PDA

View Full Version : Old Pottery Jug needs cleaning.

sjwahwah
21-Aug-06, 19:36
Just got an old pottery wine jug out of a boot sale and have discovered it is quite nasty inside... like somebody was storing oil or something equally nasty in it for a long, long time. Have tried boiling water and soap... soda bic but, still pretty icky and has a very narrow neck that's difficult to get into. Somebody told me to soak it overnite filled with Coca-Cola.. does that work? or does somebody have a good method they use? any help would be appreciated. cheers!

Kingetter
21-Aug-06, 19:40
Lots of strong pure lemon or line juice and salt. How big is it?

htwood
21-Aug-06, 19:49
One of the active ingredients in Coca-Cola is phosphoric acid, with a pH of 2.8, quite acidic, which is why I canna drink Coke anymore. Pure phosphoric acid can dissolve concrete and eat thru metal, so give it a try with a can of coke.

Does the jug have a glazed finish or is it rough clay.

Kingetter
21-Aug-06, 19:53
One of the active ingredients in Coca-Cola is phosphoric acid, with a pH of 2.8, quite acidic, which is why I canna drink Coke anymore. Pure phosphoric acid can dissolve concrete and eat thru metal, so give it a try with a can of coke.

Does the jug have a glazed finish or is it rough clay.

That's the stuff you used to be able to shine up old pennies with isn't it? I thought that was stopped. Hmm! handy to know.

connieb19
21-Aug-06, 19:55
I gave my jugs a good scrub with Cilit Bang...Spotless!! :eek: You could eat your dinner off them now.:D

sjwahwah
21-Aug-06, 19:56
it's a glazed jug and holds probably a litre and half.

thanks for the tips so far!:D

sjwahwah
21-Aug-06, 20:00
Lots of strong pure lemon or line juice and salt. How big is it?

I've got lemons and salt... I will try that first... will need to go out and get some coke if it doesn't cut it.

Kingetter
21-Aug-06, 20:02
I've got lemons and salt... I will try that first... will need to go out and get some coke if it doesn't cut it.

make sure its the right coke! lol

sjwahwah
21-Aug-06, 20:07
now there's a thought... slightly stronger than soda bic.. might work! LOL

Kingetter
21-Aug-06, 20:17
now there's a thought... slightly stronger than soda bic.. might work! LOL
Or on you then you wouldn't care anymore, right?

sjwahwah
21-Aug-06, 20:19
would be one expensive cleaner... but, is it not true that Coca Cola originally contained coca... hence the name?;)

Kingetter
21-Aug-06, 20:22
sorry - no idea - not a chemist - too old, maybe an alchemist? lol

Rheghead
21-Aug-06, 20:25
If the residue is oil or grease then try paint thinners or turpentine. Then normal washing up liquid. Of course a bit of elbow grease works wonders as well!

_Ju_
21-Aug-06, 20:42
If the neck is very narrow for elbow grease, try putting raw rice in with the cleaning liquid of choice and shake it. Better than any bottle brush in the world!

Kingetter
21-Aug-06, 20:49
also, for the neck one of those teapot spout brushes might do some good.

sjwahwah
21-Aug-06, 21:12
is it ok to put paint thinners and turps into something you're going to drink out of later? I don't have any here the now.. but, in the meantime.. its got a very long thin narrow top like a wine bottle... tried a baby bottle brush.. not very good... been trying to get a toothbrush in there but, can't get it around the bends in the bottom.. somewhat successful with lemon juice and salt and toothbrush.. then more soda bic, water and white vinegar and let it bubble a wee while then hot soapy water.. it's starting to loosen up a bit but, the rice idea sounds an absolute cracker! I'll try that too, cheers Ju!

Kingetter
21-Aug-06, 21:14
Might still let you have the first drink from it!

canuck
21-Aug-06, 22:00
What about the stuff that jabberwolk used to clean his shirt? It was something he had for washing his bike.

George Brims
21-Aug-06, 22:04
If the neck is very narrow for elbow grease, try putting raw rice in with the cleaning liquid of choice and shake it. Better than any bottle brush in the world!
Don't add too much liquid along with the rice - the rice will absorb it and swell. That's been known to destroy a leaky cargo ship!

canuck
21-Aug-06, 22:05
Sorry, forgot the link.

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=13223

sjwahwah
21-Aug-06, 22:24
good tips... will definately give the coke and cleaner and rice a crack at tomorrow... thanks for all the tips folks!

highlander
21-Aug-06, 22:36
I have found that white vinager is good for cleans stains

Kingetter
21-Aug-06, 22:42
good tips... will definately give the coke and cleaner and rice a crack at tomorrow... thanks for all the tips folks!

Update us with your progress huh? So we can pass on advice again if it works.

sjwahwah
21-Aug-06, 23:07
highlander... that's what I slowly added to hot water and soda bic... let er bubble for a while... think that was quite good really.

kingetter... hopefully I'll have a shiny new de-yucked wine jug this time tomorrow!

Kingetter
22-Aug-06, 00:38
highlander... that's what I slowly added to hot water and soda bic... let er bubble for a while... think that was quite good really.

kingetter... hopefully I'll have a shiny new de-yucked wine jug this time tomorrow!

So a (cheese and?) wine party could be on the cards maybe?

sjwahwah
22-Aug-06, 00:41
somehow I wouldn't doubt that!:D

Kingetter
22-Aug-06, 00:45
somehow I wouldn't doubt that!:D

So is that a yes? lol

sjwahwah
22-Aug-06, 00:48
I shoulda said... of course! I dig a bit of wine and bustin' out the cheeseboard!

Kingetter
22-Aug-06, 00:50
My kind of fodder - great stuff!

canuck
22-Aug-06, 00:53
Absolutely wonderful for birthday celebrations.

Dusty
22-Aug-06, 12:34
Steradent false teeth cleaner (or equivalent) usually does OK at removing stains from the inside of teapots.
Might be worth a try.

Dusty.

paris
22-Aug-06, 12:41
Try sterident soaking overnight.......works for falsies...not that i have them LOL jan x

sjwahwah
22-Aug-06, 12:50
well... I am going to be at my mother-in-laws tomorrow.. :) I could try that if the coke and vinegar and rice doesn't work! thanks!

Lolabelle
22-Aug-06, 12:57
would be one expensive cleaner... but, is it not true that Coca Cola originally contained coca... hence the name?;)
I believe that it did originally contain some heavy duty stuff, but it was originally supposed to be a medication. I read it somewhere recently, can't remember where though... or maybe I dreamt it. Been having some mighty weird dreams lately. :confused

pultneytooner
22-Aug-06, 13:06
I gave my jugs a good scrub with Cilit Bang...Spotless!! You could eat your dinner off them now.
Your jugs?:eek:[lol]

Janet
22-Aug-06, 16:39
When you've done with that cocktail, :-) try soaking in hot sudsy water - old fashioned washing powder - Fairy Snow perhaps.

sjwahwah
22-Aug-06, 17:40
that's what I'm doing right now Janet! Hubby hasn't returned with any Coke yet and more white vinegar...so... Think it is working... have soaked it with washing up liquid and boiling water 3x today and each time I can see more stuff coming out... with the torch pointed in there... looking pretty good! Might be in time to toast the birthday celebrators this evening yet!

But, of course now I've gone on a mission and have started giving all my pottery bottles & jugs the same treatment!:-) No easy feat! I've discovered something pretty weird inside one of the jugs as well... potter was having an off day perhaps.:)

nicnak
22-Aug-06, 18:54
Hi there the problem if its oil is that soap and water wont do it, you could try fairy power spray without adding extra water or secondly neat washing up liquid with dried rice leave it to soak and then give it a real good shake then add water to rinse. If you put water in first any cleaning fluid will not have an effect on the oil as the water puts a barrier between them straight away. When you have thoroughly cleaned it fill with sterilising fluid and water like you use for babies bottles this should then make it safe again. hope this helps
nicnak
Also be careful if you add boiling water as if the glaze has any cracks or fractures in it the glaze will "blow" thus no longer making it water resistant.

rockchick
22-Aug-06, 20:18
Just a little pointer, and probably completely obvious to all and sundry, but I would make sure I tried these remedies one at a time, as mixing some of these different chemicals (bicarbonate of soda with coke??? :eek: )could produce some unwanted effects.

Janet
22-Aug-06, 23:41
Can see you honed in on my earlier thought. What a toxic lot we are. To throw something into the mix I have three pewter goblets, one of them with a glass bottom, dated circa 1872.... something happened and it whooshed awa' frae me.......
I wondered if anyone knew of a way of cleaning pewter?

sjwahwah
23-Aug-06, 00:13
Just a little pointer, and probably completely obvious to all and sundry, but I would make sure I tried these remedies one at a time, as mixing some of these different chemicals (bicarbonate of soda with coke??? )could produce some unwanted effects.

soda bic and coke at the same time would be scary indeed! [lol]

think it is pretty well sorted now... thanks for everyones advice! will leave it sit with soda bic and water overnight to neutralise the odour and it should be good to go!

Thanks again to everyone!!!:)

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 03:43
and when it is 'ready for use', what exactly are you going to fill it with?

sjwahwah
23-Aug-06, 03:49
probably wine.. or homemade cider? or maybe I'll start a jug band!

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 03:51
I wanted to hear wine, but more specifically which wine?

sjwahwah
23-Aug-06, 03:54
hate to disappoint.. but, I know next to nothing about wine... I drink whatever comes round. I'm more of a beer and cider chica. Fraoch is my favourite but that belongs in the goblet!

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 03:57
Well you are going to have to take a photo of the celebrated container for all of us to see. Can that be done?

sjwahwah
23-Aug-06, 04:00
I'll post one tomorrow!

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 04:03
That will be good. Look forward to it. Then what will be your next project? Folk might need some warning.

sjwahwah
23-Aug-06, 04:06
actually should post one now cause I forgot I've got to go to Dundee tomorrow and I've gotta change the fuel filter first and get all three bairns (hubby, dog and 2-yearold!) together...

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 04:17
Pass! I'm not touching those jobs, No qualifications whatsoever. Nothing personal you understand.

sjwahwah
23-Aug-06, 04:18
there she is! next to a candle for scale :). still a bit wiffy tho.. will soak while I'm away for a few days.

http://www.greenscotland.org/jug.JPG

sjwahwah
23-Aug-06, 04:20
well.. I don't like cars much either.. too much work.. and that's before you even gotta drive anywhere in Edinburgh. Hubby misjudged the pillar yesturday and bent one of the flip down steps so have to give that a good whack into place too! that might be fun!

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 04:21
Hey! It's got a list to port - mind not spill anything from it.No seriously - nice piece - looks good. Thanks.

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 04:25
well.. I don't like cars much either.. too much work.. and that's before you even gotta drive anywhere in Edinburgh. Hubby misjudged the pillar yesturday and bent one of the flip down steps so have to give that a good whack into place too! that might be fun!

I'll take the driving but not the bairns - sorry.

sjwahwah
23-Aug-06, 04:27
it's Tremar.. been collecting it for sometime... quite a surprise to find some at a boot sale as it can be hard to find at times.

sjwahwah
23-Aug-06, 04:29
I'll take the driving but not the bairns - sorry.

I don't blame ya one bit kingetter![lol]

Kingetter
23-Aug-06, 04:32
I don't blame ya one bit kingetter![lol]

Just don't tell the bairns huh?