PDA

View Full Version : rib pain? does or has anyone suffered

lynne duncan
22-Jan-11, 20:58
my daughter has been getting bother with her left side of her ribs on and off for the last two years, docs have said it is muscular and even if it was broken ribs they wouldn't x-ray, she was just walking from the high school to the opticians on wednesday and by the time she got to the opticians where i was waiting, she was in agony and has been since, mum had her at docs yesterday as i was working and he just said take painkillers and ibuprofen and limit exercise until they settle. was just wondering if anyone has had experience of broken ribs or musuclar tears around the ribs or even dislocated ribs and how they dealt with it
thanks in advance

John Little
22-Jan-11, 21:03
I have had that problem - but not recently thank goodness. My doctor explained that I had stretched and that my ribs had 'scissored' down onto the intercostal muscles that run between the ribs. He gave me anti- inflammatories and told me to take it easy for a while.

highland red
22-Jan-11, 22:44
Have suffered rib injuries over the years, cracked, bruised and broken: mainly Rugby league injuries.

One of the MOST painful though was a torn intercostal muscle, which took ages to mend.

ALL rib type injuries are agony: you can't breathe, cough or even laugh without excruciating pain. I was always told that you have to be patient, but I have known how I sustained these injuries in the first place.

If you are dealing with a wee one and she hasn't got any particular reason for the pain, I personally would persevere, and get on to your GP until they investigate further. If they are correct, then no harm done, but at least you have the peace of mind knowing that she's going to be ok.

All the best and hope she soon improves.
HR

evelyn
23-Jan-11, 09:55
Injuries to the intercostals between the ribs can also occur in the most normal of circumstances, and they are very painful. Sneezing or coughing at a certain point can cause the onset, as can twisting or turning. The worrying thing is when you experience pain without any obvious cause (I`m guessing this is the case), but be assured what your daughter is experiencing sounds just like torn intercostal muscles.
It takes so long to settle because the rib cage is forever expanding and contracting as we breathe (and we have to breathe) so the muscles don`t get proper "rest" so to speak.
Hope this helps.

cat
23-Jan-11, 13:49
iv had rib pains for years too.not nice and comes on very easily.took a while to get refered to physio and i had ripped pec muscles and a few of my ribs were squashed together. i found getting them spaced out sore and was awful the next day,so i try to do the stretches to prevent it happening again.
i would keep taking her to get it checked out properly as at least you will get peace of mind knowing what it is.

David from Stockport
25-Jan-11, 00:01
Ive had something like that for last 15 yrs ,just my left side and it gets worse as the day goes on -if i work a long day it feels like im walking with a bag of bricks hanging down the side of me . I go to the gym most days and just grit my teeth ,a couple of yrs ago had a hernia op so no gym for 6 weeks but side still not repair ,had it x-rayed nothing seen !!

lynne duncan
25-Jan-11, 02:05
well back at the docs today as she was so sore over the wekend, so now trying co-codamol and ibuprofen and will hopefully persuade her to go back for a while 2moro to sit a science test and then sit out of pe. and hope that the painkillers dinna start to knock her stomach too much or then we'll be back on the anti spasmodics.

and if it doesna settle by the next week to take her back