PDA

View Full Version : Ring round the moon

phon
15-Jan-11, 22:15
Did anyone else notice the large pefectly symetrical ring round the moon tonight? (It might still be there so go outside and have a look). It is seemingly an atmospheric effect and if you google it you will see other photographic examples - none of which are as good as the show in Thurso 10 minutes ago!

baldeagle
15-Jan-11, 22:35
Yes idid see the ring round the moon tonight, i was showing it to my grandaughter, when i was a youngster the story went that it was a forerunner to bad weather. But that might just be a myth.

annemarie482
15-Jan-11, 22:41
Yes idid see the ring round the moon tonight, i was showing it to my grandaughter, when i was a youngster the story went that it was a forerunner to bad weather. But that might just be a myth.

good god!..........

TUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGS!!!!

do you cover the moon?! lol

squidge
15-Jan-11, 23:01
There is a saying which goes

When the moon has a halo, rain will soon follow!

northener
15-Jan-11, 23:32
I believe the halo is caused by ice particles in the upper atmosphere. Whatever causes it, it can be stunning at times.

Ricco
16-Jan-11, 14:45
It is to do with the temp. The colder it is the tighter the ring around the moon.

George Brims
17-Jan-11, 02:54
We arrived home from my granny's house one Sunday night in the 60s. There was a beautiful ring around the moon. My mum said it meant bad weather coming. My dad muttered something about "old wives' tales". I heard the wind howling during the night, and when my dad got up he had to eat his words - and dig his way out of the house. The back door was completely covered. Of course the big shovel was outside in the shed so he had to use the wee coal shovel to dig. After filling the bath with snow (the bathroom being right next to the back door) he had to open the bathroom window and throw the snow out of it. Later I was able to walk right up the snowdrifts onto the roof. I have since read that in norther latitudes like Caithness, all those ice crystals up high are often an indicator bad weather is afoot.

Ricco, I don't know where you heard that bit about the temperature. It's incorrect. The ring is always at 22 degrees out from the moon (or the sun). See this picture for a great example and explanation.
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap110110.html

nightspirit
17-Jan-11, 11:58
It is called a lunar halo - caused by alto cirrus high in the stratusphere.. is very cool :)
(ps i cannie spell)

Mystical Potato Head
19-Jan-11, 00:25

The ice crystals that cause the halo are associated with high altitude cirrus clouds that more often than not preceded a warm front. A warm front usually will be associated with a low pressure system which is what gives you storms or certainly bad weather.So i suppose there is a bit of truth in it.Its not a certainty that bad weather will follow though.