PDA

View Full Version : Snail Mail?

changilass
17-Jan-11, 15:21
Just recieved a letter today which was posted in Wick on 23rd December, I think even a snail could have gotten here quicker.

Hoida
17-Jan-11, 15:43
I received a letter on Friday 7th January which was posted in Dingwall on 26th November!

Metalattakk
17-Jan-11, 15:46
Given the reported top speed of a snail (http://hypertextbook.com/facts/AngieYee.shtml) as 0.03mph, the distance travelled in 600 hours (the 25 days since the letter was posted) would be 18 miles.

Wick is 15.6 miles from Castletown. So yes, 'snail' mail would indeed have been quicker. :D

Edit: Of course, that suggests that the poor snail didn't stop to sleep or for Christmas or Hogmanay celebrations, unlike those lazy Royal Mail Posties!

gleeber
17-Jan-11, 15:50
Given that a snail has neither the resources nor the intelect to deliver the mail my monies still on the postie.

stroma88
17-Jan-11, 16:53
im kind of glad to hear this in a strange kind of way!!! i posted a jacket down to england on the 30th of december and they guy still hasnt got it. it was an ebay item so he was asking for a refund! :s Hoping its just the same case and its not completely lost!

Kevin Milkins
17-Jan-11, 17:46
I got a card from the post office through the door after christmas informing me that I had an item to be collected from the sorting office because the postage was not sufficiant to cover it's delivery cost.:confused

When I collected it, it was a christmas card that had been posted without a stamp.:mad:

Appart from having to pay the postage plus a pound admin fee, we have no idea who it was off.:eek:

stekar
17-Jan-11, 17:46
Mad as it seems, all mail goes down to Inverness then back up again!

Beat Bug
17-Jan-11, 18:17
A letter with a second class stamp posted to us from the south coast of England arrived the next day. Another, posted first class from Scrabster, took 2 weeks!

achingale
18-Jan-11, 12:20
Weather to blame?? I too have had mail sent locally only to get it almost a fortnight later. Just glad I was not in a hurry for it. But I still take my hat off to the posties who have had to work in very difficult conditions. Things should ease a little now with any luck.

oldmarine
18-Jan-11, 16:02
Just recieved a letter today which was posted in Wick on 23rd December, I think even a snail could have gotten here quicker.

Modern technology with email makes mail move much faster. I have seen a lot of fantastic advances during my 85 years on this mud ball called Earth. Here I am living in Tucson, Arizona leaving messages half way around the world to Caithness, Scotland where I was stationed years ago.

ducati
18-Jan-11, 16:14
Modern technology with email makes mail move much faster. I have seen a lot of fantastic advances during my 85 years on this mud ball called Earth. Here I am living in Tucson, Arizona leaving messages half way around the world to Caithness, Scotland where I was stationed years ago.

And I for one love to hear from you. I can tell you, physically, Caithness won't have changed that much. How about Tucson, I've never been there and imagine wooden buildings with a water tower and a general store with hitching posts. What is it really like?

ChuckBuscuits
18-Jan-11, 22:56
did it have the full postcode on it?

ChuckBuscuits
18-Jan-11, 22:59
Mad as it seems, all mail goes down to Inverness then back up again!
not all mail.only if it's collected after a certain time.

Serenity
18-Jan-11, 23:11
not all mail.only if it's collected after a certain time.

All mail that's not posted in the few Caithness only postboxes I thought?

ChuckBuscuits
19-Jan-11, 18:46
not sure about thurso area but mail collected in wick before 2pm is sorted into 1st,2nd class.1st class local stays,rest goes south for sorting by machine.i'm led to believe.