PDA

View Full Version : 12 Month Old Black Labrador Dog Needs a Loving Home

crustyroll
12-Jan-11, 18:39
I have hesitated to post on the Org regarding Ozzy as I had hoped to find him a good home by myself. However, this has not happened even with enquiries and help from KW9 Canine Rescue. It seems lots of people don't want to take on a 12 month old puppy that has loads of bounce!!

As stated above Ozzy is actually only 1 year old this Friday and I would like to keep him but for practical reasons he has to be rehomed. I bred him myself and still have his father although lost him mum at Xmas. The parents were both health tested and spoilt rotten. The main reasons I have to rehome him are:-

I have 2 bitches and 2 dogs already - I lost one bitch at Xmas. The two dogs I have are not a major problem when the bitches come into season - this will become a problem when they come into season soon. It isn't fair on Ozzy to go through the stress of being with in season bitches if he isnt going to be used. This will also cause more upset for the boys with a new guy on the scene to compete with.

He is fitting in so well with us and the other dogs that he's learning all their little habits and ours, not a problem for us, but could be a problem for a new owner, ie, at the moment he gets up on the couch as do all the other dogs.

He really deserves to get one to one attention and not have to have it shared out between the 5 of them. He loves the company of the other dogs but he's also just as happy with you playing with him. He's a clever boy, only this morning I asked him to go out and get the teddy from the garden and he ran an took it in! He adores attention, which can be a handful as he's a big strong boy and loves sitting on my husbands lap.

To be honest I can only fault his over enthusiam to people and his energy, he goes from dusk till dawn. Of course he has little things that need to be ironed out but as times goes on he's learning. He would excel at agility or training for the gun and field as he's so eager to learn and run. He sounds perfect but again he isn't, he's a big strong boy that is mentally still very much a puppy and unless you really know Labradors' then it can be a shock to the system.

I am more than happy to answer any questions about him but please, only serious enquiries as I don't want to have my hopes raised that he's found a home or give him up and it's a bad decision.... he's only been here 2 months and even typing this I am actually wondering if I can let him go that easily :~(

pepsimax
12-Jan-11, 19:27
Could you not get Ozzy neutered so that when your bitches come into season it wont be a major problem? He sounds really happy with you and you may regret rehoming him as after a year you get really attached.

crustyroll
12-Jan-11, 19:45
No, Ozzy was bred here so I had him for the first 8 weeks and he went to his new owners. Unfortunately it didn't work out for them and Ozzy came back to me in November, so he's only been back for 2 months.

A neutered dog won't necessarily not try to mount an in season bitch or compete with another dog. When your dogs live in the house and are not kennelled and you see how stressful it can be for dogs and bitches then you would understand why I don't want to put Ozzy through that hassle.

pepsimax
12-Jan-11, 20:01
My apologies, I didnt realise he had been sent back to you and I can now see why you are anxious to find him a new home. I have 2 females ( 9ys and 1yr) and when the puppy had her first season a few months ago my silly old dog who has been spayed kept trying to mount her so I do know thats its not the most fun time. I hope you find a great forever home for Ozzy!

crustyroll
12-Jan-11, 20:50
Thanks, Ozzy so deserves a good home that will give him all the attention and love that he needs as he really is a lovely boy.

crustyroll
15-Jan-11, 13:44
bumping up

crustyroll
15-Jan-11, 18:38
Evo4, for some reason your post is not showing although I received it in my email?

As much as some people are happy with their adoptions from Carolyne, we have different views and I won't use her services or let any of my dogs be rehomed through Labrador Rescue. I am a member of the Labrador Club of Scotland and have utilized their services already but we are at a disadvantage being so far north for a lot of people.

If someone really genuinely wants Ozzy then they will come along, I'm not pawning him off to anyone just to make it more convenient to me. If that was the case he would have been gone long ago or I wouldn't have taken him back from his owners and let them hand him over to Lab Rescue.

dragonfly
15-Jan-11, 19:06
it was there before Crustyroll as I saw it - good for you wanting the best for your pup, I'm sure Ozzy will find his home eventually.

Liz
15-Jan-11, 19:34
Yes I wish all breeders were like you Crustyroll.

As you say I am sure he will find the right home.

kel24
16-Jan-11, 22:53
Me and my partner would love to get a labrador puppy or even give Ozzy a loving home but we are going away the first weekend of feb, so it wouldnt be fair to any animal at the pressent time.

crustyroll
16-Jan-11, 23:32
I have pm'd you