PDA

View Full Version : Disruption in shop

Fran
21-Jan-11, 02:24
No names mentioned, but I was very surprised at a wick supermarket not reporting a group of youths in their early twenties, who came into the store and swiped articles off shelves on to the floor in various places, threw boxes out of a metal container, pushed the metal container into a shopper etc. It was quite frigtening but none of the staff said or did anything. No wonder crimes are committed in shops when people get away with it.

Gronnuck
21-Jan-11, 08:37
No names mentioned, but I was very surprised at a wick supermarket not reporting a group of youths in their early twenties, who came into the store and swiped articles off shelves on to the floor in various places, threw boxes out of a metal container, pushed the metal container into a shopper etc. It was quite frigtening but none of the staff said or did anything. No wonder crimes are committed in shops when people get away with it.

How do you know the incident was not reported?
Were you a witness?
Do you know if the supermarket has CCTV?
What makes you think that the staff have any more of an obligation to confront such behaviour than any members of the public who were present?
Do you really believe that shop staff are in a position to challenge this sort of behaviour? Are they suitably trained for such eventuality? Are they paid enough to put themselves in position where their personal safety might be compromised?

IMO this sort of incident is quite rare. It's inexcusable. But for many people it is seen as someone else's problem - in this case you've chosen to target the shop staff. If you were there, did you do anything to challenge this group?

LMS
21-Jan-11, 09:58
Give Fran a break. She is a kind soul who posts with the best of intentions. Let the story unfold and keep the Gestapo style interrogation for more annoying, malicious posters.

The Music Monster
21-Jan-11, 10:06
I think very often people are too afraid to do something there and then. I hope there was some CCTV footage because small minorities like this can be really intimidating for other people.

And I think you were absolutely right to post this, Fran. If there is no public awareness of things like this happening then nothing will ever get sorted.

_Ju_
21-Jan-11, 10:37
Being caught up in the middle of something like that is very scary. I don't think that the shop staff did any wrong by not chalenging the savages there and then, as it might have given them a reason to attack a person, be it the person confronting them or a bystander. The tough thing though is that if they get away scot free, they will do it again and again. So I don't think that the shop did nothing. I am sure that they made a complaint with the police. Hopefully the immature idiots are easily identifiable and at least will be cautioned.
I have a funny feeling though, that these will be minors who believe themselves untouchable by the law. Kids nowadays look so much more grown-up beyond their years.

Gronnuck
21-Jan-11, 10:46
Give Fran a break. She is a kind soul who posts with the best of intentions. Let the story unfold and keep the Gestapo style interrogation for more annoying, malicious posters.

I apologise if my contribution appeared forthright and a bit brusque. It was not my intention to upset anyone. However I have to say that the OP appeared to infer that the shop staff was guilty of dereliction of duty because they appeared to do nothing. Even if that was the case surely we cannot hold them responsible for the actions of this ‘group of youths.‘

changilass
21-Jan-11, 11:02
This would be something for store security staff to deal with, NOT the general staff.

Security have training to deal with these incidents, general staff don't.

I believe that you need a certificate of some sort to be able to do security these days.

golach
21-Jan-11, 11:37

Hear Hear LMS

Moonboots
21-Jan-11, 12:36
This happens quite alot and the police do get informed and more or less do nothing.

In Wick , I have this problem every weekend with teenagers who are drunk!!!!! Yes i said Drunk....
I have contacted the police on various occasions and it usually takes them around 15 mins to come.
We currently do not have CCTV but are going to get it installed soon... Even though there are CCTV outside...

Kids from the ages of 12 - 16 are always roaming the streets in Wick at weekends drunk. They start fights etc inside premises. even the one i work in but i however manage to get them removed. Then all they do is stand outside and cause arguments with anyone passing by. As ive said i report this to the police.. They check the CCTV which in my mind is a waste of money and time. They say that they cannot see anything proper. So they send a car down which takes 15 mins.. no exaggeration... Only round the corner too.. Maybe they are out on another call though but theres more than one car... When they arrive, they sit in the car waiting to see what is happening before getting out and moving the drunk kids. All they do is ask them to move along even if they are staggering about and not lift them to take them home. 10 mins later and the kids are back again..

I am not putting all the blame on the police as the parents should also be taking responsibility with their kids. If the police take the drunken lot home then the kids might just start taking notice that the police wont tolerate this behaviour.

You dont see anything like this in Thurso as the police do take this sort of thing seriously.. so whats the difference.

Penelope Pitstop
21-Jan-11, 13:45
This happens quite alot and the police do get informed and more or less do nothing.

In Wick , I have this problem every weekend with teenagers who are drunk!!!!! Yes i said Drunk....
I have contacted the police on various occasions and it usually takes them around 15 mins to come.
We currently do not have CCTV but are going to get it installed soon... Even though there are CCTV outside...

Kids from the ages of 12 - 16 are always roaming the streets in Wick at weekends drunk. They start fights etc inside premises. even the one i work in but i however manage to get them removed. Then all they do is stand outside and cause arguments with anyone passing by. As ive said i report this to the police.. They check the CCTV which in my mind is a waste of money and time. They say that they cannot see anything proper. So they send a car down which takes 15 mins.. no exaggeration... Only round the corner too.. Maybe they are out on another call though but theres more than one car... When they arrive, they sit in the car waiting to see what is happening before getting out and moving the drunk kids. All they do is ask them to move along even if they are staggering about and not lift them to take them home. 10 mins later and the kids are back again..

I am not putting all the blame on the police as the parents should also be taking responsibility with their kids. If the police take the drunken lot home then the kids might just start taking notice that the police wont tolerate this behaviour.

You dont see anything like this in Thurso as the police do take this sort of thing seriously.. so whats the difference.

I'm not quite keeping to the thread here, but I've just got to ask what are the parents of these "12 -16 year olds" doing? Surely they notice when their kids come home drunk?:confused

teddybear1873
21-Jan-11, 13:56

If for some reason you think nothing was done, get contact with the corporate from the supermarket. Ask them what was done with the incident, if any that is. Everyone wants to feel safe doing their shopping. I would certainly email them, threating if you see this kind of behavour and nothing gets done about it, you will take you money elsewhere.

Within a few mins of the incident happening, security should have handled the situtation correctly and proceedings taken to get them barred from the shop. That's if security got involved, if they didn't, then that's bad management.

orkneycadian
21-Jan-11, 13:59
No names mentioned, but I was very surprised at a wick supermarket not reporting a group of youths in their early twenties, who came into the store and swiped articles off shelves on to the floor in various places, threw boxes out of a metal container, pushed the metal container into a shopper etc. It was quite frigtening but none of the staff said or did anything.

Joined and asked my Tesco Fishmonger the other day for some of the "coley" fish that Jamie Oliver had in his programme .. they didn't have it but my local fishmonger did.

Not a lot going for supermarkets these days! :)

Vistravi
21-Jan-11, 14:59
I'm not quite keeping to the thread here, but I've just got to ask what are the parents of these "12 -16 year olds" doing? Surely they notice when their kids come home drunk?:confused

Or do they care that they do? Sometimes this is the case. Can't understand it myself as when my son is this age and he came home drunk i would defintly be punishing him.

m_123
21-Jan-11, 17:38
If you were so concerned about what happened and the fact it may not have been reported---Did you do anything about it? did you report it?

Bazeye
21-Jan-11, 21:19

Maybe the teenagers in Thurso can hold their drink.

bluelady
22-Jan-11, 02:31
its getting all too commonplace now, youngsters geting drunk, staying out late and causing trouble, some parents dinnae seem to care their 12 - 16 year olds are out late at night doing who kens what- yet if anything was to happen to mummies little darling, they'd blame everyone but themselves. My kids were kept a close eye on and they never got into any trouble, they learnt to respect their elders and property. :(

David from Stockport
22-Jan-11, 14:06
As someone who has worked in Retail/Retail Security for the last 30 years ,all of it in the Manchester area i thought id just have my say .
1st -Wick is not like the inner city and although im sure there are some nasty guys there, it is not like they would not be known by somebody as they most likely live local (not like inner city were criminal gangs travel the motorway network ) .What would have been the best is for a Manager/Security Officer to have approached the guys in a firm but jokey way (not aggresive ) and show this group that you are not scared of them (even if ur) -by not doing so they have made it harder for next time .
As for Security staff being (badged) it means nothing at all .Security staff who work "in-house" do not need a badge but contract guards/Doorstaff do - to obtain a badge you have to do a "training course" but even if you fail u can just sit it again 20mins later and if u fail again the trainer just give you the answers anyway ,no longer such a thing as 10yr chechable work history as this would discriminate against those who havnt been in country 10weeks! (most applicants these days) .The biggest retailer near store i work for has 1 Security Officer who works for the reailer and 5 contract , the guy who works for the retailer doesnt even bother with most of the contract staff becouse they either cannot speak good English or if they are English they are fat ,untidy and illiterate and not bothered /scared of own shadow . Years ago I worked for the biggest Security firm in the uk at the time traing guards on stores -we had a director visit and I complained about the standard of staff I was getting sent , his reply was "if you think these are bad u should see the sh#t we send to the airport " .

Bazeye
22-Jan-11, 18:01
As someone who has worked in Retail/Retail Security for the last 30 years ,all of it in the Manchester area i thought id just have my say .
1st -Wick is not like the inner city and although im sure there are some nasty guys there, it is not like they would not be known by somebody as they most likely live local (not like inner city were criminal gangs travel the motorway network ) .What would have been the best is for a Manager/Security Officer to have approached the guys in a firm but jokey way (not aggresive ) and show this group that you are not scared of them (even if ur) -by not doing so they have made it harder for next time .
As for Security staff being (badged) it means nothing at all .Security staff who work "in-house" do not need a badge but contract guards/Doorstaff do - to obtain a badge you have to do a "training course" but even if you fail u can just sit it again 20mins later and if u fail again the trainer just give you the answers anyway ,no longer such a thing as 10yr chechable work history as this would discriminate against those who havnt been in country 10weeks! (most applicants these days) .The biggest retailer near store i work for has 1 Security Officer who works for the reailer and 5 contract , the guy who works for the retailer doesnt even bother with most of the contract staff becouse they either cannot speak good English or if they are English they are fat ,untidy and illiterate and not bothered /scared of own shadow . Years ago I worked for the biggest Security firm in the uk at the time traing guards on stores -we had a director visit and I complained about the standard of staff I was getting sent , his reply was "if you think these are bad u should see the sh#t we send to the airport " .

:eek::eek::eek:..........A real eye opener

The Drunken Duck
22-Jan-11, 18:08

Had to laugh at this, its what makes this site so funny in certain respects.

"Dont have a go at my mate like that, but please feel free to have a go in that manner at the people I dont like"

But you probably dont even see the hypocrisy do you ??

debimac
22-Jan-11, 20:51
Unfortunately in my opinion the offenders would be let off scot free and and the person who makes a stand would be prosecuted!
For example!!
Someone's ransacking your shop and you give em a slap over the head with a wet kipper, they would get a slap on the wrist and you would be done for gbh with a fish!??? :confused

Logical
23-Jan-11, 00:26
Unfortunately in my opinion the offenders would be let off scot free and and the person who makes a stand would be prosecuted!

How else are we to keep crime (statistically) on the decrease....

debimac
23-Jan-11, 01:19
It's only going to get worse down here as they are getting rid of a huge number of police officers!
My mate works in the local shop and she is the type of person to confront shoplifters!
Others turn a blind eye i think as they are too frightened to confront the people, as most of the time they are shoplifting to fund their habit drink or drugs!
It gets on my nerves to be honest as some of the people smile as they walk out of the shop knowing they will get away with it!! [evil]

Fran
24-Jan-11, 02:10
The incident was not reported.
There were 2 shoppers in the shop who reported it to staffseveral times.
I did not think the staff had an obligation to do anything other than phone the police. Im sure shop

should make the shop safe for shoppers. This was not safe for shoppers.
Shop staff should be in a position to have done something.
I have not targeted the shop staff, but they should have phoned the policre.
No I did not do anything to challenge this group, there were 10 or more of them and one of me.

Fran
24-Jan-11, 02:14
Being caught up in the middle of something like that is very scary. I don't think that the shop staff did any wrong by not chalenging the savages there and then, as it might have given them a reason to attack a person, be it the person confronting them or a bystander. The tough thing though is that if they get away scot free, they will do it again and again. So I don't think that the shop did nothing. I am sure that they made a complaint with the police. Hopefully the immature idiots are easily identifiable and at least will be cautioned.
I have a funny feeling though, that these will be minors who believe themselves untouchable by the law. Kids nowadays look so much more grown-up beyond their years.

They were not minors. They were in their twenties. In law, one shopper was assaulted (a large cage trolley with boxes of goods in it pushed into her side by these youths) complaints were made by the two shoppers in the store but no action taken.

Fran
24-Jan-11, 02:18
Yes i was concerned, and because nothing was done, im sure these lads, not from wick, will do this again. What was the point in me doing anything if the shop didnt even bother despite a complaint made to the shop b y one shopper who was hurt on the arm by a cage being pushed into her.

Mr P Cannop
24-Jan-11, 06:23
what shop in wick was this in ??

David from Stockport
25-Jan-11, 00:14
Am currently trying to get plod to lock up the leaders of 2 gangs each of who over last 7 yrs must have frauduantly got over a £million pounds of the retailer i work for ,done statements/exhibits etc -ive got hundreds of pages of info on both gangs but becouse they dont just hit my store but travel the whole country its like getting blood out of a stone ,to much hard work although ive done most of it .
The modern police force (sorry service) are crap !!! All they want is for us to have the offenders locked up in our holding room and then they can just turn up and £80 fine them .

bagpuss
26-Jan-11, 20:05
In one Tesco store in the S.East a number of similar incidents took place over a period of three months- each time captured on CCTV. Technically anyone is entitled to trash a store if they wish- if nothing is actually taken- what can one do anyway. however in the case of this particular store, the mother of one of the louts was offered a job with lots of overtime, and the next time her son and his buddies came in and pushed a trolley at her. Well, lets just say that he's lucky to still have both of his feet after surgery to remove three toes

muddywilli
26-Jan-11, 20:36
Well having read everyone's thought on this subject I'm pretty sure everyone is disgusted with the disgusting behaviour. A incident like this can make folk feel unsafe. I wish everyone in the country would just stand together when things like this happen. I don't mean little old ladies (mind some can hold there own) but surely there must of been a few strong minded and fit shoppers that could stand up to these youths and say enough is enough. Trouble is nobody stands together united anymore. It's ok to blame the local police but they are like every other establishment. Under staffed and tired. Also the police aren't sat drinking coffee, they are mostly out already when calls are recieved and it takes time to respond. Usually by the time they arrive the problem has vanished but thats not their fault.
My wife works in a shop in wick and wouldn't expect her to contront a group of trouble makers. Not trained or paid enough to deal with this type of problem. So what do we do next time it happens. Well how about making good eye contact with a few passers by. You will know by the look in their eye if they are prepared to stand united. I don't mean fisty cuffs and brute force just a show of strength to say people are not prepared to put up with such behaviour and down right bad manners towards people and places that we use and trust to be safe every day.
If all else fails go for the wet kipper... i liked that one.

mrlennie
26-Jan-11, 20:53
Never confront a trouble maker it only takes one physco to have a knife on him and your in hospital. If he's 16 he'll get 3 months in detention and more street cred meanwhile you may need care for the rest of your life. This kind of thing does happen.. Just leave them to mess about and hope the worse you get is a bad feeling as they pass you by.

muddywilli
26-Jan-11, 21:32
Ok point taken about confronting the trouble and getting wounded but just let them carry one regardless. Is this the way it has to be. It's a tricky one and i respect everyones opinon and no i don't fancy getting stabbed but maybe i am one of those few people that will stand up and be heard. No i would no get into a fight with anyone but most of the time it just needs a show of strength in numbers. Like a previous person stated where are the parents, where indeed. Prob stuck with their heads in the sand. Just to make myself clear, i do not recommend anyone stands up alone against thugs but if enough people did stand up and not turn away then less of it would happen.
Whilst on the subject of bad teenagers/ youths, am i the only person that ignorant school kids walk in front off when i'm driving in town and they stare right at you.Most do it just to wind motorists up and laugh. Is it just me. Lucky for Wick teenagers i drive a sign written van and cannot confront them as it would come back on my company as bad press.
Maybe it's all just down to the youth of today that stick their tiny heads in pc games and wouldn't know how to conduct themselves correctly in public if their life depended on it. Prehaps this is how society has become and we expect no better.. i think not!

herenow
26-Jan-11, 22:00
im with you muddywilly i think its sad days when ppl are scared in the own area because of a few fools that think they are it they need delt with but the police dont care and if you touch them you land inside u cant win

muddywilli
26-Jan-11, 22:08
Not saying do any touching.. perish the thought of catching that ignorance bug thing thats going round. Just stand proud.
Ok what if couple thugs came in to tesco lets say for example and kicked off. If everyone stopped what they we doing and just faced them and stared at them it may be enough to send them packing. You don't need contact or words in life to get the message across. (i know, i got a wife..lol)

mrlennie
26-Jan-11, 22:19
I wish it was that easy believe me they would love the attention

Logical
27-Jan-11, 00:07
Ok point taken about confronting the trouble and getting wounded but just let them carry one regardless. Is this the way it has to be. It's a tricky one and i respect everyones opinon and no i don't fancy getting stabbed but maybe i am one of those few people that will stand up and be heard. No i would no get into a fight with anyone but most of the time it just needs a show of strength in numbers. Like a previous person stated where are the parents, where indeed. Prob stuck with their heads in the sand. Just to make myself clear, i do not recommend anyone stands up alone against thugs but if enough people did stand up and not turn away then less of it would happen.
Whilst on the subject of bad teenagers/ youths, am i the only person that ignorant school kids walk in front off when i'm driving in town and they stare right at you.Most do it just to wind motorists up and laugh. Is it just me. Lucky for Wick teenagers i drive a sign written van and cannot confront them as it would come back on my company as bad press.
Maybe it's all just down to the youth of today that stick their tiny heads in pc games and wouldn't know how to conduct themselves correctly in public if their life depended on it. Prehaps this is how society has become and we expect no better.. i think not!

Just in the interest of confronting stereotypes, what newspaper do you read?

I disagree with about 90% of what you have said.

With a knife to your throat would you fight for the £50 in your wallet on principle?

And yes, some kids walk in front of cars in the road, but those of the last generation used cars and machines without any care for the environment. Sorry if I cost you an extra 5 seconds but your killed my planet.

Lucky for us? Is that some kind of very mild vague death threat? Lucky for you we don't leave nails on the road as we cross.

Blame the PC games, society, the media - maybe teens act this way because of the stereotypes forced upon us.