PDA

View Full Version : Forss Wind Farm Phase III or Borrowston by Stealth?

ywindythesecond
25-Jan-11, 20:01
Forss Windfarm Planning Application- Phase III of - how many more?

A planning application for five more turbines at Forss has been submitted and the formal period for objections ends this Friday, 28th January. Objections after that date still count.
Forss started as two turbines on a brownfield site zoned for such a use in the Local plan. The four turbine extension was allowed because it was another “local scale” development, and because “it was a completely different development”. We now have five more turbines proposed but at least this time the applicants are honest enough to acknowledge that this is the third phase of the same windfarm.
But how many more phases are still to come? Well Highland Council website has the current Environmental Statement online and if you go to http://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/files/0DFF9942380396F4BA5DDA57B8A54B30/pdf/document-133079.pdf (http://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/files/0DFF9942380396F4BA5DDA57B8A54B30/pdf/document-133079.pdf) you can see the site layout and it is not hard to work out that the new access route gives potential for another 8 turbines after Phase III.
Borrowston Windfarm was turned down by Highland Council, the Inquiry reporter, and at Judicial Review.
Borrowston Windfarm is coming back by stealth.
You can object here http://www.caithnesswindfarms.co.uk/objection3.htm (http://www.caithnesswindfarms.co.uk/objection3.htm) .

orkneycadian
25-Jan-11, 20:21
With any luck, I'll be able to see these on a bonny day too. Can see 3 of them at Forss already, so another 5 would be nice!

ywindythesecond
25-Jan-11, 20:52
With any luck, I'll be able to see these on a bonny day too. Can see 3 of them at Forss already, so another 5 would be nice!

Use both eyes OKC there are six there at present!

orkneycadian
25-Jan-11, 20:59
Aye, but Hoy gets in the road of the other 3! With your influence, is there anyway you can get them to site them so I will be able to see the 5 new ones?

ywindythesecond
25-Jan-11, 21:08
Aye, but Hoy gets in the road of the other 3! With your influence, is there anyway you can get them to site them so I will be able to see the 5 new ones?
Lucky you. If you can only see three now because Hoy gets in the way, you will only see one of the five proposed turbines and if it gets extended along the proposed access road, you won't see them either.
Different story for the folks at Buldoo and Achreamie though.

orkneycadian
25-Jan-11, 21:45
Och well, never mind. Hopefully, some more will get built east of Dunnet Head where theres a far better chance of seeing them!

Aaldtimer
25-Jan-11, 21:50
Well, you could always demolish The Old Man!;)

ducati
25-Jan-11, 22:12

Or move Hoy :Razz

Red
25-Jan-11, 22:13
I wonder if these extra wind turbines will also be in direct view of the Forss Technology Park Offices thus causing the staff to suffer from blinding headaches caused by the strobe effect as and when the sun appears...

ducati
26-Jan-11, 21:44
I guess the information should be available by now.

Anyone know how much carbon has been saved or how much cheaper electricity has been generated or how much less energy is imported or how much more capacity is available, since the commercial windfarms started generation?

ywindythesecond
27-Jan-11, 21:41
I wonder if these extra wind turbines will also be in direct view of the Forss Technology Park Offices thus causing the staff to suffer from blinding headaches caused by the strobe effect as and when the sun appears...

I guess the information should be available by now.

Anyone know how much carbon has been saved or how much cheaper electricity has been generated or how much less energy is imported or how much more capacity is available, since the commercial windfarms started generation?
WOW! Just worked out how to use the multi-quote button! Thankyou .org!
Red,
Only one of the proposed turbines would pose a strobing problem to workers at the business park. It is near the top of the hill in a completely unsuitable location and is probably only included to allow a well-meaning Planning Council Member to say " Well, if they take that one out then it is not too bad", and all the rest will agree. It seems unlikely, but this tactic works.

Ducati
Carbon saved? Nobody knows. Bob Graham, well known anti windmiller from Moray asked the Scottish Govt this recently and nobody knows. Anyone wants to take issue with this statement please check with Scottish Govt first.

Cheaper electricity generated? I know the answer to this one. None. How can it be cheaper to buy wind energy at around 9p wholesale when conventional generation is around 4p wholesale?

How much less energy is imported? Must be some but I don't know the answer.

How much more capacity is available? Well, none actually, if you consider that available usually means that you can get it off the shelf when you want it. Potentially available is different, about 5,000 MW is potentially available but would you book a holiday flight in advance on the strength of a "potentially available" plane? Half the UK's windfarms had a total output of 1MW of electricity over one five minute period on 2nd August 2010. 300 kettles-worth.

I am puzzled by the use of the word "commercial" in relation to windfarms. I am unaware of any "commercial" windfarms. All windfarms are subsidised by electricity consumers. "Commercial" implies independently viable.

ducati
27-Jan-11, 21:46
Thanks YWTS. Thought so :roll:

Red
27-Jan-11, 23:36
Thanks YWTS - I think I best stock up on more painkillers!