PDA

View Full Version : Scrabster Harbour Information

thirsaloon
20-Jan-11, 14:35
Wondering if anyone can help here? I’m looking for information on Scrabster.

In particular during the both World War’s, but anything really from the 1900s up to the 1960s.

It can be information about the troops passing through or staying in Thurso, the development of the harbour, fishing industry, harbour masters, the erection of housing or buildings, people who lived there etc

Any information or suggestions would be appreciated!

golach
20-Jan-11, 14:40
Contact Jock Mackay at Mill House Scrabster, he has lived there all his life, and is on the Scrabster harbour trust, I am sure he would help.

thirsaloon
20-Jan-11, 14:41
I have him on my hit list Golach, already made contact, but thanks for letting me know!

As far as I know a lot of the harbour records were all destroyed some years back, a great shame!

Dog-eared
20-Jan-11, 15:08
Try Jeff Leet of the Field Club.

thirsaloon
21-Jan-11, 14:32
Try Jeff Leet of the Field Club.

Been there also!

Kodiak
21-Jan-11, 15:00
Write to :-

The Information Officer
Northern Lighthouse Board
84 George Street
Edinburgh
EH2 3DA

They should be able to help with anything regarding Holburn Head Lighthouse, Scrabster, ie who was stationed there etc.

Fisherbigin
21-Jan-11, 22:36
thirsaloon,Have you read the book The Scapa Ferry,you will get a few pickins out of it

thirsaloon
23-Jan-11, 13:06
Have a copy of Scapa Ferry, thanks! :Razz

golach
23-Jan-11, 13:27
Ian Cassells published a wee book "Scrabster... the way forward" in 1993, it has a lot of interesting snippets, ask him, I think he is the Manager of Thurso Royal Mail

thirsaloon
24-Jan-11, 14:35
Ian Cassells published a wee book "Scrabster... the way forward" in 1993, it has a lot of interesting snippets, ask him, I think he is the Manager of Thurso Royal Mail

Thanks Golach, spoke to him on Friday! I dont know of any folk from Scrabster who are up in their 80s that could tell me the stuff I'm after.

golach
24-Jan-11, 16:37
Thanks Golach, spoke to him on Friday! I dont know of any folk from Scrabster who are up in their 80s that could tell me the stuff I'm after.
Contact Seadog on the Org, he is nearly that age group [lol]

seadog
24-Jan-11, 20:25
:D
Contact Seadog on the Org, he is nearly that age group [lol]

Golach, you have a cheek lol;)

Tugmistress
24-Jan-11, 20:53
:D

Golach, you have a cheek lol;)

I was going to suggest you too but i categorically state that you are not that age group yet! lol

thirsaloon
25-Jan-11, 14:42
Have I started something now regarding peoples ages!!! :lol:

seadog
25-Jan-11, 21:50
Hi thirsaloon, I was born and brought up in Scrabster so remember quite a lot from my childhood around the harbour. I went to sea at 15 and am still doing the same and using Scrabster on a daily basis. I did some harbourmaster work for the harbour from 85-89.

If I can be of some help to you send a pm and we can arrange a meet.

Dinna worry about golach, he is a good friend