PDA

View Full Version : Appliance repair

porshiepoo
22-Jan-11, 14:03
I have a Hoover washing machine, can't be any more than 4 years old and the drum has started making a grinding noise when it turns. Then today I noticed all my clothes smelt of burnt rubber when I took them out of the machine. There's no smell of burnt rubber outside the machine - just inside.

Any one have any ideas what it could be? I've checked the door seal and there's no damage to that so it's not that causing the smell.

I'd really hate to have to buy a new one as this is a good machine but I know how expensive repairs can be, it's often cheaper to buy new.

My OH is pretty much able to fix most things but without knowing what to actually look for it'll be a bit of a struggle.

Maybe someone knows of a repair guy that doesn't charge the earth?

Kodiak
22-Jan-11, 14:25
Caithness Appliances

Address: 7,Barrock St,Thurso,Caithness,KW14 7DB
Telephone: 01847 891800
Email: motreid@tiscali.co.uk

poppett
22-Jan-11, 15:02
Alan Cameron at Alacam on Olrig Street in Thurso doesn`t charge megabucks and will give an honest opinion of the problem and the likely cost to fix it. Sounds like a drive belt of some kind.

DIYnot.com is a brilliant website with forum pages to post your problem, machine details etc., and you could get the answer there if your OH is a good fixer of things. Spares for all makes of machines available post free from candmdomesticappliances.co.uk I ordered springs for my machine for Alan to put on for me and they were reasonably priced and arrived the next day.

Good luck.

Ricco
22-Jan-11, 15:06
Sounds like the main bearing gone. Ours did that (and the seal around it went as well) - didn't cost huge sums to get it fixed.

Bob M
22-Jan-11, 21:12
Suggest you have a look on the E-spares web site not only do they supply the parts but there are some good videos showing how to fix many of the faults we are likely to come across.
To find them just google E-spares