PDA

View Full Version : Why?!

Vistravi
11-Jan-11, 00:55
Noticed today that 4 of my neighbours have real christmas trees dumped whole in their gardens. I don't understand why they can't hack it to bits and stick it all in their brown bins instead of just dragging it out the house and dumping it in the garden [evil]

If people like my neighbours can't be bothered doing the decent thing after and getting it recycled then why do they buy a real tree for christmas?!

Really bugs me as my partner and i do our best to recycle everything that we can. We do this well and have to make twice weekly trips to the recycling centre.

changilass
11-Jan-11, 00:59
We didn't have a real tree this year, but when we do, we usually start recycling it the day after boxing day.

I hack at the bottom branches and burn them in the fire, by the time the tree is due to come down its just a 12 inch stump and that goes in the fire too.

The Music Monster
11-Jan-11, 01:04
We made a garden feature out of ours one year. It was quite successful and actually got a wren to nest in it. Our cat used to quite like sitting threateningly at it, but I think it was too much hard work for her to try and catch any of the little birds:lol:!!
I must confess, our tree has been abandoned in the back garden until the weather becomes a bit more hospitable and we can hack it up and stick it in the brown bin. It is out of everyone's way though, so hopefully it shouldn't be causing too much offence.

Moira
11-Jan-11, 01:04
We've not had a real Christmas tree for a few years now but it used to be the case that the Recycling Lorry picked up the trees, whole, on the usual "Brown Bin Day". If this is still the case maybe your neighbours will place them on the pavement for uplift on the appropriate day.

Dadie
11-Jan-11, 01:22
trying to get rid of a real tree is as hard as getting hold of a decent one before christmas, but not too much before it wont survive the christmas period..
Think the brown bin is the only option of green disposal...

charley9
11-Jan-11, 07:52
Our christmas tree is 'dumped whole' in our garden at the moment, as the recycling lorry does not come round to us until Thursday, I dare say this is the reason for other people doing this too.

Kevin Milkins
11-Jan-11, 09:39
We've not had a real Christmas tree for a few years now but it used to be the case that the Recycling Lorry picked up the trees, whole, on the usual "Brown Bin Day". If this is still the case maybe your neighbours will place them on the pavement for uplift on the appropriate day.

They came up our street yesterday picking up trees for recycling.

Carole
11-Jan-11, 11:42
Our christmas tree is 'dumped whole' in our garden at the moment, as the recycling lorry does not come round to us until Thursday, I dare say this is the reason for other people doing this too.

ditto - at least it was until yesterday, now stowed in the brown bin.

What's the rush OP? And why rush to criticise your neighbours?

Kirdon
11-Jan-11, 14:25
They lifted our tree whole, no need to pack it in bin just left it beside.

Gronnuck
11-Jan-11, 16:10
Like last year we bought a Fraser Fir with its roots in a pot. Now with the decorations taken down, the 'naked' tree sits in the garden awaiting planting alongside its older brother. Who knows we might manage a wee forest in a few years,:D.

Carole
11-Jan-11, 16:24
They lifted our tree whole, no need to pack it in bin just left it beside.

That's great! Wish I'd known that before we chopped our's up.

pumkin
12-Jan-11, 00:38
I know in Glasgow you can buy trees already in a pot, after using it for xmas you go and plant it somewhere. What a lovely idea. i love having a real tree but feel way too guilty throwing it away after. had a fake one this year and it looked pretty miserable to be honest. think it would be a great way to end xmas planting your much loved tree somewhere nice.

Moira
12-Jan-11, 01:11

Thanks Kevin. The OP has the answer to her question now. :)

Blarney
12-Jan-11, 01:13
Noticed today that 4 of my neighbours have real christmas trees dumped whole in their gardens. I don't understand why they can't hack it to bits and stick it all in their brown bins instead of just dragging it out the house and dumping it in the garden [evil]

If people like my neighbours can't be bothered doing the decent thing after and getting it recycled then why do they buy a real tree for christmas?!

Really bugs me as my partner and i do our best to recycle everything that we can. We do this well and have to make twice weekly trips to the recycling centre.
You're jumping to conclusions Vistravi, as others have already pointed out. I'm another one who has left the tree whole pending the arrival of the appropriate recycling truck as I won't fill my car with pine needles to take it to the centre with the rest of my recycling stuff. You should climb down from that high horse.