PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

bagpuss
14-Jan-11, 00:48
I spend too much time looking at computers. I miss doing stuff like watching films from beginning to end without interruptions (apart from popcorn or tea) and seeing entire TV programmes from start to finish.

So on my to do list is to watch everything on my LoveFilm list and to read the pile of books growing on the hall table.

Next on the list is the Millenium trilogy.

So my questions to you are:
what book are you reading?
what film are you desperate to watch?

ShelleyCowie
14-Jan-11, 00:55
Currently reading The Short Life of Bree Tanner, quite enjoying it! Stephanie Meyer is my favourite Author.

Was desperate to see The Book of Eli, watched it the other night and i have to give it 10/10! Best movie i'v seen for a while.

Now want to see 127 Hours. Have heard mixed reviews, will watch it myself and decide.

The hubby and me always watch a movie a week (without kids) so have no interuptions and can enjoy it! :)

annemarie482
14-Jan-11, 00:59
i'm returning to re-read some of my favourite books.

james herbet "the fog"
"the rats"
"lair"
"fluke"

then onto

ian rankin and all the "rebus" books.

they are my favourite authors and will keep me busy quite a while!

singysmum
14-Jan-11, 01:40
Just in the first part of the third Millenium book - brilliant book. Not so sure about the Twilight books by Stephanie Meyer but 'The Host' by her was one of the best books I have read recently. If you like Rebus, Annemarie, have you tried any books by an Icelandic author called Arnaldur Indridason? Read one called Jar City and thought it very reminiscent of Rebus. I have managed to find a copy of Cross Stitch by Diana Gabaldon. I haven't read any of her books yet - has anybody read any and, if so, what are they like?

annemarie482
14-Jan-11, 01:53
can't say i've heard of Arnaldur Indridason, but as you have suggested it i will search for it give it a go.
i very much like crime/thrillers.
thanks singysmum :)

brandy
14-Jan-11, 02:13
im reading secrets of the demon by diana rowland.
movies.. hmmm well do try to sit down with sam and watch a movie every now and again!
but i like to watch ghost hunters.. and thats about me for tv!

now if i really wanted to get back to real life.. i would start that spring clean ive been meaning to do for the past year!

squidge
14-Jan-11, 02:50
Im reading application forms for a post i am on the interview panel for tomorrow.

Im also reading web pages on "Lean Techniques"

I have recently read the millenium trilogy and loved it. Not read much else though - I miss it......

.D.
14-Jan-11, 03:32
I'm just about to start reading Charles Dickens' "Bleak House". Never read a Dickens' novel before, but I honestly can't wait to open the book!

As for films, there's supposedly a Godfather 4 in the making. If so, I'll be as giddy as a schoolboy!

fender
14-Jan-11, 08:44
Anything by Harry Turtledove does it for me.

brandy
14-Jan-11, 09:13
i just cant wait for the next anita blake novel! im such a nerd!

The Music Monster
14-Jan-11, 11:01
I love anything swashbuckling! Especially classics like Dumas' The Three Musketeers. I could also pick up any of The Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan or Lord of the Rings.

When it comes to films, I'm pretty much the same. My favourite film of last year was The A-Team, and this year I can't wait for (yet another!) film adapation of The Three Musketeers!

Sage
14-Jan-11, 11:25
Im reading three books at the moment

"The Secret History of the Tarot" which links the Tarot of Marseille with the Cathars of France in the C13th
"Tarot and Psychology" which is written by a therapist who uses Tarot in his practice
and Ive literally just finished reading "the Bolter" about the life of Idina Sackville, a really interesting book :)

Will have to look for a new book to replace the last one...probably a book on childrens' stories of re-incarnation.

as for films...I'd LOVE to see the Kings Speech

SunnyChick
14-Jan-11, 12:39
Great post! I LOVE reading!

Have just finished reading Karen Maitland, "Company of Liars" - historical fiction, gritty, grotty and gripping! Would definately make it into my top TEN reads!

Have just picked up a Diane Chamberlain, "The Lost Daughter"... so far so good!

Would like to see 127 hours in cinema, however, being so far away, the only films I get to see in cinema are the ones we take the kids to! :roll:

Have a date tonight with LOST season 6 DVD's and a bottle of red! :lol:

_Ju_
14-Jan-11, 12:47
Just in the first part of the third Millenium book - brilliant book. Not so sure about the Twilight books by Stephanie Meyer but 'The Host' by her was one of the best books I have read recently. If you like Rebus, Annemarie, have you tried any books by an Icelandic author called Arnaldur Indridason? Read one called Jar City and thought it very reminiscent of Rebus. I have managed to find a copy of Cross Stitch by Diana Gabaldon. I haven't read any of her books yet - has anybody read any and, if so, what are they like?
I have to agree with you there: the twilight books left me indifferent. I found them predictable in their story line and far too made to measure and titilate the insecure young female reader. To be honest though, I did not read them, but listened to them in audio-book format. But before twilight I had read "The host" and enjoyed it.
I read Diana Gabaldon about 5/6 years ago and I did enjoy it at the time, but have never felt like re-reading her books. The are very descriptive and yes, you can just imagine yourself imersed in the world she has created. I think that they would be great to listen to in audio format though.For Historical Fiction I far prefer Jules Watson ( The white Mare, The Boar Stone, The dawn Stag), Steven Saylor (Rome sub rosa series), Manda Scott (Boudica series), Auel (clan of the cave bear series) and Colleen Macullough ( first man in Rome series). Maccullough also has some really good non roman history novels. She was my favorite author when I was 20/25 and I have read every book she has written more than once. "Morgans run", "Tim", the roman series and "ladies of Missalonghi" are my favorites of hers. Auel is another author of whom I have read her complete works. This year there is supposed to be a new book of the clan of the cave bear out. I am looking forward to it.
I am going to read the millenium series, but I get quite angsty when I read very chilling thrillers. Just at the end of last year I read Lisa Gardners "Say Goodbye", and while it was compelling and I could not just stop reading it, some of it was very uncomfortable. It kind of put me off starting another thriller/chiller/crime horror book for now.
PS: I love reading!

_Ju_
14-Jan-11, 12:56
I had never heard of Turtledove before, fender. his work sounds very interesting. Thank you.

Kodiak
14-Jan-11, 13:17
Right at this moment I am reading the Vaithness.org Forum. :D

singysmum
14-Jan-11, 13:37
Oh dear. Have now followed the thread and thank you JU for all the titles you have included - some I haven't read so will look forward to them. Due to this thread I had a look at my Amazon 'wish list' and was amazed at the amount of books on there!! I still have a few auto/biographies to read. Tony Blair, Alaister Campbell diaries, Barak Obama, Judy Dench, Lots of Alan Bennet stuff, Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie, some Dirk Bogarde stuff, Donovan etc, etc. etc. :eek:
Can somebody please make the days longer so I will have time to read them all!!! :roll:

Geo
14-Jan-11, 13:57
I'm very much out of the habit of reading books however I'm thinking of starting Helliconia Spring by Brian Aldiss

Liz
14-Jan-11, 14:21
I always have a book on the go and at the moment I'm reading Susan Boyle's autobiography. For some strange reason though I don't like reading during the day so always read in my bed at night.

I also love films and watch a DVD every Sunday afternoon. I'm with Sage in that I really want to watch the Kings Speech.
I have an eclectic taste though and the last one I watched was Toy Story 3 which I thoroughly enjoyed!:D

cherokee
14-Jan-11, 14:58
My OH is almost finished reading Stephen Fry's second autobiography "The Fry Chronicles" (I bought it for him LOL!) and thinks it is absolutely fantastic and very interesting ! :)

Anji
14-Jan-11, 17:10
I'm just about to start reading Charles Dickens' "Bleak House". Never read a Dickens' novel before, but I honestly can't wait to open the book!

I've just started reading "Pickwick Papers" which I last read at school many years ago. Normally, I find Dickens depressing, but this one has me laughing with every page. I don't remember finding it this funny when I 'had to' read it.

Sage
14-Jan-11, 17:11
aahh the Fry Chronicles is wonderful. Was one of the last ones I read.

Must find his first biography to read

reddevil
14-Jan-11, 18:14
i read the millenium trio first and second great third lost the plot,i watched the first movie,what a lot of rubbish,missed out half the book,really important parts i think,second movie was just as bad,so from now on im sticking to the books,im reading a really good book its s j boltons awakening about snakes murders and all sorts,10/10.movies my fav was face off loved it,could watch it time after time lol.

Tilly Teckel
14-Jan-11, 18:48
Ditto 'The Fry Chronicles'; just ordered the prequel too.

Just moved house and found some old favourites when I packed so may start on 'The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy' soon... it's been too long :)

Filmwise.. am going down to visit the folks in Wales very soon so will get to go the cinema; now I just need to find something worth watching!

George Brims
14-Jan-11, 21:33

I finished the last of the Millenium books last night (about 2am!) so I'm like a half-shut knife today.
I've read "Voices" by Indridason, and I have Jar city in my Real Soon pile. Did you know there's a movie of that one? It's in my Netflix queue (not available just yet). Agree on the Rebus similarity. I love the Rebus books.
Also devour PD James, Michael Connolly, John Connolly, James Lee Burke, Sue Grafton, Robert Crais, Patricia Cornwell, Dennis Lehane, Robert B Parker, Harlan Coben, Jeffery Deaver, John Sandford, Michael Dibdin, Robert Wilson. Once in a blue moon I read something that isn't crime fiction. LeCarre, science books, some military history such as Stephen Ambrose (Band of Brothers, Pegasus Bridge).
And of course Neil Gunn, Lewis Grassic Gibbon, and George Mackay Brown.

merlzin
14-Jan-11, 23:25
I'm reading stephen kings under the dome at the moment,its a really good book so far.

fender
15-Jan-11, 12:08
I had never heard of Turtledove before, fender. his work sounds very interesting. Thank you.

Anytime Ju. Alternative history full of 'what ifs'.

bella
15-Jan-11, 19:48
I've just finished Karin Slaughter's books had to read them all as got addicted to her, felt she had the kind of writing that keeps you reading and not wanting to put the book down (not great when you read in bed and have to get up early), she writes along the lines of cornwell and rankin, not as hard a read but very enjoyable and would recommend her to those who like crime.

And suggestions for writers alot the lines of crime/thriller.

highland red
15-Jan-11, 20:28
Have just finished a book called Zeitoun by Dave Eggar. (Library book from Thurso) It's a true story of what happened to a very hard working contractor (originally from Syria) in New Orleans, and his family during and after hurricane Katrina: a real eye - opener.

Currently reading the history of Darfur.

Not desperate to see any films at the moment.

Corrie 3
15-Jan-11, 21:01
I am reading my electric meters...I want to make sure I get an accurate bill this time and not a guestimate which see's me out of pocket..Its not gripping or thrilling but very essential!!

C3...

silverlady
15-Jan-11, 23:03
Crazy Love, by Francis Chan

Swannie
15-Jan-11, 23:12
I have read the 1st of the Millennium trilogy and enjoyed it. Have got the other 2 yet to read. Reading Cathy Kelly at the moment (in bed) and Tales from the Back Green by Bill Paterson (at odd moments). Enjoy historical novels, also Rebus and other Scottish crime writers e.g. Stuart McBride although gory are 'can't put down' books.

Mystical Potato Head
15-Jan-11, 23:13
An introduction to modern astrophysics..by Carrol and Ostlie

gleeber
15-Jan-11, 23:34
An introduction to modern astrophysics..by Carrol and Ostlie
I might have checked that one out myself if it had been called Astrophysics for Dummies. Probably sold a lot more copies too.
Ive become a dipper in my old age. Usually into a couple of books a day but only 10 minutes a time.

cherokee
16-Jan-11, 12:40
And suggestions for writers alot the lines of crime/thriller.

Have you tried Lee Child or James Patterson (his earlier books are the best!)?