PDA

View Full Version : help with computer

katarina
18-Jan-11, 13:39
help!!! I can only start my computer in safe mode. I have read all the safe mode instructions that suggest what might be wrong, I have used registry booster to correct any registry faults, i have rune the computer's own 'tools' to scan for problems. Nothing works.
I have XP.

scorrie
18-Jan-11, 19:31
help!!! I can only start my computer in safe mode. I have read all the safe mode instructions that suggest what might be wrong, I have used registry booster to correct any registry faults, i have rune the computer's own 'tools' to scan for problems. Nothing works.
I have XP.

I would try a system restore to an earlier date and/or running antivirus and malware programs, as a first port of call. Registry tools are not my favourite.

katarina
18-Jan-11, 20:45
the system restore won't open and i have an antivirus program and malware.

kel24
18-Jan-11, 22:06
It could be a conflict with some hardware in your computer as i had the same problem not so long ago but managed to sort it out, i had to disconnect my dvd drive and sort out my hard drives as i had 3 of them inside my computer and now have just 2 larger ones, still not connected my new dvd drive yet but since disconnecting my old one i have had no problems at all!

dx100uk
18-Jan-11, 23:26
system restore is a last resort ideally in any situation.

if you have not added any additional physical hardware

i'd bet its a bad sector on the Harddrive.

boot into safe mode command prompt only

when it settle and you've got the flashing cursor _

type in

chkdsk c:*/f*/r<CR>

where * is a space

and <cr> is the enter / return key.

dx

katarina
19-Jan-11, 12:08
I did that and got the message chkdskc: is not a recognised command.

dx100uk
19-Jan-11, 12:35
opps

chkdsk*c:*/f*/r

should be another space between chkdsk and c:

dx