PDA

View Full Version : New Homes Wanted for animals

Fran
13-Jan-11, 00:07
So sad to read of new homes being sought for a few old dogs on here.

Sarah
13-Jan-11, 00:14
I thought that, lots of animals being rehomed right now :( very sad.

Commore
13-Jan-11, 17:41
One isn't, Jed the Springer spaniel has had yet another reprieve, Hubby is away now picking him up from the vets.
The wee soul has had to have teeth out and his jaw wired up, and is on soft foods now for the forseeable future,
Ask me? has he learned from his mistakes? no not a lot, he is still playimg the gangster in a family of bigger dogs.

Oh well, bed rest and coddling for a week or three...........:)

Liz
13-Jan-11, 19:36
Aw poor Jed! Get well soon. xxx

cazmanian_minx
13-Jan-11, 20:24
Was your husband dropping him off at Thurso vet just before 10 this morning? If so, I met him - lovely looking dog :) (I was on the way out with my old springer who'd been in overnight after having some lumps removed yesterday).

unicorn
13-Jan-11, 23:29
I would rather see them rehomed here than be seeing them picked up after being dumped to fend for themselves, like the house rabbit that has been here for the last 9 days.

Liz
13-Jan-11, 23:49
I would rather see them rehomed here than be seeing them picked up after being dumped to fend for themselves, like the house rabbit that has been here for the last 9 days.

I completely agree with you Unicorn. I wish everyone who can't keep their pet for whatever reason would either look for a new home themselves or contact a rehoming centre rather than dump the poor creatures![evil]

What a shame that no owner has been forthcoming for the lovely bunny you are looking after.:(
Are you keeping her or looking for a home?

unicorn
14-Jan-11, 08:16
I should really look for a home Liz as with my job I should not really have a house rabbit. That said she is no bother at all. Her and Tia had their first meeting last night, she has absolutely no fear of Tia at all, glad Tia is good with bunnies though.

Commore
14-Jan-11, 12:20
Was your husband dropping him off at Thurso vet just before 10 this morning? If so, I met him - lovely looking dog :) (I was on the way out with my old springer who'd been in overnight after having some lumps removed yesterday).

Yes he was and he did comment what a clean, smart looking smaller spaniel you had,,
Jed is never clean, never, and even straight after a bath, the first thing he looks for a puddle full of MUD.
:)c

cazmanian_minx
14-Jan-11, 15:02
Yes he was and he did comment what a clean, smart looking smaller spaniel you had,,
Jed is never clean, never, and even straight after a bath, the first thing he looks for a puddle full of MUD.
:)c

Thank you very much, she'll be chuffed! She's an oldie too, 12 now we think.

My other one is more like Jed, except it's dead birds rather than mud!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiCyY4o8gM8

Sarah
14-Jan-11, 15:27

That made me laugh, a truly happy spaniel!

cherokee
14-Jan-11, 15:31

Please excuse me Fran; I don't mean to drift away from your very good point of poor animals being rehomed through no fault of their own ! :(

BUT.........

I just have to comment on the video of Cazmanian minx's dog ......That was fantastic, what a wee devil she must be, but obviously a very happy one - bet she'd need a bath (or four!) when she got home !! X :eek:

cazmanian_minx
14-Jan-11, 16:02
Please excuse me Fran; I don't mean to drift away from your very good point of poor animals being rehomed through no fault of their own ! :(

BUT.........

I just have to comment on the video of Cazmanian minx's dog ......That was fantastic, what a wee devil she must be, but obviously a very happy one - bet she'd need a bath (or four!) when she got home !! X :eek:

Yes, sorry Fran, I've dragged it off topic I'm afraid :( Both my spaniels are rescues if that helps us steer back on course - Smokey (the one in the video) was dumped at a vet in Northumberland to be PTS aged 5 because he'd snapped a cruciate ligament and the estate he worked on didn't want the expense. He's a fully trained gundog though thanks to arthritis in both hocks (and he's only 7 now) he's retired - still try to keep up the whistle training though, because it's very useful! Red, who Commore's husband met was taken back to the rescue she originally came from because the adopters had a change in circumstances and ended up with the rescue I got her from because the other rescue said they needed £100 to take her back and she'd be PTS straight away because no-one would want a 10-y-o. She's 12 now and FAR more energetic than the younger one!

(And amazingly he didn't pong at all after that roll, though I did chuck him in the sea on the way home!! It helped he'd been to Pampered Pets the week previously, so there wasn't much of pelt there - he currently looks like a burst sofa and is booked in for another buzz cut at the end of March!)

Dadie
14-Jan-11, 16:48
Our old springer "did" his cruciate ligament at the same time I did my one in!
He was old at 14 and didnt survive the pre med, never mind the op!
He loved to roll in smelly stuff on the beach...dead seal took ages to remove!
Poppy dog our lab was a rescue.
I hate to see all the rehoming ads this soon after christmas, but, its slightly better than just dumping the animals!

Commore
14-Jan-11, 16:49

I know this dog! She is lovely, playful and a joy to have ariound, just like Jed.

Liz
14-Jan-11, 23:40
I completely agree with you Unicorn. I wish everyone who can't keep their pet for whatever reason would either look for a new home themselves or contact a rehoming centre rather than dump the poor creatures![evil]

Whilst I stick by what I said it does sadden me the number of animals (dogs in particular) up for homing. I completley understand for a few there are genuine and unselfish reasons for this and that it is a very difficult decison.For others though I fear that not enough thought is given in getting a pet in the first place and then they are found not to fit in with the person's lifestyle; cost too much etc.

I just wish with all my heart that people would stop and think before giving a pet a home as it isn't fair to move them from pillar to post.

I fear it is often too easy to get them in the first place.

unicorn
15-Jan-11, 05:30
I absolutely agree liz but as I have said already I would rather these people use this medium to rehome than dump animals that CANNOT survive on there own.

Liz
15-Jan-11, 13:04
I absolutely agree liz but as I have said already I would rather these people use this medium to rehome than dump animals that CANNOT survive on there own.

Oh absolutely!!! I would MUCH prefer animals to be rehomed than dumped!

Commore
15-Jan-11, 18:02
Oh absolutely!!! I would MUCH prefer animals to be rehomed than dumped!

At the risk of appearing naiive, are there many animals dumped in the county?
By county, I mean Caithness and Sutherland, North coast areas.

The Happy Humanist
15-Jan-11, 19:07
Sadly yes Commore, that's why we had the very difficult decision of not taking one of your lovely puppies, but rehoming an older one through KWK9. It probably would have been easier for us training up a younger dog, since I have to say as our big "daftie" had only had a few weeks of good fostering to help him out of his "adaptive behaviour" (for want of a better word LOL) from the street. But no regrets, he has the sweetest nature and deserved a chance. Can't praise KWK9 enough for their efforts, but its so sad they have to exist at all.
Hope your pups are thriving.
Kind regards
Kate

Liz
15-Jan-11, 19:22

Sadly yes Commore, that's why we had the very difficult decision of not taking one of your lovely puppies, but rehoming an older one through KWK9. It probably would have been easier for us training up a younger dog, since I have to say as our big "daftie" had only had a few weeks of good fostering to help him out of his "adaptive behaviour" (for want of a better word LOL) from the street. But no regrets, he has the sweetest nature and deserved a chance. Can't praise KWK9 enough for their efforts, but its so sad they have to exist at all.
Hope your pups are thriving.
Kind regards
Kate

As Kate has rightly said there are far too many animals dumped! I was a volunteer with Cats Protection for many years and it really opened my eyes as to how many poor cats are just abandoned. Many are dumped in the countryside like rubbish!
I have been feeding strays for many years. Sadly, many of them aren't suitable for rehoming but have found good homes for some of them.
My own cat Molly was one of the casualties and appeared at my house heavily pregnant.
She is the most wonderful and loving pet and I just can't fathom out why she would be treated like this by her former owners.[evil]

I didn't realise just how many dogs were abandoned until I met Anne, our wonderful dog warden. It is so good that KWK9 was set up to help her and they are doing a wonderful job rehoming these poor unfortunate dogs.
I agree with Kate that it is a shame they even need to exist but thank God they do.

Well done for giving an unwanted dog a good home Kate!:D

Commore
15-Jan-11, 19:44
As Kate has rightly said there are far too many animals dumped! I was a volunteer with Cats Protection for many years and it really opened my eyes as to how many poor cats are just abandoned. Many are dumped in the countryside like rubbish!
I have been feeding strays for many years. Sadly, many of them aren't suitable for rehoming but have found good homes for some of them.
My own cat Molly was one of the casualties and appeared at my house heavily pregnant.
She is the most wonderful and loving pet and I just can't fathom out why she would be treated like this by her former owners.[evil]

I didn't realise just how many dogs were abandoned until I met Anne, our wonderful dog warden. It is so good that KWK9 was set up to help her and they are doing a wonderful job rehoming these poor unfortunate dogs.
I agree with Kate that it is a shame they even need to exist but thank God they do.

Well done for giving an unwanted dog a good home Kate!:D

For ourselves, we got a bit of a shock when adopting our old blind and deaf
Collie, Rhuaridh, but we thought him to be a one-off as it were although at that time the rescue centre did have quite a few dogs and cats in.

His general state was deplorable, all matted and sore underneath.

I had no idea the situation of dumping or abandoning animals was as bad in the north, as bad as the cities almost.
It is totally unexpected given our rural location,
and yes, I too am thankful for centres of respite for such animals and for the rehoming efforts of so many others.

Our puppies, we had five, two have been rehomed and the remaining three will remain with us and all five are thriving, thank you.

I would take / from a rescue centre but would not put an animal into one.

KWK9 Rescue
15-Jan-11, 19:45

Between Sept 2009 and July 2010 the Dog Warden rehomed 58 dogs in her spare time, the majority of those were strays whose 7 days were up. Since KWK9 Rescue formed in July 2010 we have rehomed approx 40 dogs, some of these were hand ins, but again most were strays picked up in the county who were never claimed.
I personally did not realise how many dogs were being abandoned in our area either until I got involved with KWK9 and really got my eyes opened.

The Happy Humanist
15-Jan-11, 19:50
Glad they are all doing so well, you must post some pictures someday! They were so cute, I'm sure they are growing up to be lovely.

For ourselves, we got a bit of a shock when adopting our old blind and deaf
Collie, Rhuaridh, but we thought him to be a one-off as it were although at that time the rescue centre did have quite a few dogs and cats in.

His general state was deplorable, all matted and sore underneath.

I had no idea the situation of dumping or abandoning animals was as bad in the north, as bad as the cities almost.
It is totally unexpected given our rural location,
and yes, I too am thankful for centres of respite for such animals and for the rehoming efforts of so many others.

Our puppies, we had five, two have been rehomed and the remaining three will remain with us and all five are thriving, thank you.

I would take / from a rescue centre but would not put an animal into one.

Torvaig
15-Jan-11, 21:31
Between Sept 2009 and July 2010 the Dog Warden rehomed 58 dogs in her spare time, the majority of those were strays whose 7 days were up. Since KWK9 Rescue formed in July 2010 we have rehomed approx 40 dogs, some of these were hand ins, but again most were strays picked up in the county who were never claimed.
I personally did not realise how many dogs were being abandoned in our area either until I got involved with KWK9 and really got my eyes opened.

These figures are astounding! Nearly 100 dogs rehomed since July 2009! I take my hat off to Anne (dog warden) and to all at KWK9 Rescue for saving those dogs and to all the new dog lovers who have now got a new loving, faithful friend.

I do hope that anyone looking for a dog in the future will seriously consider saving a rescue dog which, through no fault of its own, finds itself waiting patiently in a shelter for someone to love and nurture him/her.....please......

sweetpea
16-Jan-11, 00:04
And all these dogs are through official channels. I know personally my dog was a rescue in a sense just that I found out about him myself. I'm sure there are cases where the person's circumstances have changed such as break down of relationships or illness and the owner finds them new homes, but why do some people open the door and let them fend for themselves and expect the warden to deal with them. Makes me mad.