PDA

View Full Version : The impossible

billmoseley
17-Jan-11, 14:12
Do you think it's possible to have just 1 thread where no one is vindictive or nasty in it. lets see how far this one gets before something is said [lol]

Corrie 3
17-Jan-11, 14:16
Do you think it's possible to have just 1 thread where no one is vindictive or nasty in it. lets see how far this one gets before something is said [lol]
Do we get threads with nastiness and vindictiveness in them Bill ?

I havent noticed any !!!

C3....[lol]

billmoseley
17-Jan-11, 14:20
now and again c3

DeHaviLand
17-Jan-11, 15:11

You're kidding right! You really are as stupid as you look if you think thats ever going to happen on here. This is Caithness we're talking about, not some civilised part of the country. Whoops, that didnt last long! :lol:

disclaimer: never having met Billmo. I have absolutely no idea if he looks stupid or not, and all comments are said in jest

domino
17-Jan-11, 15:11
Bill
You live in hope

Hoida
17-Jan-11, 15:45
That is what makes the posts interesting !

Metalattakk
17-Jan-11, 16:36

There are knitting forums you can join. Just search using google.co.uk. ;)

canadagirl
17-Jan-11, 16:59
Good grief! My words exactly! I've been on the Org for a month or so as am coming to Caithness for the first time, and I cringe every time I see a nasty or vindictive post. It seems that everyone here should have a common interest and be supportive of each other, and also realise that a great many people are listening in. I almost feel I'll be hesitant to start a conversation with anyone for fear of a nasty reply! Maybe some Canadian warmth will go a long way! :D

Corrie 3
17-Jan-11, 17:24
Good grief! My words exactly! I've been on the Org for a month or so as am coming to Caithness for the first time, and I cringe every time I see a nasty or vindictive post. It seems that everyone here should have a common interest and be supportive of each other, and also realise that a great many people are listening in. I almost feel I'll be hesitant to start a conversation with anyone for fear of a nasty reply! Maybe some Canadian warmth will go a long way! :D
Of course you will be given a warm reception when you land in Caithness CG !!! We are a friendly lot and always support each other. I dont know where these nasty posts are, I think I must be looking at the wrong threads cos I have never seen one!!
Dont be hesitant, no one will bite your head off, they may bite your neck in Portgower though so be warned....lol...:roll:

C3...;)

squidge
17-Jan-11, 18:00
I don't think there is too much pure nastiness just now. Discussions can get very heated when talking about emotive issues but there has been little in the way of nastiness.

billmoseley
17-Jan-11, 18:09
don't worry when you get here they are the nicest people i think i have ever met i have been made to feel so welcome

golach
17-Jan-11, 18:16
Maybe some Canadian warmth will go a long way! :D

At least two of the Canadian Orgers I know go to Florida in the US for warmth :lol:

George Brims
18-Jan-11, 03:50
A lot of them Canucks head our way too, in their RVs. "Snowbirds" we call them. You know when spring has sprung in Canada when they all appear on the freeways, heading North.

northener
18-Jan-11, 08:57
To be honest most of the flak that goes up on here tends to be well deserved. There will always be those who insist upon posting ridiculous statements and who then become offended when no-one agrees with them.
I've seen very few 'nasty' posts. Heated, yes, plenty.

As a rule I'd say don't post anything that could attract an opposing viewpoint if you are somewhat 'delicate'. The last thing I'd want to see is this place turning into some puke inducing sychophantic group hug-fest where everyone has to be 'nice' to each other.

ducati
18-Jan-11, 12:15
To be honest most of the flak that goes up on here tends to be well deserved. There will always be those who insist upon posting ridiculous statements and who then become offended when no-one agrees with them.
I've seen very few 'nasty' posts. Heated, yes, plenty.

As a rule I'd say don't post anything that could attract an opposing viewpoint if you are somewhat 'delicate'. The last thing I'd want to see is this place turning into some puke inducing sychophantic group hug-fest where everyone has to be 'nice' to each other.

I absolutely agree with your post there N as I do with all your others :eek: it would be a travesty if everyone always agreed and were nice to each other all the time.

Keep up the good work :D

Whitewater
18-Jan-11, 12:51
I've been both vindictive and supportive on the org. I don't think anybody initially sets out to be nasty but it happens. Some debates become very heated and sometimes things are written which may hurt others, but there are also one or two orgers who take great pleasure in being nasty, they think they are supperior to the rest of us and therefore have the right, but there are many very clever people on here who without too much difficulty can usually put them in their place with some well thought comment.

neilsermk1
18-Jan-11, 13:37
I have to say that during the short time i have been using the Org. I have not encountered anything outrageous. I have certainly observed some pretty passionate and robust debate, but no worse than a discussion in the pub. Debates of this nature are to be encouraged, however they should never become a personal slanging match.
It is true that there are self appointed inteligensia out there who will pick up on spelling and grammatical errors, I just tend to smile at such comments.

Coming to Caithness from Canada you will find that there is a lot of similarity in the openess and attitudes of our respective populations, and in common with Canada we too have our fair share of nuggets. Dont let that put you off, the majority are great folks.
Look forward to seeing more post's from you when you arrive.
N

mrlennie
18-Jan-11, 14:49
The last thing I'd want to see is this place turning into some puke inducing sychophantic group hug-fest where everyone has to be 'nice' to each other.

Nothin wrong with a bit o group huggin ;)

northener
18-Jan-11, 15:01
Nothin wrong with a bit o group huggin ;)

And you wonder why I was so keen to get you through your test in record time......:eek:

mrlennie
18-Jan-11, 15:48
And you wonder why I was so keen to get you through your test in record time......:eek:

Lol I can't think of a reply to that which would make me sound normal...

billmoseley
19-Jan-11, 10:34
There are knitting forums you can join. Just search using google.co.uk. ;)

i have read many a yarn in these forums but they just needle me and people are always trying to stitch me up so i cast them off to one side

Metalattakk
19-Jan-11, 11:56
i have read many a yarn in these forums but they just needle me and people are always trying to stitch me up so i cast them off to one side

*B-dum Tish!*

That's a purl of a reply.

The Drunken Duck
19-Jan-11, 14:55
I submit the "Do you like Olives" thread as an example of internet harmony.

Cant even begin to imagine how that could possibly turn nasty.

Blarney
20-Jan-11, 00:39
I submit the "Do you like Olives" thread as an example of internet harmony.

Cant even begin to imagine how that could possibly turn nasty.

I thought that was a rather pointless thread really -one that you could simply answer yes or no to. If people had done just that it wouldn't have been much of a conversation starter!

canadagirl
20-Jan-11, 00:55
I thought that was a rather pointless thread really -one that you could simply answer yes or no to. If people had done just that it wouldn't have been much of a conversation starter!
Ah, but that's the rules of conversation, you have to throw the ball back. You could say:" when I was in Italy..." "my favourite olive recipe is..." "do olive trees grow around here..." "i've never tried olives,what do you think is the best type..." etc :Razz

northener
20-Jan-11, 09:00

Yes.......:Razz

Corrie 3
20-Jan-11, 10:11
Yes.......:Razz

No !!!

C3....;)

The Drunken Duck
20-Jan-11, 11:19

Yeah me too .. but how funny would that have been if it had gone nasty ??, the for and against olive brigade going rampant would have been quite amusing.

That was almost as boring a topic as listening to two guys in my local discussing the newly erected "Squirrel Crossing" signs that our local council have seen fit to spend our hard earned cash on. That only livened up when I convinced one of them that the signs had only gone up after SSPCA people had spent months training the squirrels to cross at that point. There then followed a debate not on why or even how they had could have possibly been trained but why that particular spot had been chosen.

Meanwhile I just sat enthralled by it all, best fun I have had in ages.