knows what is happening. I have a friend who drives a car like this... he's never (personally) had an accident... but.... you get the picture.
People and companies that cannot communicate effectively cause so many problems.... for everyone else.

onecalledk
26-Jan-11, 14:26
a friend of mine ordered a sofa from argos a while back, she lost 8 weeks of sanity trying to get hold of said sofa and ended up cancelling it. She lived in Nairn and it seemed impossible to get a delivery date from ARGOS out of them or any sense at all!

closer to home my partner has had dealings with ARGOS and the words "never again" ring loud and clear.....

good luck

K

Dadie
26-Jan-11, 14:27
It will just turn up unexpected, while you are out, on any random day!
With the excuse its because of where you live!
The couriers sub contract to another firm for the highlands and the item is only tracked until the first leg is done!

Gronnuck
26-Jan-11, 15:14
We ordered all our white goods from John Lewis. Everything arrived on schedule and the sub contracted courier team were excellent. I wouldn't want to order large items from anyone else,:D.

lindsaymcc
26-Jan-11, 15:33
Im having the same issue. Ordered a mid-sleeper for my son, was told I would be contacted to arrange delivery, but given a link to track. Apparently being dispatched today so will wait and see when it actually arrives.

Droopy
26-Jan-11, 16:29
There are shops in Wick and Thurso that have so many fridge freezers in, they're selling them..lol
I walked into Graham Beggs shop, after looking in Alacam and Scottish Hydro before xmas, picked the freezer I wanted and got it delivered the same day...no hassle, no fuss.

Dadie
26-Jan-11, 16:35
Yes, but how much more did it cost?
I do an comparism before I buy big items, to get the best item, for the lowest cost, in the best timescale possible, to save us money.
I never just walk into a shop and buy something like a washing machine or freezer without comparing..the price differences can be shocking!
I fell out with Graham Beggs ages ago.....and they dont get much of my custom now!

Scunner
26-Jan-11, 17:15
I used to use ARGOS credit card, but never again. I paid in plenty time and then received a statement with no payment displayed. Phoned and was told that they would need proof of payment ie bank statement showing payment to ARGOs. It took several weeks to clean, so I've never used their card again.

XR2
26-Jan-11, 17:38
I recently bought a washing machine from Argos online, they phoned me about the delivery and told me that it would be with the carrier in Inverness by a certain date and that they would contact me within 48hrs to arrange delivery. They phoned me within the time and arranged a morning he would deliver, I asked the guy to phone my mobile half an hour ahead so I could make sure I was there to meet him and he did.

So must admit I was quite happy with the service, its a shame it seems they can't always manage to get it right.

lindsaymcc
26-Jan-11, 18:59
Well I got a call an hour ago from the carriers for Argos, the bed will be here tomorrow at some point between 10am and 2pm.

Cant fault it really, other than the fact we ordered on 3rd January, and this is the first contact, and it wasnt even from Argos!

bagpuss
26-Jan-11, 19:18
well.....if you really want to savde money why even bother with a washing machine? What's wrong with a bucket of hot water, a washboard and a packet of Lux?

and do you really need a freezer after all that lovely cold white stuff before Christmas?

and small shops can, if asked nicely often give a discretionary discount - and some even match the chain stores

AliciaMackinnon
26-Jan-11, 19:41
I try not to buy from argos as everything I do buy breaks!!!!

I bought a chest of drawers for my daughters nursary and within a month of them arriving... the back had warpped and the bases had fallen out!! I phoned argos to see what could be done about them and they said to repackage them and they would send us new ones! So we repackaged them in there origanal packaging and when the guy came with the new ones we went to give him the old ones and he told us that he couldnt take them unless they were all as one package although they had arrieved in two and argos had never mentioned to me about them being one package on the phone! Also the new drawers are now roughly a month old and they too are damaged and its not like im rough with them!! The fronts are chipped and the backs are warping now too.

Also I got a couch as a wedding presant from my parents (also bought from Argos) it turns into a bed and for some reason it wont stay up when its made into a bed! An engineer came out and he told me that it was missing a part that it should have been given on the production line!!!!

As a result I now have no faith in argos what so ever!!!

bagpuss
26-Jan-11, 19:56
However Argos do sterling work in Wick. along with the other retail giants they are keeping people in paid jobs

but keep in mind that they and homebase are one and the same company- so any furniture bought from them should be assembled by a qualified joiner with the correct tools. The going rate for that should be aroudn £25 per hour- but its money well spent as it means the item doesn't end up in landfill

orkneycadian
26-Jan-11, 21:03
There are shops in Wick and Thurso that have so many fridge freezers in, they're selling them..lol
I walked into Graham Beggs shop, after looking in Alacam and Scottish Hydro before xmas, picked the freezer I wanted and got it delivered the same day...no hassle, no fuss.

Yes, but how much more did it cost?

Me too. Bought a peedie freezer locally the other week. £189.99. Bundled it in the van and took it home there and then. Same freezer in Argos, was £193.13, now £178.99. So although its currently £11 cheaper in Argo's, it doesn't sound from the above reports that its worth the hassle!

Droopy
26-Jan-11, 21:14
Me too. Bought a peedie freezer locally the other week. £189.99. Bundled it in the van and took it home there and then. Same freezer in Argos, was £193.13, now £178.99. So although its currently £11 cheaper in Argo's, it doesn't sound from the above reports that its worth the hassle!

Ahh yes Orkneycadian...but what you did required human interaction and forced you to come away from Facebook for anything up to an hour Im guessing?

Argos on the other hand is perfect for ordering things still in your pyjamas at 2 in the afternoon, while writing on the Org what your 'OH' is up to or how often you clean your toilet, worktops, banister etc etc :lol:

muddywilli
26-Jan-11, 21:44
I understand where you are coming from and once it has left the argos delivery system and ended up in the hands of the courier argos have got no interest in it. Also to be fair to argos we did have some furniture from them that arrived damaged and i phoned the helpline and the replacement parts were sent very quickly. Sorry to say but cheap and service never go together. You have every right to be angry, after all it is your money and you expect decent service from any company.

orkneycadian
26-Jan-11, 21:57
Whoops! Delving a bit further on the Argos website, if I were to buy this for home delivery, they would add £8.95 for delivery, mainland only. So my saving would only be £2.05. But then, they would go "Oooooh, Orkney? That'll be another £80 surcharge guv....!"

Cheaper local methinks! And don't need to deal with all that hassle of delivery just to save £2.05!