PDA

View Full Version : Łg signal in wick

wickerlad
23-Jan-11, 13:09
what networks do you get 3G signal up here. i know you get it with o2 but do you get it with any other networks. thanks.

Even Chance
23-Jan-11, 20:50
I didna ken you got O2 3G in Wick. I have an O2 mobile Broadband dongle, and can only get GPRS access. Maybe Im doing something wrong? (quite probably!!)

Anybody help out with some info here please?

Cheers

cazmanian_minx
23-Jan-11, 21:15
Pretty certain there's no 3G signal north of Inverness. However, the SNP is trying to get the Caithness & Sutherland Regeneration Partnership to bring the 4G trial to the far north:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-12252518

tommy1979
24-Jan-11, 00:15
yeah only 3g you get in wick is with o2 and its pretty decent, internet is a bit flakey though

ChuckBuscuits
24-Jan-11, 19:03
three network has 3g up in wick

webmannie
24-Jan-11, 20:57
3 have 3g coverage in the area, i've been doing tests as part of a local initiative and the coverage checker http://www.three.co.uk/Help_Support/Coverage is pretty accurate. I'm assuming the rest of the county will be the same.

Even Chance
26-Jan-11, 09:04
So if I go out and get myself a 3 dongle, it will be a lot better/faster than the O2 one im using in Wick? If so then great, I'll get one, but I dont want to waste more money on keich that wont be any better.

bluechesse
30-Jan-11, 10:03
I may be wrong, but i thought that 3 just piggybacked off everyone elses networks? Since O2 is the only yother network with 3G in wick, I suspect that the signal 3 users get is actually O2's. In whick case, dont bother.

Im on O2, and my 3G signal is perfect.

webmannie
31-Jan-11, 10:10
Even chance, getting 1.5 mbps download & 0.8 mbps upload (on average) in Thurso via 3.

Bluechesse, my understanding is that 3 have invested heavy in their own infrastructure, which is why they are 'up in arms' over the ofcom decision to allow 3g over existing O2, Vodaphone etc frequencies. I can't say how they are delivering 3g locally, but there is no 3g via O2 in Thurso.

Even Chance
09-Feb-11, 16:34
I have now obtained a 3 mobile broadband dongle. I am getting fantastic connection speeds indoors in Wick (over 2mbps download on HSDPA)

If yer in Week, get yersel a 3 dongle for decent mobile broadband! Im well chuffed now. 3 is definately not piggybacked on O2, thats for sure.