PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Home Aid

lindsaymcc
18-Jan-11, 22:39
Evening all,

Does anyone know if the Home Aid warehouse is for the public to peruse/buy from or whether it is solely for storing items to donate to good causes?

I think we "qualify" for help anyway, but would rather pay something for what Im looking for as I can afford a set sum.

If anyone could help, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sarah
18-Jan-11, 23:41
I believe anyone can get as long as you give a donation. I got a sofa from them a few months ago, and gave a £20 donation. I just happened to mention to the local person I was needing a new sofa and he told me not to buy one, as one would surely come in. Sure enough, it did! I'm just a general person, I wouldn't say I am a good cause.

Kodiak
18-Jan-11, 23:51
To Qualify for help from HomeAid all you need to do is to get yourself referred to them from an official agency. IE Benefits Office, Highland Council etc etc. If you are on any form of Benefit such as Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Incapacity Benefit, etc etc you will get referred.

Unless they have changed the rules anyone can go along to the warehouse. There is an office there and there is someone there during office hours.

shazzap
18-Jan-11, 23:54
To Qualify for help from HomeAid all you need to do is to get yourself referred to them from an official agency. IE Benefits Office, Highland Council etc etc. If you are on any form of Benefit such as Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Incapacity Benefit, etc etc you will get referred.

Unless they have changed the rules anyone can go along to the warehouse. There is an office there and there is someone there during office hours.

I looked into this for some one, and you can self refer.

Kodiak
19-Jan-11, 00:04
I looked into this for some one, and you can self refer.

If this is the case then they have changed the rules by quite a bit.

shazzap
19-Jan-11, 00:12
If this is the case then they have changed the rules by quite a bit.

It was about 18 months ago. I contacted them on-line and filled a form in for the person, as they didn't have internet access. At the time the form was not going through properly, so the person then rang them to confirm certain details.

Kodiak
19-Jan-11, 00:33
It was about 18 months ago. I contacted them on-line and filled a form in for the person, as they didn't have internet access. At the time the form was not going through properly, so the person then rang them to confirm certain details.

I have just checked the web site and there is no real change in their rules. What you are are talking about is what is called a direct referal. This means that once a person gets in contact with HomeAid and asks for help they will ask what benefit they are on and then this information will be checked with the appropriate agency. If you are on a state pension you can apply direct without any referal.

This is exacly the same as it was when I was a Director at HomeAid, it is not really a Self Referal.

lindsaymcc
19-Jan-11, 09:15
Thanks for the help everyone.

Will go down to the shop later and see if they can help.

We get council tax benefit, housing benefit and incapacity benefit, so maybe they would help!

SunnyChick
19-Jan-11, 14:40
The staff at homeaid are really friendly and helpful.

You could try giving them a ring at the office on 01847 890696.

I think there is a waiting list for some household items, but I think there is sometimes a surplus of other furniture which is available to buy.

beetlecrusher
19-Jan-11, 20:21
Your health visitor can make a referral for you.