PDA

View Full Version : Have you joined the fish fight?

ShelleyCowie
15-Jan-11, 12:17
Just takes a minute of your time!

http://www.fishfight.net/

This week iv been watching Hugh's fish fight and have to say its really quite sad to see how much fish is thrown back over board dead because they have reached "quota" for that fish!

If you go to that website it has all the information on it. Also about salmon farms and how for every 1kg of farm salmon they consume 3kg of smaller fish in pellet form!

Personally i would rather see the smaller more tasty fish in the supermarkets!

So come on folks, take a minute of your time to sign up for the fish fight! :Razz

Ricco
15-Jan-11, 13:58
I joined right away! These stupid old draconian laws about quotas are long due for an overhaul. Any good skipper is well aware of the need for conservation of stocks. To be able to retain by-kill as good marketable material is the more sensible option in my view.

highbury
15-Jan-11, 18:03
you can also use the tools provided to e mail your local MP and encouage him to sign upto the motion, Mr Thurso, like Mr Elphicke down here in Kent, doesn't seem to be supporting the issue yet

debimac
15-Jan-11, 21:50
My husband and myself have signed up!
All the wasted fish thrown back dead into the sea is unacceptable. The amount of cod i saw on the programme being tossed back in the sea dead was sad to see!
The programme showed the alternative fish to put in supermarkets, chip shops etc. Mackerel baps went down a storm!

Geo
16-Jan-11, 13:00
So sad seeing all the fish dumped back dead. How that is meant to preserve stocks is beyond me. The Fish Fight is on Facebook too.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/hughsfishfight

argyle kid
16-Jan-11, 14:49
I feel the same about the waste of good food.But I would not trust the skippers with self regulation.Look at those who were caught stealing mackerel tons over their quota.

orkneycadian
20-Jan-11, 14:03
Biggest effect tha folk can have is to expand their fish diet. Signing up to a petition is one thing, but going out and buying local, diverse fish may be likely to have a far greater impact!

Whilst we eat a bit of haddock from time to time, its probably a drop in the ocean (pun intended! [lol]) compared to....

Mackerel (eat heaps of this, smoked. Delicious!)
Herring
Megrim
Bass

Hugh Fearnly Whatshisface is a canny lad, and good on him to try and change the thinking of folk. He's been doing sterling work to show folk on his River Cottage programme that meat like rabbit is plentiful and there for the taking (from a natural free range habitat), whilst chicken is factory produced in poor welfare conditions.

George Brims
20-Jan-11, 18:35
Herring
Megrim
Bass

I hope the Bass you're eating is true sea bass, and not the fish marketed as "Chilean Sea Bass". That fish is as much a bass as a Kiwi fruit is a native New Zealand fruit. Except for a small fishery around South Georgia (processed I assume in the Falklands) it's all being over-fished and caught using desperately destructive methods. Upwards of 400,000 albatrosses, mostly from endangered species, are killed by longliners fishing for this specie. Its proper name is the Patagonian Toothfish. Please don't buy it. Of course you won't have the option soon. Another five years and they will all be gone.

canadagirl
20-Jan-11, 19:06
Is there no monitoring of commercial boats there? My son is a commercial fisher here in B.C. Canada and they have video cameras on the boat, larger boats have an on-board observer and there are observers at all the docks. The gov't fisheries contracts out to a private company who trains people, they are not enforcers only observers. Maybe as our fish stocks are very low we are more vigilant?

shazzap
20-Jan-11, 19:21
Joined last week.

The Drunken Duck
20-Jan-11, 20:46
Joined and asked my Tesco Fishmonger the other day for some of the "coley" fish that Jamie Oliver had in his programme .. http://www.channel4.com/programmes/jamies-fish-supper/4od#3156283 .. they didn't have it but my local fishmonger did. Its really cheap and I cant tell the difference between it and cod.

His recipie for it is brilliant !!

orkneycadian
21-Jan-11, 13:57
I hope the Bass you're eating is true sea bass, and not the fish marketed as "Chilean Sea Bass". That fish is as much a bass as a Kiwi fruit is a native New Zealand fruit.

Can only go by what was on the menu. It was in an eat-ooterie in a fishing town down south, and was msimply billed as "pan fried sea bass". Given the location, and the reputation of the eatery, I would hazard a guess it was local!

northener
21-Jan-11, 15:41
"Fish Fight"?

I once had a nasty incident with a halibut.

orkneycadian
21-Jan-11, 17:02
Mmmmm. Smoked mackeral for tea tonight! 4th night of fish out of 5, and only 1 of them was haddock! Even then it was only because the chippy south did nothing other in the way of fish!

orkneycadian
21-Jan-11, 18:25
So come on folks, take a minute of your time to sign up for the fish fight! :Razz

Signing up done! :cool: Right, lets go and get this mackeral in the oven.... :p

ShelleyCowie
21-Jan-11, 18:57
Signing up done! :cool: Right, lets go and get this mackeral in the oven.... :p

Jealousy just slapped me in the face! I had peppered mackrel last week and it was gorgeous! Nobody else here likes fish, i love it!

Plain old baked tatties for me tonight!

Enjoy :) Let me know if it was good! (bet its rubbish) lol

The Drunken Duck
21-Jan-11, 22:52
"Fish Fight"?

I once had a nasty incident with a halibut.

Seeing as you are an ex sailor, and having seen their antics for myself, any chance of a bit more detail on this .. *cough* .. incident ??

ciderally
21-Jan-11, 22:57
done.....thank you

northener
22-Jan-11, 17:00
Seeing as you are an ex sailor, and having seen their antics for myself, any chance of a bit more detail on this .. *cough* .. incident ??

No chance......;)

Geo
22-Jan-11, 17:47
Is there no monitoring of commercial boats there? My son is a commercial fisher here in B.C. Canada and they have video cameras on the boat, larger boats have an on-board observer and there are observers at all the docks. The gov't fisheries contracts out to a private company who trains people, they are not enforcers only observers. Maybe as our fish stocks are very low we are more vigilant?

There is monitoring. However the dumping of fish is a legal requirement if you catch a species you already have your quota of. If you land it you will be fined £xxxxxxxxx. It's a crazy system.

Ricco
23-Jan-11, 15:09
Biggest effect tha folk can have is to expand their fish diet. Signing up to a petition is one thing, but going out and buying local, diverse fish may be likely to have a far greater impact!

Whilst we eat a bit of haddock from time to time, its probably a drop in the ocean (pun intended! [lol]) compared to....

Herring
Megrim
Bass

Hugh Fearnly Whatshisface is a canny lad, and good on him to try and change the thinking of folk. He's been doing sterling work to show folk on his River Cottage programme that meat like rabbit is plentiful and there for the taking (from a natural free range habitat), whilst chicken is factory produced in poor welfare conditions.
I must confess that I think this is a splendid idea.... until the supermarkets get hold of it. Did a (very) rare shop in Waitrose yesterday and noticed two breaded cold at under £2.00; two breaded dabs (now, these are one of Hugh's recommended alternatives) at £4.99. Meat content about one quarter.

Kind of kills the incentive, don't you think?

orkneycadian
23-Jan-11, 18:29
Easy answer. Use a local fishmonger!

peter macdonald
05-Feb-11, 14:04
I E Mailed John Thurso MP to find out if he had signed the Early Day Motion 1123 He had and in his written reply he was very supportive of this campaign ..Good on you John!!!

ShelleyCowie
06-Feb-11, 00:31
I E Mailed John Thurso MP to find out if he had signed the Early Day Motion 1123 He had and in his written reply he was very supportive of this campaign ..Good on you John!!!

When i tried emailing him his mail box wouldnt accept my mail! Apparently im spam! Anyway, glad he is onboard. :)

Errogie
06-Feb-11, 10:36
What is the sense in feeding 3 Kg. of some lesser fish to a salmon to produce 1Kg. of something possibly more tasty and obviously more marketable? It's a bit like the vegetarian criticism over feeding similar amounts of grain products to pigs, beef cattle and chickens. I would like to see more activity on turning the base feedstuff into palatable protein meals to cut out the wasteful intermediate conversion stage. I'm not vegetarian but find quorn a great substitute for meat and no bones or gristle!

orkneycadian
06-Feb-11, 10:57
What is the sense in feeding 3 Kg. of some lesser fish to a salmon to produce 1Kg. of something possibly more tasty and obviously more marketable?

Aside from the fact thats what happens in the real world, if you count shrimp as a lesser fish!

wicker8
07-Feb-11, 15:51
Just signed the petition

Errogie
07-Feb-11, 23:30
Of course salmon eat shrimp and other fish in the real world but they are athletes swimming all the way to Greenland rather than going round and round in a cage putting on flabby flesh. Its the effort and cost of turning other fish into dried pellets plus some pink dye then throwing them back into the sea which really doesn't add up to a lot of sense.

Lumberjack
12-Feb-11, 18:46
I signed up to this campaign a couple of weeks ago, fully supporting the issues raised.
During the process, I asked to be kept informed of the progress of the campaign.
Since then, I have been bombarded with emails offering reductions for courses, books etc'.
Now, without appearing cynical, it looks to me like "hey lets' do something about this, but at the same time let's see if we can make a quick buck out of it".

Although I still support the cause,I will be hitting the unsubscribe button.

Ricco
13-Feb-11, 10:10
Easy answer. Use a local fishmonger!

Would do if we had one. Round Reading they are as common as hens teeth. BTW - sorry about the misspelling in my last post - it should have been 'cod' not 'cold'. lol

orkneycadian
13-Feb-11, 11:43
Is there a Tesco in Reading, perchance?

ShelleyCowie
13-Feb-11, 11:58

Google it ;)

orkneycadian
13-Feb-11, 12:01
Already had - 12 of them in the immediate vicinity. Now, why cant Ricco find a local fishmonger there I wonder....

Ricco
13-Feb-11, 14:53

Eh, eh - nice try! Yes, there is. The quality of fish there is dreadful (of course). There is a biggish fish shop in 'Smelly Alley' in the centre of Reading and there is the local Chinese supplier that has a range of frozen fish and shellfish. Both do a great trade whereas the fish counter at Tesco only does a steady stream.

Ricco
13-Feb-11, 14:54
Already had - 12 of them in the immediate vicinity. Now, why cant Ricco find a local fishmonger there I wonder....

Cos I live south of Reading. I do go to the one in Reading when I can. But remember - I do catch most of my own. Lucky me!