PDA

View Full Version : How much things have gone down in price

teddybear1873
19-Jan-11, 23:45
Thought I'd start a new thread opposite from 'How much things have gone up in price'

The main thing I can think of that's gone down in price is electronics.

Around 1980-81 my brother bought VHS Ferguson VideoRecorder for around £800, as you know they were very basic back then. I remember the Music Shop in Thurso was selling Indiana Jones Raiders Of The Lost Ark, the VHS tape was about £65 or £70. It took me ages to safe up for that.

Does anyone know of any other products that were very expensive in the 70's, 80's or before? I know washing machines prices were very high in price, couldn't buy one for less than £500 in the 80's

theone
19-Jan-11, 23:47
I get chart CD's from amazon for about £6. Half the price I paid in the early 90's. Take into account inflation and it's probably closer to a quarter.

sandyr1
19-Jan-11, 23:51
What surprises me is the difference in price between Canada/ Us and the UK... I just heard today that petrol was approx One pound 40 p a gallon! And computers are also practically double the price in the UK
I just bought a 'good Netbook' 10inch for $199.00 and a couple of years ago a 'good HP Laptop' for $599. And a LG 42 inch 1080p TV for $599.....
But I see what you are getting at/ forgive my interference!

theone
19-Jan-11, 23:58
What surprises me is the difference in price between Canada/ Us and the UK... I just heard today that petrol was approx One pound 40 p a gallon! And computers are also practically double the price in the UK

I think comparing petrol between countries is a bit different to other goods, as it is taxation that makes up the big difference. The price of fuel (before tax) in most countries, I would imagine, would be similar.

I do notice that DVD's and computer games are much more expensive in Germany/Austria than in the UK. I'm not sure if this is a tax issue or just the policy of manufacturers to have different RRP's?

sandyr1
20-Jan-11, 00:13
I think comparing petrol between countries is a bit different to other goods, as it is taxation that makes up the big difference. The price of fuel (before tax) in most countries, I would imagine, would be similar.

I do notice that DVD's and computer games are much more expensive in Germany/Austria than in the UK. I'm not sure if this is a tax issue or just the policy of manufacturers to have different RRP's?

OK...Leave out the gasoline.....yes it is the tax.......but products are also tasked with Import Duties......
Was just looking at a BMW 335iX Presently our $ is at par with the US and the vehicle is $8,000 more expensive in Canada. Not right.

theone
20-Jan-11, 00:21
OK...Leave out the gasoline.....yes it is the tax.......but products are also tasked with Import Duties......
Was just looking at a BMW 335iX Presently our $ is at par with the US and the vehicle is $8,000 more expensive in Canada. Not right.

That's interesting. Is it the import tax or purchase taxes (VAT etc) that account for the difference or is it BMW's pricing policy?

It used to be cheaper to buy a car in Germany and import it to Britain than buying from a UK dealership. This was largely down to the manufacturers pricing. I'm not sure if that's still the case or not.

sandyr1
20-Jan-11, 00:28
That's interesting. Is it the import tax or purchase taxes (VAT etc) that account for the difference or is it BMW's pricing policy?

It used to be cheaper to buy a car in Germany and import it to Britain than buying from a UK dealership. This was largely down to the manufacturers pricing. I'm not sure if that's still the case or not.

Our HST...same as VAT is 13%. And the US has the same system as us altho' it is less than ours. Our HST...Harmonized Sales Tax is always added on to products
The prices are the MSRP....And if you buy a car in the US and then import it into Canada, you have someitmes to change itmes..e.g. daytime running lights,but they are quite unwilling to give you warranty!
Here if I buy a new one there is a 4 year....80,000km warranty.
If I buy a used on there is a 6 year 160,000km warranty....starting the day the vehicle was first registered. nd that is bumper to bumper.

Aaldtimer
20-Jan-11, 04:05
What surprises me is the difference in price between Canada/ Us and the UK... I just heard today that petrol was approx One pound 40 p a gallon!

We should be so lucky...it's that per litre![disgust]

sandyr1
20-Jan-11, 04:19
We should be so lucky...it's that per litre![disgust]

Sorry Aaldtimer....I meant One pound 40 a litre/ Must be Auld age gettin' to me! Just spoke to some relatives and they were telling me. Brora I think.

Corrie 3
20-Jan-11, 10:21
Digital Camera's have come down in price...A crap one cost me £200 in 1999 and yet last year I got a far superior one for £50.

C3...:)

Penelope Pitstop
20-Jan-11, 10:32
Unfortunately, I think this thread will soon be exhausted, as the only thing I can think of that's come down in price is, same as you, electronics :(

Kodiak
20-Jan-11, 13:14
Whisky has come down in price in real terms. When I was 18 it took a weeks wages to buy a standard bottle of Grouse. I am not sure what the average wage is today, £200 - £300 perhaps someone can say, but whatever it is you can buy a good few bottles of Grouse for a weeks wages.

orkneycadian
20-Jan-11, 13:29
All alcohol, not just whisky. My folks will recant that when they were young, they had to save up for months to buy a half bottle for New Year, and then, when the even did come around, it was dished out in peedie nip glasses so that it would last. Nowadays, alcohol is dashed nearly cheaper than water, and gets quaffed by the gallon. Although the duty on it has pushed pub prices up, the antics of the big supermarkets using it as a loss leader means I think a bottle of whisly costs less £ nowadays than I mind 30 years ago, and thats in price tag terms, not "real terms"!

Aside from that, cars are a lot chaepr in real terms nowadays. Mt Dad had a saying that a suit cost a weeks wages, a car, a years wages. Both, I expect would have been for "entry level" rather than luxury. With some cars on the road for about the £7k mark these days, I think it would be a struggle to find anyone in a proper full time job for that little.

oldmarine
20-Jan-11, 15:52
Thought I'd start a new thread opposite from 'How much things have gone up in price'

The main thing I can think of that's gone down in price is electronics.

Around 1980-81 my brother bought VHS Ferguson VideoRecorder for around £800, as you know they were very basic back then. I remember the Music Shop in Thurso was selling Indiana Jones Raiders Of The Lost Ark, the VHS tape was about £65 or £70. It took me ages to safe up for that.

Does anyone know of any other products that were very expensive in the 70's, 80's or before? I know washing machines prices were very high in price, couldn't buy one for less than £500 in the 80's

The Recession has driven down the price of many things, but I believe that to be temporary. It's a matter of time until the prices start going up again.

Dadie
20-Jan-11, 16:56
Asprin and paracetamol are cheaper now than a few years ago...

debimac
20-Jan-11, 17:14

Just as well! The amount i go through lately with stress headaches, worrying about the mess most of us are in at he moment money,jobs etc :confused

scorrie
20-Jan-11, 17:45
Moral standards are lower than they used to be!! ;)

orkneycadian
21-Jan-11, 18:09
Phone bills. Just filing away some, and its amazing how much less they are nowadays.

My last quarterly bill - Rental and calls - £40.35 - Post Office Phones
My last bill with BT (just over 1 year ago) - £84.07
Half a dozen years ago when still on ISDN (pre ADSL) - ~£150 - BT again

Corrie 3
21-Jan-11, 18:45
The price of peoples lives has gone down, a life is worth nothing these days. The Govt seem unable to stop the daily murders we read about and the lives of servicemen in an unwanted war.
Mind you, history tells us that we dont value other peoples lives as we should do!

C3....:(

northener
21-Jan-11, 22:08
Cars.
A lot cheaper now than they were 40 years ago.

Food.

Clothes.

trix
22-Jan-11, 01:29

illegal drugs too....

teddybear1873
22-Jan-11, 07:20
Internet prices have slashed. Can anyone remember what the average price for dial up was?..............Lets say around 1998. I honestly can't remember how much I paid, I do know I was delighted when I got free weekends.

lindsaymcc
22-Jan-11, 12:14
Although food prices are on the increase again, I still think they are cheaper now than 20yrs ago. I remember doing a weekly shop with my mum, and it would be around £40 (family of 4) and then another £10 in the butchers.

£50 on food 20yrs ago seems to me like a lot, when in comparison I did a weekly shop this week for a family of 5 for £60.