PDA

View Full Version : Pie in the Sky

Royster1911
20-Aug-06, 08:51
Am I just being a miserable sod or is £1.50 for a scotch pie in a cafe (Thurso) a wee bit too much?[disgust]

Bobinovich
20-Aug-06, 10:56
Well that really depends if it was a Johnson's pie or not, and also if it was a sit-in or take-out, heated or not. All these possibilities!!!!

Naefearjustbeer
20-Aug-06, 11:13
Doesnt sound too bad to me, If it were the price to buy one to take away then that would be a bit much. But when you are getting a seat and service you expect to pay a wee bit more.

Loafer
20-Aug-06, 11:21
If it was a Johnston's pie, it was around £1.49 too much, cold or hot!

The Loafer

Royster1911
20-Aug-06, 11:21
I do not object to people making a profit from their establishments, but whether it`s a Jhonstones pie or not is not the case, nor whether it is warm,hot,cold eating in or out. £1.50 is still over 100% mark up. For that price, I would expect a share in the company. It did not state any of the above mentioned on the menu so I would assume (wrongly possibly) that it was a cold scotch pie.

Royster1911
20-Aug-06, 11:27
The service consisted of me (my wife) going up to the counter and asking for a pie and giving half (almost) of my wages over the counter for it

sassylass
20-Aug-06, 15:28
sorry to go off topic but Royster1911 your avatar is FUNNY [lol]

Dreadnought
20-Aug-06, 15:40
The service consisted of me (my wife) going up to the counter and asking for a pie and giving half (almost) of my wages over the counter for it

Might I suggest a change of job? £3.00 a week is a lousy wage. Regarding the cost of a pie, that sounds about right, maybe a little above average, but not extortionate. My local chippy sells pies for £1.30 and chips for £1.00 a portion. It's the chips that're the money maker. A portion of chips is probably equivalent to one and a half good sized tatties, how much is a hundredweight sack of spuds?

j4bberw0ck
20-Aug-06, 16:57
whether it`s a Jhonstones pie or not is not the case, nor whether it is warm,hot,cold eating in or out.

Actually it does make a difference. Still not sure from all you've said whether this was an "eat in" or "eat out" pie, but basically, if it got warmed up and/or you eat in, you're looking at VAT being charged. Cold pie, off the shelf, taken out = no VAT, as I understand it.

A £1.50 pie warmed up would be £1.28 for your pie plus 22p for that mannie with no perceptible sense of humour who completed the trashing of your pension scheme - The Rt Hon Gordon Brown, MP, Chancellor of the Exchequer.

But the free market awaits! You don't have to buy pies.......... or at least, not from wherever you paid £1.50 for it. :lol:

Royster1911
20-Aug-06, 19:55
Actually it does make a difference. Still not sure from all you've said whether this was an "eat in" or "eat out" pie, but basically, if it got warmed up and/or you eat in, you're looking at VAT being charged. Cold pie, off the shelf, taken out = no VAT, as I understand it.

A £1.50 pie warmed up would be £1.28 for your pie plus 22p for that mannie with no perceptible sense of humour who completed the trashing of your pension scheme - The Rt Hon Gordon Brown, MP, Chancellor of the Exchequer.

But the free market awaits! You don't have to buy pies.......... or at least, not from wherever you paid £1.50 for it. :lol:

What a great reply.... For the record, we walked out of the cafe without a purchase. the pie was being sold as hot or cold (same price) but i still think someone is extracting the urine

Royster1911
20-Aug-06, 20:17
Sassylass, that is not funny. that was my x-ray taken last week!!!!

Dreadnought
20-Aug-06, 20:40
Just got back from my chippy with pie and chips. Pie was £1.70. Where is this place you go to with the cheap pies?

Naefearjustbeer
21-Aug-06, 01:18
How much would a cup of tea cost? Quite a bit I would think compared to the price of a tea bag I would think. If you are buying a pie in a cafe you are paying the servers wages the cleaners wages the bakers wages the electricity and rates for the building profit for the owners and a bit for the tax man etc etc. If you still think it so expensive go and drown your sorrows in the pub and then think how much more you are giving to the taxman on your pint. Once again if you are still not happy make your own pie. Or stop eating them if they take up half a weeks wages.

Naefearjustbeer
21-Aug-06, 01:22
I do not object to people making a profit from their establishments, but whether it`s a Jhonstones pie or not is not the case, nor whether it is warm,hot,cold eating in or out. £1.50 is still over 100% mark up. For that price, I would expect a share in the company. It did not state any of the above mentioned on the menu so I would assume (wrongly possibly) that it was a cold scotch pie.

Do you know how much mark up most shops put on items? 100% is probally quite common. Jewellers aparently are the worst for mark up. Most shops can have 50% off sales and still not make a loss on the items they are selling. They may not make enough to pay all the overheads but it empties the shelves so they can take in a new batch to sell at full whack which will pay all the bills.