PDA

View Full Version : Tips for dieting

ShelleyCowie
12-Jan-11, 15:03
I have alot of people on my facebook who are on diets at the moment and i bid you all the very best of luck! You have already done better than me in actually deciding to take the plunge. I vowed to myself never to go back on a diet. If i ever want to loose weight i basically cut out the junk and fizzy juice and do it in my own time. I do however plan to loose a stone before July....should be easy enough done right?! [lol]

But i thought it would be nice for people to share some tips to help each other out! :Razz

If you are craving crisps or chocolate, or even a sneaky greasy bacon roll then try to avoid like the plague! Spend a short amount of time peeling and chopping some carrot or cucumber sticks and putting them in a resealable baggy in the fridge. That way you can just dip your hand in and take some to nibble on!

Also i used to find that having some yellow peppers stopped my sugary cravings because its quite sweet!

If youve tried that and still feel the need to indulge, grab your MP3 or put a CD on, dance around or grab a duster and go round the house (dancing as you go) not only takes your mind off things but a wee bit of exercise too!

Anyone got anything to share?! :Razz

porshiepoo
12-Jan-11, 15:18
I'm trying to wean myself off my choccie addiction at the moment. In fact I have a huge sugar addiction and crave it regularly all through the day.
Took me a while to work out that sugary cereals set me up for a day beset with sugar addiction beginning with the collywobbles at lunchtime and not finishing till I go to bed.

I now have either Granola or porridge with Pineapple for breakfast. Both fill me up, seem to please the sugar side of me and don't give me the collywobbles.
I'm learning to distract myself when I want something sugary. I tell myself if I still crave it in 20 minutes (or even 10 minutes if necessary) then I can have it. Usually the craving loses its momentum and I don't have it.

Failing that girls, if you are seriously craving something sweet or fattening, take 2 mins to go look in the mirror. Works for me! Puts me off adding any more bulk to my body.

Plus exercise. Sign up for a run (I've just entered Castle of Mey for 2nd year running) and you'll find more incentive to get yourself out there training. Running is totally free exercise that only needs to include others as much or as little as you want. Plus it only costs the price of a decent pair of trainers (a necessary).

Dadie
12-Jan-11, 15:19
Drink water...if you feel hungry, drink a large glass of water and only eat if still hungry 10mins later.
Eat things full of flavour, not calories, diet food doesnt need to be bland and boring.
Eatb at the table, not infront of the puter or telly.
Bacon rolls are not too bad as a treat..grill the bacon and have no spread..or use the fat free mayo on one side and have a BLT!
Eat soup, fills you up for longer.
Freeze small slices of mars bar, curly wurly etc to eat straight from the freezer or a choc coated banana as a treat.
Only eat until you feel nearly full and dont wait until you are starving to eat!
Dont shop when hungry.
Dont eat the kids leftovers.
Yeah...know the rules....but sitting by the puter with a (kids)discarded half eaten sausage roll now in my possession just waiting for the twice licked fairy cake to come my way!

silverlady
12-Jan-11, 15:21
What a good idea, and how nice to be able to help each other on here! Maybe if this thread was a sticky ( I sound as if I know what I am talking about and I havent a clue how to do that!), it could be a permanent feature and we can cheer each other on anytime its needed! Me and OH both need to get fit and healthy - hope to find some tips, and maybe pass some on. Good for you Shelley!

changilass
12-Jan-11, 15:47
If people are interested enough then it will stay at the top withouth the need to make it sticky lol.

I agree that diet food doesn't need to be bland, you can make some very interesting flavours by experimenting with various herbs and spices.

I have the larges collection of herbs and spices in the family and every single one of them gest used on a regular basis.

annemarie482
12-Jan-11, 16:34
i am one of shellys mentioned facebook friends! lol
i joined slimming world last week and have stuck to it religiously.....so far!
with writing down and counting syns on what i eat, the main eye openers for me was the amount of bread i ate! between toast, sandwichs etc and thats a big no no! you think your being healthy when in fact your eating the wrong things.
this week i have eaten more fruit than i probably did the whole of last year! eek!
and now im getting used to things, i can prepare proper meals without the offending ingredients.

a couple of wee tips i've learned about natural yoghurt....

use natural yoghurt instead of mayo when having a bk pot and tuna.

when peckish a bowl of berries topped with natural yoghurt is refreshing and filling.

make a curry sauce (for your curries) out of yoghurt and herbs (a first for me!)

good luck folks!
will let you know if the diets working tomorrow night at weigh in time! lol

Beat Bug
12-Jan-11, 17:03
The so called 'Diet' plans don't work. You know the ones: cabbage diet: banana diet: 3 day liquid diet. etc. etc. OK they're OK for a quick fix, but as soon as you come off it, the weight piles back on again! The only thing that really works is changing your eating habits for good! It's having the will power to stick with it!. Or worse still, other half eating you out of house and home!

annemarie482
12-Jan-11, 17:07
totally agree beat bug!
the only good thing with slimmers is i'm learning what is good and not good for you.
it doesn't starve you at all, just teaches you how to balance your food to stay healthy.
once i've done it a few weeks it'll become natural to me.

porshiepoo
12-Jan-11, 17:25
If someone fancies it they could make this a Group.

im behind you
12-Jan-11, 17:30
dont eat ???

Allsorts
12-Jan-11, 18:18
I find when I want to "lose" weight if I write down what I have eaten in the day that reminds me to eat well and not just shove food in the mouth.

Beat Bug
12-Jan-11, 18:22
dont eat ???

If you don't eat, your body thinks 'Hey, no food! Must hang on to what I've got' therefore, no weight loss.

beetlecrusher
12-Jan-11, 18:39
Its basically about portion control. There's no point in depriving yourself of your favourite foods - you just end up craving them all the more. Use a smaller plate/bowl and exercise, exercise, exercise. Tis the only way. :D

Blarney
12-Jan-11, 19:20
Lots of great ideas there girls but none of you have mentioned my surefire tip for losing weight - superglue the lips together ;)

joxville
12-Jan-11, 19:58
My tips:

1. Buy healthy foods.

2. Eat less.

3. Exercise

End of.

Leanne
12-Jan-11, 22:17
Smaller plates means it's easier to sort your portion sizes.

A new thing I have started doing is eating with chop sticks - takes longer to eat than shovelling food in with a fork so you notice when you are feeling full :)

.D.
12-Jan-11, 22:27
In four words...

Eat less, exercise more!

Simples!

Dadie
12-Jan-11, 22:45
You dont need to eat less...just make more healthy choices!
You can actually eat more than what you usually did if you ate high sugar/high fat foods before!
Exercise more...I will give you that one!

pumkin
13-Jan-11, 06:42
Well when i feel like sumthin sweet i make flapjacks with honey and seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame) can add nuts etc. good for sweet cravings.
http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/273859/Seeded-flapjacks
I stopped eating meat apart from fish, dairy apart from a wee bit of cheese now and then and changed bread and pasta to wholemeal. Feel and look so much better for it. I think everyone is diffferent foodwise though, and its about finding the right diet for you.
Although i had a wee meltdown today and went to shop for chocolate.It was dam good! I think thats allowed now and again :)

steeko
13-Jan-11, 20:50
One can always check the calorie count on the food they buy. May take a little longer but different brands can vary quite a lot.

annemarie482
13-Jan-11, 21:38
woohoo!
lost 2.5lb @ tonights weigh in! :D

orkneycadian
14-Jan-11, 00:36
I have alot of people on my facebook who are on diets at the moment and i bid you all the very best of luck!

But i thought it would be nice for people to share some tips to help each other out!

Anyone got anything to share?! :Razz

Don't use Facebook?

ShelleyCowie
14-Jan-11, 00:47
Don't use Facebook?

Eh why? Unless you have a valid point then there really was no reason for you to comment.

orkneycadian
14-Jan-11, 19:32
If all yout friends are on Facebook and all/lots of them are on diets, maybe theres a connection! ;)

Otherwise, as a few folk posted above, eat less!

ShelleyCowie
14-Jan-11, 19:44
If all yout friends are on Facebook and all/lots of them are on diets, maybe theres a connection! ;)

:roll: sure, thanks for the input, i'll just shove my jam doughnut in my gob whilst on FB tonight ;)

Droopy
14-Jan-11, 23:56

I must also admit to agreeing with the above post and find it amusingly ironic, if people want to loose weight, dont sit on your asses writing inane dribble on here all day comparing notes on when facebook is on or offline and how quick the pages load on a half hourly newsflash basis.

Get outside, go a walk, get a job even......kill 2 birds with one stone, dont worry about how fast the pictures of other nosey peoples holiday, new car, new TV, new dog, hairbrush, hair lice etc photos download and loose weight at the same time![lol]

.D.
15-Jan-11, 00:07
I must also admit to agreeing with the above post and find it amusingly ironic, if people want to loose weight, dont sit on your asses writing inane dribble on here all day comparing notes on when facebook is on or offline and how quick the pages load on a half hourly newsflash basis.

Get outside, go a walk, get a job even......kill 2 birds with one stone, dont worry about how fast the pictures of other nosey peoples holiday, new car, new TV, new dog, hairbrush, hair lice etc photos download and loose weight at the same time![lol]

Well, Droopy, firstly - LMAO & secondly - rather harshly put & thirdly - again, LMAO

trix
15-Jan-11, 10:00
if people want to loose weight, dont sit on your asses writing inane dribble on here all day comparing notes on when facebook is on or offline and how quick the pages load on a half hourly newsflash basis.

what the .......???

am no sure o' 'e relevance o' iss post..........i certainaly da think its funny.

am prity sure that 'e girls on here are prity active as it is....jobs....bairns.........lookin efter men...crap....

go ootside? go a walk? get a job even??

eh? :roll:

ridiculous...........!

its a proven fact that wemin hold more weight than men....must be somethin til do wi' protectin 'e bairns that lives inside them for 9 months. i da ken lek.......

shakin ma heid ifanow.......

ShelleyCowie
15-Jan-11, 10:35
Well said Trix! You said it better than i could, all i could think of was curse words lol

Sometimes i wonder why im not anorexic with the amount of running around i do after everyone. Fair enuf i dont exactly eat to compensate it! Lol!

I do go outside, i do go walks but not really willing to drag my kids out when the weather is the way it has been over the festive period! Hopefully this is the weather improving slightly so i can get out a walk with the kids.

Also i have a job! Like the rest of the mums we work 24/7. Cant go part time with this lot! Lol!

So if any other ladies have diet tips please do share, anything that you find supresses your sugar cravings, whats your favourite diet meal?

annemarie482
15-Jan-11, 12:24
i already knew it....
everyone knew it.....
with the new diet, curiosity crept in.....
and
BOKE!!!

QUORN is absolutely postively DISGUSTING!!

always listen to you instincts!!

ShelleyCowie
15-Jan-11, 12:26
i already knew it....
everyone knew it.....
with the new diet, curiosity crept in.....
and
BOKE!!!

QUORN is absolutely postively DISGUSTING!!

always listen to you instincts!!

Lmao! I just had a giggle at ur post on FB! Well....at least you know now ;)

lindsaymcc
15-Jan-11, 12:44
Quorn Curry is a favourite of mine!

Home made from scratch using the "chicken style pieces" and you really dont notice the difference! Will get hubby to jot down the recipe if you fancy another chance?

I dont like any other Quorn products except the mince in a heavily seasoned spag bol!

ShelleyCowie
15-Jan-11, 12:46
I have to agree with lindsay! Iv tried the chicken and the mince. I couldnt taste a difference in the chicken at all! And same as Lindsay iv had the mince for chilli (tacos) and couldnt taste a difference! Tried the sausages and they were absolutely wrong! Lol

annemarie482
15-Jan-11, 12:47
i'm allowed all other meat on the diet but sausages are too fatty so thought i'd try an alternative.
now, i think i'll just pass on sausages lol

lindsaymcc
15-Jan-11, 12:51
Try Scottish Slimmers Venison sausages...... they are 1/2 or 1 syn each and lovely! Can get them in Tesco.

annemarie482
15-Jan-11, 13:22
ooh didnt know that!
will try them, cheers :)

lindsaymcc
15-Jan-11, 13:24
No worries, they are really nice actually. I was a bit hmmm the first time I bought them, as was dying for a proper sausage, and these were fabulous!

trix
15-Jan-11, 14:02
i da ken aboot diets but i hed a fill o' drink last nite so am off for bried (as soon as a fenesh ma coffee) an when i get back am goin til hev...

toast (wi' butter)
beans
blackpuddin
sausages
.......an a fried eigg ;)

an boy is it goin til be guid.....:Razz

so, all ye's dieters an veggies can kiss ma bare.....:Razz

Fluff
15-Jan-11, 14:55
Eat less rubbish, do more exercise! I try not to keep crisps chocolate etc in the flat, I know I am likely to eat it when I am bored. I have also gotten into the habit of using smaller plates when eating dinner, it's surprising how much it helps!
The most important thing I do though is not beat myself up when I fall off the wagon. I am only human and will make up for it another day!

I have had good success using the slimfast shakes for lunch, it helps I like the taste of them :)

Vistravi
16-Jan-11, 14:28
I have found that once i know how much sugar, fat, calories, salt etc is in something i tend to not want to eat it when i crave it. A look in the mirror helps too! I'm not liking how i look atm at all.

Just completed a 30 day challenge exercise plan on the ea active wii game i got. Just replaced the eay stretch band they provide with a extra strong one as well. Boy do you feel that when you use it! Been a bit naughty with the diet and badly straining my ankle has not helped. The last 2 weeks of the challenge i was still doing it with my strained ankle but cutting out the things i couldn't do such as the track running (Talk about pain!) and any jumping exercises. Haven't lost that much weight but my legs have grown in strength and certain leg exercises i used to struggle on i can do no bother now. My partner and i started this program at the same time and where i have developed a lot more endurance in my legs he has developed a lot of endurance in his upper body. Both due to the fact he used to do weights and bulked up and i've walked everywhere my whole life so far leading to strong legs. It can be rather funny that we struggle on what the other doesn't. As i hate the way my arms are i've bought a set of dumbells to give them a nice shape but not to go muscuar.
Booked myself in for my gym induction next saturday. Giving my ankle a week or so to heal properly and then getting back into the exercise program.
Trying my best to kick the sugary things. Making sure i have plenty of fruit in the house and trying to eat that instead of the things i end up craving. We make our food from scratch and making sure we are eating good.

Your game just dance 2 will help keep you in shape Shelley as its a good cardio workout providing you do it long enough. I'm hooked on the just completed my workout and all sweaty feeling. I always feel good after compelting my workout and haivng a well earned shower. I'm not liking not doing my intensive work outs atm but its nesscary to get my ankle normal again so i can do them again unrestricted.

Vistravi
16-Jan-11, 14:34
woohoo!
lost 2.5lb @ tonights weigh in! :D

Well done!!!!

I have to agree with you on quorn. Yuck! I'll have the real stuff anytime. Even my 8 month old son knows the difference lol.