PDA

View Full Version : tampering with balls...

percy toboggan
21-Aug-06, 17:11
...do you understand cricket?
Quite a serious charge is 'ball tampering'and I feel the fact that the Pakistani team themselves are seeing these allegations as a 'slur' upon their nation will involve much wider issues, once more.

The religious fanatics in Pakistan are out-numbered only by the cricket fanatics.

Will this be seen as another case of the west 'picking on' an Islamic nation.
Possibly.

Do you think there will be a much wider reaction, beyond the boundaries of cricket.?

Saveman
21-Aug-06, 17:17
...do you understand cricket?
Quite a serious charge is 'ball tampering'and I feel the fact that the Pakistani team themselves are seeing these allegations as a 'slur' upon their nation will involve much wider issues, once more.

The religious fanatics in Pakistan are out-numbered only by the cricket fanatics.

Will this be seen as another case of the west 'picking on' an Islamic nation.
Possibly.

Do you think there will be a much wider reaction, beyond the boundaries of cricket.?

I hope not, and its a shame that it all ended this way.
Where was the umpires evidence?

percy toboggan
21-Aug-06, 17:26
I agree it IS a pity.

The ball had been slogged around the ground - and out of it onto concrete for fifty odd overs - thats 300 bowls by the way - & pummelled by willow.

I do think though that controversial decisions are part and parcel of modern day professional sport. They should have taken the five run deduction and got on with the game.

With all the bad decisions which occur in modern day football, for instance. Have you ever heard of a team leaving the field? Me neither.

Kingetter
21-Aug-06, 18:45
It tells me (what I already knew) that modern day professional sport isn't really sport. Where cricket is concerned, folk playing on the village green would still be sport - teams want to win but not at all costs! Therein lies the difference.

bigjjuk
21-Aug-06, 18:58
apparently the cricket balls nowaday are stitched in a way that a sudden heavy impact will not break the thread or stitching. The only way i can see tampering being accused is if that stitching has been moved in some way by another means ....ie: picking at it etc. its only what i have been told by a cricket buff i know

percy toboggan
21-Aug-06, 20:08
apparently the cricket balls nowaday are stitched in a way that a sudden heavy impact will not break the thread or stitching. The only way i can see tampering being accused is if that stitching has been moved in some way by another means ....ie: picking at it etc. its only what i have been told by a cricket buff i know

Away from the stitching the ball can be scoured, or even gouged to produce unusual aerodynamic behaviour. Battered cricket balls are scarcely truly round, although it is sometime since I last handled one.

George Brims
21-Aug-06, 21:24
What's all this about crickets? You don't find crickets in Caithness, it's too far North. Plenty other creepy crawlies I'm cure.

golach
21-Aug-06, 21:53
What's all this about crickets? You don't find crickets in Caithness, it's too far North. Plenty other creepy crawlies I'm cure.
Forky tails aye, crickets niver [lol]

scorrie
21-Aug-06, 22:11

I heard a whisper that the batch of cricket balls involved came from ASDA. I rest my case ;o)