PDA

View Full Version : Accident Miracle

Fran
21-Aug-06, 23:29
Did anyone see the accident on the Wick to thurso road soon after the left hand turn off to Halkirk on the straight bit of road this morning about 10.30??
A grey car swerved and overturned completely and was severely crushed. how it didnt hit any of the other many vehicles I dont know. the miracle was that the driver, wearing a blue shirt, managed to get out of the car and seemed unhurt, standing looking at his car rubbing his head in amazement.
Just after this, the ambulance, police and 2 fire engines arrived. all drivers were very sensible and helpful, well done to all of them, and i do hope the poor motorist has made a full recovery now. Shame about his car .

MadPict
21-Aug-06, 23:54
Must have been wearing his lucky blue shirt......

theone
22-Aug-06, 02:05
Did anyone see the accident on the Wick to thurso road soon after the left hand turn off to Halkirk on the straight bit of road this morning about 10.30??
A grey car swerved and overturned completely and was severely crushed. how it didnt hit any of the other many vehicles I dont know. the miracle was that the driver, wearing a blue shirt, managed to get out of the car and seemed unhurt, standing looking at his car rubbing his head in amazement.
Just after this, the ambulance, police and 2 fire engines arrived. all drivers were very sensible and helpful, well done to all of them, and i do hope the poor motorist has made a full recovery now. Shame about his car .

The Wick to Thurso road?

You must mean the Thurso to Wick road!

Kingetter
22-Aug-06, 02:20
Certainly wasn't his time to go (upstairs?).

2little2late
22-Aug-06, 23:10
The Wick to Thurso road?

You must mean the Thurso to Wick road!

If you read the statement it states "after the left hand turn off to Halkirk". Therefore the driver was travelling towards Thurso. Hence the Wick to Thurso road.

Julia
23-Aug-06, 16:03
I arrived on the scene having just missed the car landing, tried to coax the chap out of his upturned car but he wasn't moving, he was in quite a state of shock understandably, he got out after a few minutes. The other guy who was there said he overtook him at speed and the car just took off into the air. I have no idea which direction he was travelling. The emergency services took a good five minutes to get to him, plenty of drivers were there to help, he's very lucky indeed.

George Brims
23-Aug-06, 18:29
Julia in your efforts to help you did *exactly* the wrong thing. Unless the car is on fire, you should never encourage a victim of such an accident to move or even try to move. The driver should have had a neck brace fitted before he was moved. Best thing to do is to hold the person's hand, talk to them and reassure them the emergency services are on the way.

Yvonne
23-Aug-06, 18:52
He will no doubt be in hospital overnight for observation.Incredibly fortunate he appeared not to have any broken bones! Delayed shock is not uncommon. I do hope he has a speedy recovery.

htwood
23-Aug-06, 19:17
"overtook him at speed" yeah that will launch a car LOL sorry, no sympathy today for reckless driving (must be the fire department history in my blood, where the question is always, did he cause this himself?).

Very glad no one was injured. Let's hope Mr. Speedy learnt a lesson.

Murchiemannie
23-Aug-06, 20:44
got to agree with htwood. see those sort of accidents quite a lot in my neck of the woods.
Seem to have a death wish on them..overtaking on bends as well as the straight bits of road. They don't seem able to judge the speed of the oncoming vehicles half the time, either that or they are hell bent to get to their destination in as little time as possible. Then when you get to the roundabout or road junction, where are they........right in front of you in the queue!! I rest my case.
Glad the driver is OK and hope it has taught him a lesson in patience.

Woolie
23-Aug-06, 22:04
Geez think he should buy a lotto ticket this week sounds like had luck on his side.

Julia
26-Aug-06, 14:59
Julia in your efforts to help you did *exactly* the wrong thing. Unless the car is on fire, you should never encourage a victim of such an accident to move or even try to move. The driver should have had a neck brace fitted before he was moved. Best thing to do is to hold the person's hand, talk to them and reassure them the emergency services are on the way.

I know exactly what to do in the event of an accident, he was obviously unhurt as he was moving freely, I thought it better he come out than the car go on fire with him inside, which we thought it might!

muddywilli
27-Aug-06, 09:45
Well i am glad to hear the driver was ok, thats the most important thing. Life is far to short without speeding the process up (excuse the punn).
Well after spending alot of time around Wick, Thurso, Watten, Milton and Inverness in the last few months, I think people in this neck of the woods drive far to fast. Maybe it's the open roads, maybe the lack of congestion or just running late. Please you just don't get there any quicker by overtaking and driving like a nutter. You always arrive at your destination in the same amount of time. Unless of course you drive an old landrover, in that case you are always late.

katarina
27-Aug-06, 11:37
I'm surprised at the number of times i've been overtaken just before the 30 sign. Then they immediately have to slow down. why are people always in such a hurry?