PDA

View Full Version : Potential Primary School Closures – Wick & Thurso

docker
13-Jan-11, 16:24
Following the report in yesterdays local paper I would have thought there would have been some threads, discussions and opinions on the potential closure of primary schools in the Wick & Thurso High School catchment areas, but I can’t find anything. Do people not care about the potential closures or is it that people are resigned to the closures going ahead?

davem
13-Jan-11, 16:35
Its a study - people usually complain after proposals arrive rather than b4.

What I don't get is the SNP freezing council tax for all this time - decimating local services - they are doing it again and not a peep from anyone.
I have watched standards and levels of support for needy people drop massively over 10 years here and people don't even get the choice to vote as to whether they'd rather pay more council tax to provide care for people who really need it.

Murdina Bug
13-Jan-11, 16:37
I don't think there is much point in worrying until the review is complete as until then everything is only speculation. The comments that are likely to be made at this stage are just 'leave our schools alone, we don't want ours to shut'. I think it is likely that some change is anticipated and if people are concerned they should watch out for the 6 week consultation period. What I object to at this stage is the amount of money that is spent on external consultation to come up with the same outcome that most competant people within the council could work out on the back of an envelope!

cat
13-Jan-11, 16:40
maybe all fed up with the wick high debates! the huge public opposition to it being built at the bignold park,and still in the paper this week, a councillor says they could build it there but might take more time and a legal battle.
would be a shame to lose schools but if they are being kept open at a huge expense for too few children then i think they should close.
im sure it doesnt need a consultant to be paid £300,000 to work out what schools need closing!

lindsaymcc
13-Jan-11, 16:45
I read about it yesterday, but as others have said, we dont know any facts yet. My husband and I were discussing some of the "possible" proposals, but whats the point? We just need to sit back and wait and see a) which schools are going to be affected and b) where the children from affected schools are to be transferred to.

Also, having looked at something about this on Highland.gov.uk, its going to be a while before any sort of consultation period is set.

Gronnuck
13-Jan-11, 16:46
Its a study - people usually complain after proposals arrive rather than b4.

What I don't get is the SNP freezing council tax for all this time - decimating local services - they are doing it again and not a peep from anyone.
I have watched standards and levels of support for needy people drop massively over 10 years here and people don't even get the choice to vote as to whether they'd rather pay more council tax to provide care for people who really need it.

Most people on fixed incomes will be pleased Council Tax is frozen because they are least able to cope with annual rises often well above the rate of inflation. If you're earning a wage and getting an annual pay rise good for you; but what do you propose the less fortunate do - downsize to a tent.:confused.

theone
13-Jan-11, 19:37

There was a thread a while ago where it was highlighted that the highland council budget is made up of approx 25%(?) council tax, the rest is cash from the government.

By not raising council tax (which appeals to the public) and then blaming the council cuts on a lack of funding from westminster, the SNP can fulfill more than one agenda.

theone
13-Jan-11, 19:39
Most people on fixed incomes will be pleased Council Tax is frozen because they are least able to cope with annual rises often well above the rate of inflation. If you're earning a wage and getting an annual pay rise good for you; but what do you propose the less fortunate do - downsize to a tent.:confused.

Of course they'll be happy to pay less. But they'll also complain when services or benefits are cut.

Gronnuck
13-Jan-11, 21:36

Of course they'll be happy to pay less. But they'll also complain when services or benefits are cut.

You're missing the point theone - from where do people on fixed incomes garner the extra money from to pay the increased Council Tax?

peter macdonald
13-Jan-11, 22:00
Every time cuts are talked about its always front line services... Scottish Labour especially do this ..Why dont they start cutting all the £100k a year honchos in Inverness?? I have no problem paying a little more tax IF it would preserve services but if it goes to paying more to our council execs then no chance.
I dont feel for paying for the like of this
http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/12925/Top_earners__salaries_branded__extraordinarily__hi gh.html
http://www.wishawpress.co.uk/wishaw-news/local-wishaw-news/wishaw-news/2010/04/07/north-lanarkshire-council-have-almost-250-employees-earning-more-than-50-000-76495-26187064/
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/four-suspended-over-failed-1-9m-authority-cuts-plan-1.1079552
http://councilmaladministration.com/cost-cutting-council-spends-millions-on-rented-site
http://www.scotland.com/forums/scottish-politics/26278-glasgow-labour-corruption-exposed.html
http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Perthshire/article/392/perth-and-kinross-council-wage-bill-soars.html
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/politics/crackdown-on-cronyism-will-cut-200-000-off-council-s-wage-bill-1.1032080
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1671430

theone
14-Jan-11, 01:05
You're missing the point theone - from where do people on fixed incomes garner the extra money from to pay the increased Council Tax?

I don't think I am missing the point.

It's just that we can't continue to spend money we don't have.

If payments and tax revenue aren't increased, then services will suffer. That's a fact and burying our heads in the sand, demanding first class services when paying a second class fare, can't continue.

bagpuss
14-Jan-11, 01:07
Why don't some parents buy one of the buildings and start up a private fee paying school?

if it works for coalition England why not Scotland?

theone
14-Jan-11, 01:34
Every time cuts are talked about its always front line services... Scottish Labour especially do this ..Why dont they start cutting all the £100k a year honchos in Inverness?? I have no problem paying a little more tax IF it would preserve services but if it goes to paying more to our council execs then no chance.

Scottish Labour aren't in power in Scotland as a whole or the Highland Region either, so any influence they have on the cuts is minimal.

The problem with cutting the jobs of these "honchos" is that they are often the best people for the job, with proven track records and abiliies. Yes, a £100k salary may seem excessive, but in the private sector people with a lot less responsibility are paid a lot more than that.

How many more gritters would £100k put on the road per year? A quarter? An eighth?

The managers at the top are often seen as the villains when cuts are required, but, like in the case of many of the quangos that have been abolished as easy targets, I think more harm might be done than good.

Alice in Blunderland
14-Jan-11, 08:55
Okay so to pull this debate back on track.....

What would you accept as the outcome of this review.

Look at the catchment areas to make sure each school is running at a better capacity ?

Select closures on performance criteria as in poorer performing schools amalgamated with better performing schools ?

A couple of all singing all dancing new schools in each town to replace a few of the primary schools ?

Reduction in primary schools ?

The list is endless

One thing is for sure no matter what the outcome of this review there will be change coming whether its one we like or accept you can definitely see that a big change is about to happen in the provision of Primary Education in this area.

Time for Parent Councils and parents to sit up, take note and get involved.

gollach
14-Jan-11, 09:12
Select closures on performance criteria as in poorer performing schools amalgamated with better performing schools ?

I think that this is the most important item in the list you suggested. The council should have an idea about this already and they will have independent information from the most recent inspection reports.

peter macdonald
15-Jan-11, 13:04
"The problem with cutting the jobs of these "honchos" is that they are often the best people for the job, with proven track records and abiliies. Yes, a £100k salary may seem excessive, but in the private sector people with a lot less responsibility are paid a lot more than that"

Does that CEO of Highland Council have more responsibilties than Mr Cameron or Mr Salmon???? Yet he gets paid more
One of the differences between the private sector and those in local government is that CEOs in the private sector get sacked if they dont perform or behave. Does this happen in Local Govt ??? ...Shetland Council springs readily to mind...Not a bad payoff!!

"The managers at the top are often seen as the villains when cuts are required, but, like in the case of many of the quangos that have been abolished as easy targets, I think more harm might be done than good"

£100000 for a head of Dept = 5 bin men or 6 care assistants ,I know which ones I want and require
As for Council effiency Please read the links provided!! (which there are so many I could have filled page after page)