PDA

View Full Version : Watten School Crossing

Kodiak
21-Jan-11, 16:11
I have just heard on MFR that the Highland Council in their Wisdom have decided that the School Crossing in Watten no longer requires a Lollypop Person.

What, this is disgraceful as that road has quite heavy traffic and is dangerous. In my opinion the Lollypop persoon is necessary and should not be removed. How many agree with me on this?

lindsaymcc
21-Jan-11, 16:20
Although not going to be affected directly by the Watten crossing, it is happening all over the UK.

Where we used to live is having ALL the school crossing lollypop people laid off across the whole town.

We had a letter home from Miller academy today to say no crossing patrol on Janet Street until further notice - is this because of illness or cuts, we dont know.

Doreen
21-Jan-11, 16:31
I have just heard on MFR that the Highland Council in their Wisdom have decided that the School Crossing in Watten no longer requires a Lollypop Person.

What, this is disgraceful as that road has quite heavy traffic and is dangerous. In my opinion the Lollypop persoon is necessary and should not be removed. How many agree with me on this?What an utter disgrace because that road is pretty busy what next:mad:

Gronnuck
21-Jan-11, 16:35

What, this is disgraceful as that road has quite heavy traffic and is dangerous. In my opinion the Lollypop persoon is necessary and should not be removed. How many agree with me on this?

It seems that after there was no response to the advertisement for a replacement Lollypop Person the Council carried out a survey and found the crossing no longer met the criteria. A local Counciller has said it is after all a parent's responsibility.
I'm sure that the concerned parents of Watten will get together, work out some sort of rota and take turns to see their children safely across the road.

Dadie
21-Jan-11, 17:04
I think it should have a lollipop person as cars dont slow down as much as they should going through Watten and that is a busy main road.
It will directly affect me after the summer.
I can see Lauren getting out of school for lunchtime before I get Iona along from nursery to the school gates if nursery is running a bit late,.
I just hope Lauren wont try to cross that road on her own and will wait for me.
It is plain absurd that road does not meet the required criteria for a manned crossing as there isnt a zebra or a pelican crossing either, even Thurso High has a zebra crossing!

Vistravi
21-Jan-11, 17:13
Although not going to be affected directly by the Watten crossing, it is happening all over the UK.

Where we used to live is having ALL the school crossing lollypop people laid off across the whole town.

We had a letter home from Miller academy today to say no crossing patrol on Janet Street until further notice - is this because of illness or cuts, we dont know.

At least its not the princes street one! Thats a hard enough road to cross as it is at times.

changilass
21-Jan-11, 19:17
With the number of parents accompanying their kids to school, a crossing person is not really a requirement.

Surely the parents who are there will ensure the ones on their own will be able to cross safely.

Castletown School doesn't have a crossing patroller and they are on the main route.

flash
21-Jan-11, 20:02
An utter disgrace, that is a fast road, even with the 20s lit, Is it worth aproaching Highland Council Road Safety Dept, Community Council and the Police with a view to getting a pedestrian crossing installed.

David Banks
21-Jan-11, 20:41
I think it should have a lollipop person as cars dont slow down as much as they should going through Watten and that is a busy main road.

Cars NOT slowing down enough going through Watten was true over 40 years ago, and I am sure it has not got any better with time !

Dadie
22-Jan-11, 00:30
If anything its got worse, people slow to get a smilie face then speed up again!
And if you dont accompany your kids to school for whatever reason...how in blazes are you going to be sure they get there safely?
Kids, distractions,cars DO NOT MIX without a catastrophe and who will have to suffer that before the lollipop person is reinstated?

Metalattakk
22-Jan-11, 02:18
I'm beginning to wonder how parents these days teach their children to cross the road safely. Did they not learn the Green Cross Code themselves?