PDA

View Full Version : Whaligoe steps

William
21-Aug-06, 23:54
I was looking for thease a few weeks ago but there does not seem to be a sign or anything for it, why is this? is it not a visitor attraction thing does it not deserve a brown sign or something?

spurtle
21-Aug-06, 23:59
I think you'll find that there is no sign for the whaligoe steps as the council would then be bound to observe health and safety regulations. Sad isn't it?

goldenguernsey
22-Aug-06, 01:48
Have you been to Whaligoe steps then?

theone
22-Aug-06, 01:51
Had the same problem!

goldenguernsey
22-Aug-06, 01:55
What was that then? Not signposted? What a waste not to inform folks of the history, unbelieveable!

Tugmistress
22-Aug-06, 06:57
i only managed to find the place by using an ordnance survey map :roll:

well worth going out and buying one for the area, there is so much information on these maps !

edited to add ..
you have just given me a good idea (i think) , i will go and take a piccy of where to turn off the main A99(?) and then put a 'Whaligoe Steps' page up on my site :D

Naefearjustbeer
22-Aug-06, 09:07
http://www.scotland-index.co.uk/wick/Whaligoe/how_to_find_whaligoe_steps.htm

The link above will give you directions, Very good they are too.

Elenna
22-Aug-06, 12:07
http://www.scotland-index.co.uk/wick/Whaligoe/how_to_find_whaligoe_steps.htm

The link above will give you directions, Very good they are too.

Good? They are completely brilliant directions! Thanks loads for that Naefearjustbeer. There have been a number of times Saltire and I wanted to go see the steps, too, but we didn't have the foggiest idea where they were. I'm sure we can find them easily now, so all we need is a decent day with a little sun and not too much wind, and we can grab a picnic and sneak off for a while! :)

cuddlepop
22-Aug-06, 14:44
This links briliant.It took us ages to find the steps at Easter.Its a really earie place,its as if the people are still there working,spooky or what.:eek:
we went again this summer and saw things we missed last time.Thinks its a place thats diferent everytime you go.

Naefearjustbeer
23-Aug-06, 00:51
You really couldnt ask for better directions, It takes you step by step to the place. It has been a few years since I have been But I can remember trying to count the steps and failing miserably. I ran out of fingers and toes you see ;)

peter macdonald
23-Aug-06, 15:36
Its something which had puzzled me for a while why there are no signposts at Whaligoe or Sarclet haven or the ruined harbour of Clyth all of which have an amazing history so I went and asked the local councillor
His reply was to the effect that he had tried on more than one occasion to get the council to provide signs at Whaligoe and Sarclet but the council are very afraid of any liabilty claims which may arise if there are any accidents at these places. I see where they are coming from but what a shame !!!!
ps Probably not many folks know that Sarclet was for a short period the most successful herring fishing port on the Moray Firth!!

htwood
23-Aug-06, 19:21
The steps are well worth the search. Sassy and I found them by using the ordinance survey map, like tugmistress did. An amazing walk down to the water. We would have hated to do it barefoot in winter with baskets of herring on our backs.

William
23-Aug-06, 23:48
If the council were worried about people being hurt could they not stick some notices up sayin some thing like "enter at your own risk" type thing to cover them selves or does it not work like that? because it is a real shame for the tourists and even the locals not to be able to find or visit thease type places

sassylass
26-Aug-06, 03:25
As I recall we found it by the ordinance map and also by asking for directions. Folks were good about telling us exactly where to find it. A word to the wise, it's a fair climb down and back so wear good walking shoes. One of my knees was killing me for a couple days afterwards, and I consider myself fit enough. :eek:

highlander2222
26-Aug-06, 06:58
Going down was fine coming UP o my god so unfit. Was done for 3/4 days beware

golach
26-Aug-06, 09:31
A word to the wise, it's a fair climb down and back so wear good walking shoes. One of my knees was killing me for a couple days afterwards, and I consider myself fit enough. :eek:

You be careful with those dancers legs Sassy :~(

tenabowla
26-Aug-06, 09:45
We tend to go to the steps a couple of times a year and do also tend to take a picnic or at least a drink in preperation for the walk back up.

jim

hiyaitsfiona
02-Sep-06, 22:07
We went up and down the Whaligoe Steps last year - my Dad's cousin Hector took us there, and then went up and down with us- he was 80 years old! I'm glad not to have been one of the women back then going up and down with the baskets of herring- but it's well worth a visit!