PDA

View Full Version : Litter louts targeted

fender
16-Jan-11, 21:37
In case you have all missed this Litter Enforcement officers will be operating in Wick and Thurso from tomorrow and for the next 2 weeks. This was reported in the Groat on Friday but by the lack of any comment on here I gather that it has been missed.

Kodiak
16-Jan-11, 21:48
It is about time as well.

Sage
16-Jan-11, 22:06
I hope they patrol at lunchtimes and get the kids from Thurso High School who drop their litter all over town

My daughter would never dream of doing that, and those kids give our a bad name [evil]

Be interesting to see where they go and how many people they stop!

changilass
16-Jan-11, 22:09
For any smokers, mind and dinnae stub a fag out on the floor, or they'll have you.

gollach
16-Jan-11, 22:11
I hope they patrol at lunchtimes and get the kids from Thurso High School who drop their litter all over town

My daughter would never dream of doing that, and those kids give our a bad name [evil]

Be interesting to see where they go and how many people they stop!

Yes. Let's see them target Princes Street at lunchtimes.

pat
16-Jan-11, 22:50
When the pubs/nightclubs end and the folk head for the chippies/take aways then throw their rubbish wherever they feel with the attitude its dark no one can see us.

how often do you wander down town in the morning and are disgusted at the amount of takeaway/chip wrappers, cans - wonder will the Litter Wardens in Caithness work at night?

Doreen
16-Jan-11, 22:55

Be interesting to see where they go and how many people they stop!Thank goodness for that im in heathfield road and the high school kids just drop the litter in front of your eyes i darent open my mouth because i know i will get a mouthful of abuse i always taught my children not to drop litter and till this day i still get pockets full of wrappers i somtimes forget to cheack before putting their clothes in the wash just to find my washing machine full of wrappers but its better that than on the road

Gizmo
16-Jan-11, 22:55
In case you have all missed this Litter Enforcement officers will be operating in Wick and Thurso from tomorrow and for the next 2 weeks. This was reported in the Groat on Friday but by the lack of any comment on here I gather that it has been missed.

Why only 2 weeks?, this should be a permanent thing.

Blarney
16-Jan-11, 23:04
Why only 2 weeks?, this should be a permanent thing.

Totally agree! There is currently no deterrent for litter louts so full time officers might push the message home. I hope that they are effective in halting the throwaway culture.

Garnet
17-Jan-11, 00:34
I hope the Wick ones also target the lunchtime high school kids who decend on the co-op, down Francis St (Mcdonalds) the corner at Thurso Street down bridge street into high street...the mess left behind is awful and as mentioned the late night brigade with the fish & chip boxes etc. fines for dropping litter is not new but left to the police they got dogs abuse and I don't think it got much support, so power to their elbows.

Connor.
17-Jan-11, 04:58
For any smokers, mind and dinnae stub a fag out on the floor, or they'll have you.

To be honest, there should be more cigarette bins about then maybe that would be an option.

ducati
17-Jan-11, 08:51
I have a part time job that allows me to pick up litter in my village. Amazing build up over the few weeks of snow that have curtailed activities and I'm just getting on top of it again now. I must admit when I visit Wick and Thurso I start twitching at the sight of all the litter and wonder who picks it up.

golach
17-Jan-11, 10:57
To be honest, there should be more cigarette bins about then maybe that would be an option.
Why??? Cigarette smokers should take more responsibility and dispose of their rubbish properly!!!!

pat
17-Jan-11, 11:30
Thank goodness the folk in Caithness do not live in Sngapore - for the benefit of their purses.

can remember the fine for even having chewing gum was £1000, it is not allowed to be brought into the country.
cigarette stub is again I think about £1000
other litter - is up to the discretion of the law - and the law is extremely hard on the folk who flout the law

Wonder how long before this happens in UK???? Singapore is an immaculately clean island due to their administered laws on just about everything.

Connor.
17-Jan-11, 11:47
Why??? Cigarette smokers should take more responsibility and dispose of their rubbish properly!!!!

How exactly would be go about doing that if we didn't have disposal units for them like I already mentioned?

There is always a few idiots who don't put their cigs out before putting them in a bin, then next thing you know the whole bin is on fire. I've seen it before and had to put it out once as no one else bothered.

This is gonna bring up a debate over "cigarettes right or wrong" but they are legal and they should cater for that.

golach
17-Jan-11, 12:06
How exactly would be go about doing that if we didn't have disposal units for them like I already mentioned?

Simples!!! carry your own form of receptacle, take you fag ends home, and then throw then on your carpet

Sandra_B
17-Jan-11, 18:00
The path from Tesco to the High School is an absolute disgrace, plenty to keep litter enforcement going just there alone!

Blarney
18-Jan-11, 00:01
It's the flagrant disposal of litter that gets me. It's as if the culprits deliberately look for the most inventive place to display their litter as if to flaunt to everyone, 'Hey look at me I don't care'. I walked down from the hospital in Wick today and there was a strategically placed pizza box perched in the trees outside the library. The sooner fines are imposed the better.[disgust]

pat
18-Jan-11, 11:16
Hope it is not just the litter louts who are going to be watching before they drop the litter - all the folk dumping washing machines, fridges, building materials etc down by the beaches, road ends, ditches will be hoarding the stuff for 2 weeks until the coast is clear so they can continue fly-tipping wherever they want, making the county full of eyesores due to their thoughtlessness, inconsideration and laziness.

Wizzbang
18-Jan-11, 18:32
They should keep an eye out for owners who dont pick up after their dog. It seems rife in Thurso .

ChuckBuscuits
25-Jan-11, 20:20
Simples!!! carry your own form of receptacle, take you fag ends home, and then throw then on your carpet
who throws their fag ends on their carpet?
how about we take them and throw them on your carpet?simples

ChuckBuscuits
25-Jan-11, 20:24
all cities have bins for rubbish with a bit on top for fag ends.if they have them and this law is to be enforced up here then they should be supplied.keep scotland/britain tidy

Stack Rock
25-Jan-11, 22:22
all cities have bins for rubbish with a bit on top for fag ends.if they have them and this law is to be enforced up here then they should be supplied.keep scotland/britain tidy

Unfortunately there is a slight problem to your suggestion - Caithness is the windiest place on the planet so any 'ash tray' on the bin would need a self closing lid.

gollach
25-Jan-11, 22:24
Has anyone heard of any on-the-spot fines for littering being issued while these people were targeting the county?

ChuckBuscuits
25-Jan-11, 22:30
Unfortunately there is a slight problem to your suggestion - Caithness is the windiest place on the planet so any 'ash tray' on the bin would need a self closing lid.
haha very true
soon we won't be able to smoke in public anyway so no need for the bins with ashtrays[lol]