PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration

porshiepoo
16-Jan-11, 11:26
I'm in desperate need of some inspiration to get me back out there taking photos.

I live Lybster way so can anyone tell me of some decent places to go?

I have a Digital SLR as well as a couple of point and shoots (which I tend to use more cos I can never get the hang of the 'biggie') and I used to love taking photos.
Sadly the last couple of years have seen a lack of inspiration and my photos have been purely of home flowers and pets.

I look on here regularly and see some of the most amazing piccies and always wonder how that person knew to be there at that particular time. I have visions of you all wondering the glens (or even the towns) laden down with camera bags, multiple lenses, tri-pods etc etc in the hope of catching some spectacular image. Or is there a secret website that give hints as to where to be and when :lol:

Help, where do you all go? when? and how do you know when is the best time?

Mystical Potato Head
16-Jan-11, 12:24
For landscapes and seascapes i either go out a hour or so before sunrise and take shots for a couple of hours after that or wait till the evening and photograph during the
evening light,2 -3 hours before sunset and up to about a hour after sunset.I find the best light is often the last hour before sunset.It gives a lovely low light and casts long shadows which
create a lovely effect.The colours are also transformed with low evening light,an good example of this is the Hoy Hills,look at how they glow in the low setting sun .In winter because of the
low sun you can take photographs pretty much all day but in the summer i very rarely take photos in the afternoon.I'm not saying dont take photos then but its just my preference not to.

No need to carry a tripod with you unless you plan to take shots in the dark or very dim light.Neutral density filters are really a must for shooting into the sun for those spectacular sunburst effects.
I stick a couple in my pocket, ND2 & ND3.
I used to carry a bag of stuff around with me,different lenses etc but now its just the camera & 17-40mm lens round my neck.2 ND filters in my pocket and thats it.

Once you get out in the evenings you'll soon see where the areas around you with the best light are,just get out and snap away,try different things to see what works for you and what doesnt.
Best way to learn is to get out there,best places? well thats all a matter of personal preference but shots with a bit of water in them always seem to work well,be it a loch,river ,stream or the sea.
A lone tree on a moorland or in a field works well,whatever you do try and get some foreground interest in the shot,if possible,nothing worse than looking at miles of bland hills,moorland or whatever
with no particular focal point,dont get me wrong here,sometimes thats all there is to photograph but if possible find somwhere where you can get a bit of interest,a tree,a dyke at an angle fading in
to the distance can transform an ordinary shot into something of interest.

Stargazer
16-Jan-11, 21:03
"I live Lybster way so can anyone tell me of some decent places to go?"

If I lived in Lybster I'd be down to that wonderful harbour, the cliffs round the sea, the view to Morven and Scaraben, that fantastic wide High Street, the woodland walk halfway down the harbour road, the burn running down to the harbour, the old railway buildings by the golf course, the golf course now I've mentioned it.