PDA

View Full Version : Since when was "Yorkshire Pudding" classed as a vegetable?

Red
22-Jan-11, 22:48
I went into a supermarket in Thurso today looking for spinach.

There was none fresh, I couldn't find a tin of it, so I looked in the freezer section.

Two thirds of the frozen vegetable section are given up to potatoes in one form or another and lo and behold tucked away where some other vegetables ought to be was the lesser spotted Yorkshire Pudding!

Alas no spinach...

Gronnuck
23-Jan-11, 00:19

There was none fresh, I couldn't find a tin of it, so I looked in the freezer section.

Two thirds of the frozen vegetable section are given up to potatoes in one form or another and lo and behold tucked away where some other vegetables ought to be was the lesser spotted Yorkshire Pudding!

Alas no spinach...

Yorkshire Puds have been stocked with the frozen veggies for as long as I can remember, Auntie Bessies being my favourites.
My question is, where would you stock the Yorkshire Puds?
As for spinach, I can't remember seeing it frozen so I think it's either fresh or not at all.

The Music Monster
23-Jan-11, 00:47
Urgh! Spinach - nasty stuff!

As for Yorkshire Puddings, you can't beat homemade ones - as long as someone else is washing up the tins!!! I think I would put them with sausage rolls and burgers and things.

debimac
23-Jan-11, 01:28
It's just there with the other frozen products you would need for a cooked dinner!
I was nearly sick one day going around and around in circles in tesco looking for sandwhich paste!
After i'd lost the will to live i found a member of staff who told me it was on the shelf above the freezers!????????? :confused

Ricco
23-Jan-11, 14:59
Nope - I definately remember blocks of frozen spinach when I was younger. Can't remember the brand but it was one of my favourites. I think it fell out of favour (like fresh fish) so they dropped it - switching instead to that yuppie image salad stuff - baby leaves. lol

Gronnuck
23-Jan-11, 15:28
It's just there with the other frozen products you would need for a cooked dinner!
I was nearly sick one day going around and around in circles in tesco looking for sandwhich paste!
After i'd lost the will to live i found a member of staff who told me it was on the shelf above the freezers!????????? :confused

Call it a conspiracy theory if you like but I’m sure there is a Tesco marketing manager in an office somewhere who delights in rearranging the layout of Tesco stores across the country just to cause confusion and make people spend longer in their stores. I’m sure I'm not the only one who gets irritate and lost every time I go looking for my favourite things.

John Little
23-Jan-11, 16:49

Alas no spinach...

EEEEE bah gum lad! It's obvious if tha thinks about it......

"The first thing to make clear is that “Yorkshire Puddings” aren’t puddings. They’re a savoury course. Furthermore, puddings are artful combinations of ingredients coaxed into more than the sum of their parts – and Yorkshire Puddings in their raw, natural state are complete in themselves. The Yorkshires you spear with your fork are the cooked versions of the funghi Gurnus yorkis, the ‘Flat Cap’ mushroom.

As any professional gardener will tell you, growing Flat Caps is an art form, or putting it another way, a real sod. They’re enormously fickle and finicky creatures to rear, demanding a chalky, marshy soil and a total absence of sunlight all year round.

For these reasons the Flat Cap’s geographical presence is almost completely limited to northern Yorkshire, making it one of Britain’s most location-specific food crops…and one of its most vulnerable. In 1962 almost the entire Flat Cap crop was destroyed during a bout of freakish summer weather in Northern England in which the sun shone down for 11 unbroken hours – a disaster as yet unrepeated but still all too fresh in the collective mind of the Yorkshire Pudding industry......."

http://www.mikesowden.org/feveredmutterings/yorkshire-puddings

beetlecrusher
23-Jan-11, 17:06
I couldn't even find a frozen chicken in there last week. :D

Beat Bug
23-Jan-11, 17:19
Urgh! Spinach - nasty stuff!

As for Yorkshire Puddings, you can't beat homemade ones - as long as someone else is washing up the tins!!! I think I would put them with sausage rolls and burgers and things.
They don't stick in a non stick tin!

Beat Bug
23-Jan-11, 17:24
Call it a conspiracy theory if you like but I’m sure there is a Tesco marketing manager in an office somewhere who delights in rearranging the layout of Tesco stores across the country just to cause confusion and make people spend longer in their stores. I’m sure I'm not the only one who gets irritate and lost every time I go looking for my favourite things.

A friend who once worked in a supermarket once told me they move things around to encourage customers to buy more. You go to your usual isles, and find something else there, so you buy it! Since then, I try and stick to my shopping list!

billmoseley
23-Jan-11, 19:46
surely the question is why buy frozen yorkshire puddings. make them. and while we are here whats with all the frozen types of spuds with a bit of time and practice you can make them all in your own kitchen. same with pre washed and peeled veg your can do it so easy yourself and so much cheaper

debimac
23-Jan-11, 19:46
A friend who once worked in a supermarket once told me they move things around to encourage customers to buy more. You go to your usual isles, and find something else there, so you buy it! Since then, I try and stick to my shopping list!

Yes i worked for asda and they do swap things around because people tend to buy the same products when shopping!
When they swap things around you see different products whilst trying to find your normal shopping, and this is to encourage you to buy something different!!
The idea is, ooo i haven't seen that before, i'll give that a go and you do that whilst walking around and that equals £££££££ in their tills and out of your pocket!! :roll:

poppett
23-Jan-11, 20:03
frozen spinach blocks available in ASDA................oops sorry that doesn`t help much.

Yorkies don`t stick if the cooking fat/oil is heated in the tins in the oven until smoking hot.

overthewallandfaraway
23-Jan-11, 20:08
Tinned spinach is available @ popeye's! ;)