PDA

View Full Version : From the other side

badger
20-Aug-06, 19:45
Glad to see a few more threads here as Kingetter was beginning to look a bit lonely. Wish I could contribute but I belong firmly in the audience – love words and music, even better when combined, so many great choral works that stay in the memory. Sadly it comes in and stays but nothing worth having comes out. The beautiful people need the useful to keep them going and to listen – I belong to the useful, not the beautiful.

No! I am not Prince Hamlet, nor was meant to be;
Am an attendant lord, one that will do
To swell a progress, start a scene or two,
Advise the prince; no doubt, an easy tool,
Deferential, glad to be of use,
Politic, cautious, and meticulous;
Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse;
At times, indeed, almost ridiculous –
Almost, at the times, the Fool.

I learnt all that poem (T.S. Eliot – The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock) at school and have never forgotten it. Not an exact description (never been deferential ) but I’m sure you get the gist. Wish now I had learnt more as it’s harder to commit to memory these days although somehow always easier if set to music (which as far as I know that has never been).

However there is lots of writing talent in Caithness, and I’m sure amongst other orgers, so let’s hope this thread will grow and prosper for the rest of us to read. Maybe one day someone will publish "The Collected Org".

Kingetter
20-Aug-06, 19:56
Glad to see a few more threads here as Kingetter was beginning to look a bit lonely. Wish I could contribute but I belong firmly in the audience – love words and music, even better when combined, so many great choral works that stay in the memory. Sadly it comes in and stays but nothing worth having comes out. The beautiful people need the useful to keep them going and to listen – I belong to the useful, not the beautiful.

I learnt all that poem (T.S. Eliot – The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock) at school and have never forgotten it. Not an exact description (never been deferential ) but I’m sure you get the gist. Wish now I had learnt more as it’s harder to commit to memory these days although somehow always easier if set to music (which as far as I know that has never been).

However there is lots of writing talent in Caithness, and I’m sure amongst other orgers, so let’s hope this thread will grow and prosper for the rest of us to read. Maybe one day someone will publish "The Collected Org".

I'd hope we would get a variety of contributions - plenty of scope here. I like your contribution - thanks.