PDA

View Full Version : Comfort Food

Lolabelle
22-Aug-06, 14:18
What's your favourite comfort food?
Dave is working late, (all night), and I went to the shops and bought a packet of snake lollies and a snickers. A lovely late night snack. A good hit of sugar before bed??? Probably not a real good idea.
What do you head for?;)

Chobbersjnr
22-Aug-06, 14:20
at the moment it's pickled chillies

or peanut butter & jam

gee
22-Aug-06, 14:29
barbecue flavour pringles or toast with loads of butter and a large glass of really icy diet coke

paris
22-Aug-06, 14:37
EVERYTHING !! lol jan x

Kingetter
22-Aug-06, 14:38
Aero Sticky Toffee Chocolate

sjwahwah
22-Aug-06, 14:49
at the moment it's pickled chillies

or peanut butter & jam
I too have a thang for Jalapenos or chillies and eschebeche but...I'm really into huge salads just now....

mixed leaves, coriander, chives, dill, spring onions & greens, red onion, cubed gruyere, maybe some parmesan if I got it, toasted pistachios, sunflower seeds, pine nuts and cashews, tomatos, olives, cucumber, dried cranberries or raisins or sultanas, croutons and currently Golachs own recipe dressing. delish! that time of year in the garden I suppose.

and been trying to perfect my homemade greek filo pies (great out of Qupi on Leith Walk, been tryin to get them to taste like that since the first time I had them) filled with spinach, feta, spring onion, nutmeg and pepper.... great with the salad!

or toast with a whole roasted bulb of garlic.. cannae beat it! and I could go on....

dragonfly
22-Aug-06, 15:30
gotta be hagan daaz! :cool:

squidge
22-Aug-06, 15:37
toast and butter and strawberry jam

mashed potatoes and gravy

cheese on toast

Wish
22-Aug-06, 16:03
Has to be Kettle Chips, sea salt and balsamic vinegar flavour,followed by Lindors:D

Carlo Gambino
22-Aug-06, 16:20
Pepperami, tomato,garlic bread toasties. beautiful

Murchiemannie
22-Aug-06, 20:05
a white chocolate Magmum ice cream lolly....MMMmmmmmmmm.

connieb19
22-Aug-06, 20:07
Has to be toast and butter.:Razz

Dreadnought
22-Aug-06, 21:10
Barbecue flavour Pringles spread with Philadelphia cheese. Hot buttered toast spread with smooth brussels pate. Rossi's vanilla ice cream (http://www.rossisicecreamparlour.co.uk/) with crushed salted peanuts sprinkled all over. Any of those and I'm happy. :)

Tiger Jones
22-Aug-06, 22:01
Ritz biscuits with peanut butter.
Lee's mint chocolate bars.
Mini cheddars (I'm far too greedy with those!).
Chocolate swiss roll.

Dunno what I'll have tomorrow though [lol]

Moby
22-Aug-06, 22:08
Has to be Nutella choc spread for me....................or lime doritos................or sweet chilli Nobby's Nuts......or.... the list is endless

Isis
22-Aug-06, 22:16
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/tv_and_radio/favouritefood_index.shtml

I don't agree with most of the link....

Probably mashed potato for me.

Kingetter
22-Aug-06, 22:19
Ice Cream is good - especially Puffin Poo from Shetland

mccaugm
22-Aug-06, 22:36
Tortillas with loads of grilled veg, chocolate...preferably Lindor, mashed tatties with real butter, pizza with spinach and goats cheese....yummy...:D

Lolabelle
22-Aug-06, 22:46
I too have a thang for Jalapenos or chillies and eschebeche but...I'm really into huge salads just now....

mixed leaves, coriander, chives, dill, spring onions & greens, red onion, cubed gruyere, maybe some parmesan if I got it, toasted pistachios, sunflower seeds, pine nuts and cashews, tomatos, olives, cucumber, dried cranberries or raisins or sultanas, croutons and currently Golachs own recipe dressing. delish! that time of year in the garden I suppose.

and been trying to perfect my homemade greek filo pies (great out of Qupi on Leith Walk, been tryin to get them to taste like that since the first time I had them) filled with spinach, feta, spring onion, nutmeg and pepper.... great with the salad!

or toast with a whole roasted bulb of garlic.. cannae beat it! and I could go on....

Your kidding right? That's not comfort food, is it? It looks like a really healthy meal. LOL [lol]

engiebenjy
22-Aug-06, 23:06
Toast and cheese sandwich (not melted) with brown sauce on -luvvly!!

sjwahwah
22-Aug-06, 23:09
Your kidding right? That's not comfort food, is it? It looks like a really healthy meal. LOL [lol]

can't beat raw veg out of the garden... quite a hit really. :)

Lolabelle
22-Aug-06, 23:12
can't beat raw veg out of the garden... quite a hit really. :)
Sounds like a plan, I think I will start getting my vege garden ready for planting again. The sun is out and I think it is time to venture back into the garden. Lawn needs a mow and I could do with a good bit of dirt under the fingernails.
Thanks sjwahwah, you've inspired me.

George Brims
22-Aug-06, 23:33
Guinness, the beer you can (almost) eat with a fork.

sjwahwah
23-Aug-06, 00:16
Guinness, the beer you can (almost) eat with a fork.

ok I admit it... I like a cold frothy Fraoch every now and again! that IS comforting.

Lolabelle... good on ya girl... can't beat growin' your own veg, fruit and herbs (our globe artichokes are almost ready.. can't wait!) and down under you've got a whole nother climate to play with! Sounds good.

Lolabelle
23-Aug-06, 02:59
Lolabelle... good on ya girl... can't beat growin' your own veg, fruit and herbs (our globe artichokes are almost ready.. can't wait!) and down under you've got a whole nother climate to play with! Sounds good.[/quote]

With Dave having grown up with his dad a market gardener (several hundred acres of veg), our little back yard plot (my idea) turned into a gigantic cultivation, and if he could have gotten the 4WD tractor and rotorary hoe in the gate he would have. I will have to post some pictures after I de-weed it. It's a tad messy at the moment. It got out of control last summer and I haven't looked at it since.

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 03:05
Lolabelle... good on ya girl... can't beat growin' your own veg, fruit and herbs (our globe artichokes are almost ready.. can't wait!) and down under you've got a whole nother climate to play with! Sounds good.

With Dave having grown up with his dad a market gardener (several hundred acres of veg), our little back yard plot (my idea) turned into a gigantic cultivation, and if he could have gotten the 4WD tractor and rotorary hoe in the gate he would have. I will have to post some pictures after I de-weed it. It's a tad messy at the moment. It got out of control last summer and I haven't looked at it since.[/quote]

Sounds like you could do with some Orgerisation there Lolabelle.

Big Jean
23-Aug-06, 03:30
All this talk of food is making me hungry !
One of my favourites is a large slice of French stick, slice of old cheddar cheese, cherry tomatoes and a glass of white wine .
Another fav. is a "gala" apple . mmmmmm good

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 03:40
cheese, crackers and red wine would do me.

sjwahwah
23-Aug-06, 03:41
i forgot... avocado spread on toast with ground pepper... :D:D

Big Jean
23-Aug-06, 03:43
Well now, I could substitute the bread for crackers and the white for a nice red wine too . Now I'm thirsty as well as hungry !!! No apple for you though ?

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 03:46
Well now, I could substitute the bread for crackers and the white for a nice red wine too . Now I'm thirsty as well as hungry !!! No apple for you though ?

Nup - no fresh fruit - really only like my fruit fermented/liquidised and called wine. Currently, Lidl's (ooops, am I allowed to mention that name? lol) Shiraz in a box.

Big Jean
23-Aug-06, 04:01
Sounds good to me box or bottle ! Chocolate covered strawberries would also go nice with either -- oops forgot no fresh fruit for you !!!!!

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 04:07
I might substitute Jacobs Creek for Shiraz - kinda like that stuff too.

sjwahwah
23-Aug-06, 04:33
theres been a few Hungarian ones I've had lately... pretty good stuff... I prefer white or rose tho.

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 04:43
Drunk whilst devouring a good goulash? way to go huh?

BLACK DOG
23-Aug-06, 07:06
Pizza - a nice and spicy one - with Ice Cold Lager!
Then more lager!.......
.....Then more lager.....

Get the idea:Razz

nicnak
23-Aug-06, 10:07
one of my favourites is steak pudding, chips,mushy peas and gravy! oh yum!

Billy Boy
23-Aug-06, 11:06
a rich tea biscuit and marmite:eek:

lynne duncan
23-Aug-06, 22:05
used to be a peechy's chip butty
but homemade rice pudding mmmmmmmmmm!
mars bar and cold coke
freshly popped popcorn with lashings of salt and melted butter
homemade cakes with butter icing
fried onions mushrooms and steak and chips
new groats tatties and butter
or toast and butter

and then scottish slimmers for help tying trousers!!!!!!!!

crystal
23-Aug-06, 23:48
my fave comfort food has to b chocolate!!! but if im not in the mood for that then crisps of any kind:lol:

crystal
23-Aug-06, 23:50
but homemade rice pudding mmmmmmmmmm!
mars bar and cold coke
freshly popped popcorn with lashings of salt and melted butter
homemade cakes with butter icing
fried onions mushrooms and steak and chips
new groats tatties and butter
or toast and butter

and then scottish slimmers for help tying trousers!!!!!!!! lookin at ur list makes me hungry lol:Razz

Big Jean
24-Aug-06, 00:07
Homemade rice pudding - hmmm- that does sound good lynne ! I haven't had that for so long, I forgot about it . I do like raisins in mine although my Mother used to tease us by saying they were flies !

changilass
24-Aug-06, 02:06
Poached eggs on toast

Mashed tatties

Homemade rice pudding

Anything with custard on it, or even custard on its own

Banana butties:D

And before anyone says anything............. YES I have got my own teeth lol

Kingetter
24-Aug-06, 02:11
Poached eggs on toast

Mashed tatties

Homemade rice pudding

Banana butties:D

Well would you use someone else's?

girnigoe
24-Aug-06, 15:03

Now yer talkin!! I really do miss those. They had to have loads of vinegar on them!!

Or is it just the case of wanting what you cant have?? :grin:

lassieinfife
24-Aug-06, 15:30
BBQ pringles with sweet chili dipping sauce..... but best of all anything chocolate ..which is a killer since I'm insulin dependant ..... oh well in another life:(

Micki
24-Aug-06, 16:35
It has to be chocolate or homemade pepperoni pizza:D

lynne duncan
24-Aug-06, 19:53
my mum used to groan at me but if we ever ventured over the ord then I grumped about the chip buttie until I got back home and as above you had to have plenty of vinegar
other favourite was and oggie's baked tattie out of the van in the market square on a saturday night

Ricco
25-Aug-06, 08:51
Toast - pureand simple. I class bread as one of mankinds greatest inventions. :D

golach
25-Aug-06, 09:28
Poached eggs on toast
Mashed tatties
Homemade rice pudding
Banana butties
Hmmph!! no mention of my Tattie Soup, I will remember that [evil]
She does have her own teeth, just ither bits o her that are false Lol

changilass
25-Aug-06, 10:02
Hmmph!! no mention of my Tattie Soup, I will remember that
She does have her own teeth, just ither bits o her that are false Lol

Comfort food is what you have when you are ill or feeling down, I feel great when I have your tattie soup:D

You leave my false bits outta this cuz, or there'll be bother:lol:

Rheghead
25-Aug-06, 11:02

I'm with SJ on this one, a nice salad with lashings of chillie sauce all over it, the hotter the better, yumm yumm:lol: