PDA

View Full Version : GP's or Managers

Garnet
19-Jan-11, 20:33
I am interested in what others think about this 'New' idea from the government or is it just picking up where maggie left off? :D / :confused / [disgust] ?

ducati
19-Jan-11, 23:06
I don't really understand it yet. Always amused at how much is attributed to Maggie though.

Kodiak
19-Jan-11, 23:08
As far as I understand this "New" Idea is for England and Wales and will not effect Scotland.

theone
19-Jan-11, 23:12
I've never worked in the health service but, in principle, I think the NHS is not dissimilar to any large scale business. Although they're often easy targets for criticism, I do believe that good management can make or break an organisation. The tabloids are quick to state how many nurses could be employed for each manager, but that, I think, lacks rational argument.

Look at any big, successful organistaion. Oil companies, or car manufacturers for example. They all have managers at various levels in frameworks that have been investigated, tried and tested. They have all these managers who, at the end of the day, aren't building the cars in the same way that hospital managers aren't treating patients, but they are required to make the business successful. The public sector has a lot to learn from the private sector in my opinion.

In my personal experience, a good engineer or technician does not always make a good manager. Management is a skill to itself and it is not suited for all. I think we've all worked with people who have been promoted from roles where they are effective to management roles where they are not.

I worry that good doctors and GP's might not necessarily make good managers, especially when formulating strategies and budgets.

I'd leave the management to proven managers and the doctoring to the doctors.

theone
20-Jan-11, 01:04
I don't really understand it yet.

The first step on the road to enlightenment is knowing that you know nothing ;)

Alice in Blunderland
20-Jan-11, 08:14
I'd leave the management to proven managers and the doctoring to the doctors.

Good idea however within the NHS if you were to ask some of the staff do the management leave the doctoring to the doctors/nurses you may find the answer is they dont ! ;)

Humerous Vegetable
20-Jan-11, 10:44
Some of us remember the last time GPs were given control of taxpayers' money 15 years ago, when they became fundholders and (most) made a complete and utter bollocks of it. The only result appeared to be that a whole new tranch of managers was employed, fund managers and accountants, to manage the budget for all the different practices, and one of the GPs used his underspend at the end of the financial year to buy a boat.

Hoida
20-Jan-11, 11:23
I didn't think that Scotland was going to come under this new proposal yet! I understood from the news that it was only England and Wales