PDA

View Full Version : Gritters

DIH
14-Jan-11, 20:14
I've just been reading the now closed thread about gritters and would like to add a bit to it.

My other half is a gritter driver and I have hardly seen him since the end of November since all this snow and ice has started. He has been out from 6am - 5pm most days and he, like the rest of his colleagues is absolutely shattered. The concentration required to drive in these conditions is immense for such long periods. A lapse of concentration could result in a gritter of the road and there aren't that many to start with.

They grit the routes that is laid out for them and spread the amount of grit that is stated by their employers. They can only be in one place at a time and they have to observe the road conditions as well. They are also driving on the snow/ice as the grit comes out of the back of the lorry.

They DO try to get round as many roads as they can.

This is his job and it has been a hard one this year due to the extreme weather Caithness has faced. I know he sits on his bum all day in a warm lorry but I for one wouldn't swap places with him. He sets of for his work at 5.30am driving 6 miles into Wick on untreated roads as well, so he can get out in his gritter to treat the roads for you.

These men deserve a lot more praise than their getting so well done boys :)

annemarie482
14-Jan-11, 20:24
well said!

mike67
14-Jan-11, 20:48
well said indeed

bekisman
14-Jan-11, 22:10
Said this before - nothing but praise for them. We might live out in the sticks in Sutherland and not Caithness, but this is about Gritters, but they were out every day - it takes a hell of a lot of concentration..

I'd love to know what 'main road' doreen drove on to get their, which was ungritted - no idea where she is as nothing to say..as the de shoe shop is not mentioned in de town.. ;)

billmoseley
15-Jan-11, 11:05
i agree with you completely as a driver for a living i see the work they are doing and hard work they put in even out here in bettyhill you see the gritter every morning ploughing a path to thurso you can almost set your clock by him. WELL DONE

steeko
15-Jan-11, 17:30
I think the gritter drivers do a great job. Like any other employee, they follow the instructions of their employer. I was disgusted to learn of the abuse they get from other road users.

taffy
15-Jan-11, 20:12
Here here these men do a great job and like every other job have to obey the management and that means gritting the roads they are told to. My hubby has to travel 26 miles to the depot in thurso and was leaving here at 4.45am to get there on untreated roads in dreadful weather conditions how he got to work sometimes I don't know. He like the others is shattered but that is the nature of the job but they do deserve a pat on the back for the job they have done. It's easy for us to sit cosy in our homes but they are the ones who are out there working their sock's of so we can be safe on the roads. I say well done to you all.:roll:

dx100uk
15-Jan-11, 23:33
they should be paid double not the pittance they get i bet!

dx

Geo
16-Jan-11, 12:31
Gritter drivers are definitely worth their salt.

Vistravi
16-Jan-11, 13:06
I've just been reading the now closed thread about gritters and would like to add a bit to it.

My other half is a gritter driver and I have hardly seen him since the end of November since all this snow and ice has started. He has been out from 6am - 5pm most days and he, like the rest of his colleagues is absolutely shattered. The concentration required to drive in these conditions is immense for such long periods. A lapse of concentration could result in a gritter of the road and there aren't that many to start with.

They grit the routes that is laid out for them and spread the amount of grit that is stated by their employers. They can only be in one place at a time and they have to observe the road conditions as well. They are also driving on the snow/ice as the grit comes out of the back of the lorry.

They DO try to get round as many roads as they can.

This is his job and it has been a hard one this year due to the extreme weather Caithness has faced. I know he sits on his bum all day in a warm lorry but I for one wouldn't swap places with him. He sets of for his work at 5.30am driving 6 miles into Wick on untreated roads as well, so he can get out in his gritter to treat the roads for you.

These men deserve a lot more praise than their getting so well done boys :)

Well said!!

The gritters do a fantastic job!! Especilly since they have to get to work in the bad roads first.

People shouldn't complain about them as they do the very best they can do.

To your oh and all the other gritter lorry drivers well done and keep up the good work.