I N G R E D I E N T S

6 large onions
30ml/2 tbsp sunflower or olive oil
25g/1oz. butter
900ml/1 1/2 pints/3 3/4 cups french onion or veggie stock
A few handfuls of grated Gruyere or mature Cheddar cheese
Croutons
sea salt & freshly ground pepper

1. Peel and quarter the onions and slice or chop them into 5mm/1/4in. pieces. Heat the oil and butter together in a deep heavy-based saucepan, preferably w/ a medium-size base so that the onions form a thick layer.

2. Fry the onions briskly for a few minutes, stirring constantly, and then reduce the heat and cook gently for 45-60 minutes. At first, the onions need to be stirred only occasionally but, as they begin to colour, stir frequently. The colour of the onions gradually turns golden and then more rapidly to brown, so take care to stir constantly at this stage so they do not burn on the base.

3. When the onions are a rich mahogany brown, add the stock and a little seasoning. Simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes, then taste and adjust the seasoning according to taste.

4. Spoon the soup into four oven-proof serving dishes and place a few croutons in each. Sprinkle with the cheese and grill/broil for a few minutes until golden.

Serves 4

squidge
24-Aug-06, 09:23
I love this but i find that if i use a tin of campbells Beef consomme instead of stock the flavour is much better. Cant always get it but they have it in the grocers in Thurso.

Just follow sj's recipe till adding the stock then add the soup instead and some water to make up the quantity. thn i throw in some cheese into the mix when it is cooked before i put the croutons on

yummy

sjwahwah
24-Aug-06, 17:17
has to be one of my favourites! it makes the house smell luvly too! I usually use Kallo organic French Onion stock cubes... but, any ol' broth will do!:D

Wish
08-Oct-06, 23:33
Mmm sounds lovely, just the thing for fighting off colds and flu bugs too, ty:cool:

sassylass
21-Oct-06, 03:04
This soup is wonderful. The only thing I'll do differently next time is slice the onions very thin, and hopefully they'll cook down and brown quicker.