PDA

View Full Version : Caves ?

onecalledk
16-Jan-11, 14:10
hi there,

does anyone know of the existence of caves along the north coast between castletown and john o groats? or from John o Groats down to Keiss?

If so can you enlighten me ?

cheers
K

Dog-eared
16-Jan-11, 15:05
I would imagine there are dozens, same as elsewhere in Caithness. Have you tried looking on Ordnance survey maps?
Caves are usually marked on them. Does the Library stock O.S. maps perhaps ?

Mystical Potato Head
16-Jan-11, 15:12
Heres an online map that gives caves along the coast.Just search the coastline you want ,zoom in and it shows where the caves are.
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/sc-14952-holborn-head-lighthouse-and-attached-keep/osmap

David Banks
17-Jan-11, 06:03
That on-line map did not identify either of the caves I used to know in the Scarfskerry area.

One was in what I called Benlea goe (called Ebbs goe on the map) which was just east of the house called Benlea, a couple of doors east of the Baptist church. You have to wait for low tide, but there is a sizeable cave on the east side of the goe, well worth a visit.

The other one we called the Manse cave because it was down behind the Baptist manse. It was a bit more difficult to climb down to, and again had to be entered at low tide.
Since we did not use lights/torches it took 20-30 minutes to feel our way to the back of these caves, disturbing the odd pigeon on the way, but coming out was a five minute job with the light now in front of us.

Just to the west of the manse cave is the Puffag which is a cave whose upper edge is at the height of the mid tide. Once the mouth is closed over by water and the pressure builds up inside, it then sprays out a jet of water. I am told it was much more spectacular in the 30's and 40's. If you are around the back of the puffag, you gan hear the somewhat eerie sound of air escaping through the rocks as the pressure builds up from time to time.

Hope this helps.

Dog-eared
17-Jan-11, 12:38
Online maps don't appear to have enough detail to show all the caves.
For the Groats area, try calling North Coast Adventures http://www.northcoast.fsnet.co.uk/scenery.html

David Banks
17-Jan-11, 21:31
That on-line map did not identify either of the caves I used to know in the Scarfskerry area.

One was in what I called Benlea goe (called Ebbs goe on the map) which was just east of the house called Benlea, a couple of doors east of the Baptist church. You have to wait for low tide, but there is a sizeable cave on the east side of the goe, well worth a visit.

The other one we called the Manse cave because it was down behind the Baptist manse. It was a bit more difficult to climb down to, and again had to be entered at low tide.
Since we did not use lights/torches it took 20-30 minutes to feel our way to the back of these caves, disturbing the odd pigeon on the way, but coming out was a five minute job with the light now in front of us.

Just to the west of the manse cave is the Puffag which is a cave whose upper edge is at the height of the mid tide. Once the mouth is closed over by water and the pressure builds up inside, it then sprays out a jet of water. I am told it was much more spectacular in the 30's and 40's. If you are around the back of the puffag, you gan hear the somewhat eerie sound of air escaping through the rocks as the pressure builds up from time to time.

Hope this helps.

It may have only taken 5 minutes to go in, and one minute to come out of the "Manse cave" - memory is a little hazy.
BenLea cave was maybe a bit longer than 5 minutes.

"Whatever" - I can assure you that you'll need yer wellies, and I would suggest a light of some kind.

GENGUS
18-Jan-11, 09:10
There are caves down in auckengill , if you go to top of harbour and look to your left there is one you can see at milton (about half a mile to your left ) this cave goes right through the cliff and at low tide you can walk right through. And at top of harbour to your right (about 1/4 a mile ) in a geo called the haven there is a big cave that is pretty deep ,you can only get in at low tide.

northener
18-Jan-11, 09:34
There's some good caves between Freswick and Duncansby head, unfortunately they can only be accessed by boat and don't dry out

onecalledk
18-Jan-11, 09:45
thank you all for your replies, will no go hunting for them

K

Dog-eared
18-Jan-11, 22:01
Stroma tides are here http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EasyTide/EasyTide/ShowPrediction.aspx?PortID=0297&PredictionLength=7
That's halfway round your area. Don't forget, the rising tide comes from the West, so that side of Caithness fills up earlier than the East.
Allow plenty time ! Have a nice Explore !

Nacho
18-Jan-11, 23:24
not quite where you're looking for caves, but there's some fascinating 'graffiti' in one of the caves at the end of Thurso beach.

not sure what the story behind it is, maybe someone can enlighten me, it's different names carved into the rock in an old fashioned sort of font, looks like it's been chiseled into the rock by a skilled hand

northener
19-Jan-11, 08:55
Seeing as Dog-Eared has mentioned Stroma, it's probably worth pointing out that the most impressive cave in Caithness (IMO:)) is on Stroma.

It's Red Head cave, just West of the Gloup. The only way to see it is on the 'NorthCoast Explorer' the RIB that runs out of Groats harbour in the Summer. Because she's a jet drive she can go really shallow and can turn in her own length. The cave opens out to the proportions of a small cathedral once in and if it's a good high tide she can go right in, turn around and come back out (as opposed to just nosing in and then reversing out on lower tides). It is completely inaccessable on foot.

Well recommended by me, plus you can do the caves down the East coast from Duncansby on the RIB if you speak to them early.