PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever bought fish online?

Sarah
10-Jan-11, 00:04
I'm hoping to get some Siamese Fighting Fish, but I can find any decent breeders nearby, and I'd rather not get from Pets at Home (plus, that's a long journey too).

I've found a couple of companies who send the fish to your door, they are well packaged and have a heat pad, but my parents are saying it would be pointless as they would be dead when they got here (which I am sure they wouldn't be but they are skeptical).

Just wondered if anyone had, or if anyone has any thoughts.

Dadie
10-Jan-11, 10:18
You do know you can only get 1 male siamese fighter in your tank as 2 will fight to the death!
If getting them sent up by courier I would wait until the snow has gone(not just up here but the roads for the whole journey)!
You dont want them stuck somewhere:eek:
Speak to the company by phone first as we may be too remote for them to deliver too.
And quarintine the fish you get for at least a week before adding them to your main tank.
But let us know how you get on please!

richard1976
10-Jan-11, 15:29
hi, i have ordered fish online many times and have had no dead ones arrive and all still alive, no infections or diseases but just to be safe i would agree with dadie on the quarantine i also do this. and agrreing with dadie again id wait until the weather has passed, because although they are well packed with heat pads these are only effective at temperatures above 5-6 degrees. im currently waitin on weather so i can order more. i buy from discountfish.co.uk. but make sure you know your fish and whats compatible with what ect as they do not offer you any info. i will soon have some babies looking for a new home in a couple of weeks they are little small still, not quite what your looking for but if you know anybody that would be interested in any kenyi malawi cichlids lol i have a few. anyways let us know how you get on. vicky

Dadie
10-Jan-11, 15:36
Hmmn
Please give me more info on the cichids please!
Maybe not..just looked em up aggressive little blighters....
No one else would be left in my tank!
Thanks.
I have a community tank.

richard1976
10-Jan-11, 15:46
hi pm'd you

Sarah
10-Jan-11, 21:02
I meant females, its recommended females are kept in groups of 5 or more. :) Males yes, they can only be kept one to a tank. And yes, as the tank will take 6 weeks to cycle, hopefully the snow will be long gone by then, if not, I can wait a bit longer.

K.B
11-Jan-11, 00:30
we have also used discountfish.co.uk and have always received our fish in excellent (or as excellent as can be after travelling lol) and yes again quarintine is evry important, we currently have peacock bass google them they are amazing....we also bought a red oscar frome richard1976 and he gets on great with our tiger oscar. at the moment we have bass, oscars and jaguar
all the best on getting your fish and keep us updated :)

porshiepoo
11-Jan-11, 10:39
We've bought loads of Koi online and have never had any problems.
Delivery is always prompt and the boxing and packaging is always superb. The koi are still thriving in our outdoor natural pond.

richard1976
11-Jan-11, 12:19
hi K.B glad to know that the oscar is still doing well, richard does miss it, it had such a character. has it got any bigger since you have had it? vicky

K.B
11-Jan-11, 18:51
hi K.B glad to know that the oscar is still doing well, richard does miss it, it had such a character. has it got any bigger since you have had it? vicky

Hi vicky yeah he as gotten a wee bit bigger and loves being fed by hand would put pics up but been having problems with uploading but keep ur eye out incase i figure it out lol

Sarah
11-Jan-11, 19:39
we have also used discountfish.co.uk and have always received our fish in excellent (or as excellent as can be after travelling lol) and yes again quarintine is evry important, we currently have peacock bass google them they are amazing....we also bought a red oscar frome richard1976 and he gets on great with our tiger oscar. at the moment we have bass, oscars and jaguar
all the best on getting your fish and keep us updated :)

Thank you for this! That is not a website I had seen before, and it looks promising for once the tank is set up. Was the postage £20 for you? I see it says UK mainland, but I know a lot of websites say the Highlands aren't mainland.

richard1976
13-Jan-11, 00:26
hi yeah the post and packaging was still £20 but that was for any amount of fish the postage stays the same.