PDA

View Full Version : Van hire / man with van

Chrisf1961
24-Jan-11, 12:41
We're moving to Inverness 1st March and have looked at 2 hire companies locally (Richards Garage, who limit to 100 miles then 10p a mile on top at £48+Vat) (Dunnet's who say that they have none available as they're on loan to Dounray)

So wondering if there was anywhere else or anyone with a transit like van who would quote for transporting our stuff, we've nothing major apart from one flat screen tv and a sofa, the rest is boxes.

Have tried Mackenzies who are going to get back to me but said if it were a special trip down they were looking at around £400 which is just too much, we don't really need "removals" as such, just the van with someone to drive it.

I know I could get one from Inverness, but that means I've to drive down, leave car, then back, then down again which is a bit of a faff if I could get round it.

Stack Rock
24-Jan-11, 14:22
Richards appear to be very reasonable - don't think getting a van from Inverness will be cheaper especially if you've got to go and pick it up.

miller30
24-Jan-11, 14:33
Have you tried JMS for a quote? even if you give them a phone and tell them what your after, they have vans that are going down the whole time, they are pretty accomadating im sure if you phone them.

good luck with your move!!

Chrisf1961
24-Jan-11, 14:41
Are they in Wick?, I'll google see if I can find their number.

Scarybiscuits03
24-Jan-11, 14:58
Call Anthony on 01847 851937, he has a large van (bigger than a transit). He quite often does removals and distance is no object.

chordie
24-Jan-11, 15:37
Have you tried JMS for a quote? even if you give them a phone and tell them what your after, they have vans that are going down the whole time, they are pretty accomadating im sure if you phone them.

Pack your belongings well - that JMS van overtook me at well over the speed limit approaching a bend near Ulbster a week past Thursday and then further on near Forse sat right on the tail of the car in front of it!

Chrisf1961
24-Jan-11, 15:58
Thanks folks i have a few to go at now much appreciated

rs 2k
24-Jan-11, 16:12
I know I could get one from Inverness, but that means I've to drive down, leave car, then back, then down again which is a bit of a faff if I could get round it.

But if u get a van from Wick u will have the same anyway :D

Drive down with your stuff, then drive back with the van and then drive back down in the car

Much cheaper if u get from Inverness, do a google search and get quotes, probably get 500 miles free :D

Stargazer
24-Jan-11, 21:50
Have you tried Practical Van Rental? I think they have an office in Helmsdale or Brora. (otherwise Inverness)