PDA

View Full Version : Ee hev till luv ae French

David Banks
14-Jan-11, 17:43
As I remember it, it was in 1986 I was in Paris on a business trip and had half of Saturday and all of Sunday to explore Paris on foot. I was in a canny mood, deciding that I would spend as little as possible -- only meals with receipts which I could expense. I was so cheap that I did not pay to go up the Eiffel Tower.
I was walking on the big open area in front of Notre Dame when a young Frenchman, student I guess, proposed doing a sketch of me. I declined, and visited the cathedral which had a mass going on. On the way out, I was again offered the artistic service and took him up on it. A few minutes later, I laughed my head off when I saw the cartoonish sketch he had drawn -- the "light relief" from all the walking I was doing was worth the few Francs I paid.

Hence, the avatar I have just managed to upload.

Tilly Teckel
14-Jan-11, 18:44
I love it! Is it a true likeness?? Pity you never got the young monsieur's name - he could be a famous artst by now...

David Banks
14-Jan-11, 23:35
The face is a bit more convex than mine, making the moustache and nose a little bigger (I think).
He added the sly grin - artistic license !
If you knew me at the time, there would be no mistake as to who it was meant to be.

He "signed" it Paris 86.

Bazeye
15-Jan-11, 13:40
The face is a bit more convex than mine, making the moustache and nose a little bigger (I think)..

You hope. :lol: