PDA

View Full Version : Pssss John, Want To Buy A Lion To Shoot & Kill

Anfield
09-Jan-11, 13:21
If the hunting fraternity in this country sicken you, have a look at what it is like in South Africa (http://sapredators.co.za/forsale.html)

This is a site set up by hunters "..To co-ordinate and promote the interests of the breeders and hunters of captive bred predators.."
To be fair to them though, they do have a social conscience and will "..implement a clear policy on Black Economy Empowerment to include persons from disadvantage communities as members of this Association and Industry.."

This "sport" is known as canned hunting and more information can be found on the Born Free (http://www.bornfree.org.uk/campaigns/further-activities/canned-hunting/) web site. Another organisation who are campaigning against this vile practice is Traffic

porshiepoo
09-Jan-11, 14:43
Canned hunting should be banned. Unfortunately it would seem that the South African supreme court of appeal doesn't agree with me and millions others and decided to rule in favour of the breeders and the hunters. This decision was made in November 2010. It's disgusting!

I will never understand how anyone could get any kind of thrill or enjoyment out of hunting such an amazing animal!

Anfield
09-Jan-11, 16:51
"..I will never understand how anyone could get any kind of thrill or enjoyment out of hunting such an amazing animal!.."

I see no difference between killing lions for "sport" and killing deer, foxes, birds and all the rest of the animal kingdom which these low lifes like to kill for kicks.

northener
09-Jan-11, 17:46
Canned hunting? No thanks.

billmoseley
09-Jan-11, 19:50
:lol:i,m not biting this tme anfield

John Little
09-Jan-11, 20:13
This thread is blatant Johnism. We Johns are getting fed up of negative connotations associated with our name and if you persist then we will consider reporting you to the World Anti-Defamation Front (WADF)

orkneycadian
09-Jan-11, 21:53
Read in a paper today that SNH themselves have been hunting mink in the north east of Scotland. Thousands of them I think.

Everyone seems to be at the persecution of innocent animals!

porshiepoo
10-Jan-11, 13:48
I see no difference between killing lions for "sport" and killing deer, foxes, birds and all the rest of the animal kingdom which these low lifes like to kill for kicks.

Completely agree. All live hunting should be banned IMO. It serves no purpose other than to quench the bloodlust of some sick individuals.
If animals need culling for any reason then there are more humane ways to go around it.

Breeding an animal purely to sell to the highest bidder with the biggest gun is mindless and sick!

orkneycadian
10-Jan-11, 15:37
What ways are more humane than shooting? Even SNH were shooting the mink with nothing more sophisticated than an airgun.

billmoseley
10-Jan-11, 18:28
not an air gun surely how terrible

northener
10-Jan-11, 21:45
The mink are captured in live traps and the shot at virtually point blank with a 12 ftlb airgun. So not as dodgy as it sounds.

squidge
10-Jan-11, 22:28
I dont hunt and have no desire to do so. Having said that i'm not averse to saying thanks very much for a brace of pheasant that some friends of mine drop off after they have been shooting. I cant understnad why someone would want to shoot a lion, they are so beautiful and majestic that it seems odd that someone would want to end that. the reality however is that people DO want to shoot. Given that this is the case is it not better that they shoot an animal bred for that purpose in a controlled environment which does not impact on the truly wild prides of lions roaming free?

DeHaviLand
10-Jan-11, 22:42
The mink are captured in live traps and the shot at virtually point blank with a 12 ftlb airgun. So not as dodgy as it sounds.

When I'm trapping mink on my local river, I just push the barrel of the air rifle through the mesh of the trap. They always bite it. Job done! And lets not forget, we wouldnt have a a mink problem if it wasn't for animal liberationists :(

Anfield
11-Jan-11, 12:19
When I'm trapping mink on my local river, I just push the barrel of the air rifle through the mesh of the trap. They always bite it. Job done! And lets not forget, we wouldnt have a a mink problem if it wasn't for animal liberationists :(

Wrong again DeHaviland.
Mink were escaping from fur farms almost as soon as they were imported in the late 1920's, and were a common site on British waterways by the 1950's, long before before any animal rights group was formed. In addition no Animal rights group in the UK have ever released mink from cages as they are well aware of the damage that mink can do to the environment.
I do however personally know of one person that did release several hundred mink into the Donegal countryside. He was a "fur farmer" amd because of the decline in the sales of furs decided to release the animals, spray paint a few slogans around the walls and claim on his insurance.
I am sure that he is not the only "fur farmer" who has resorted to such methods

I have to question whether it should be left to people who like to shoot animals for sport to control mink as I am sure that a lot of mistakes have been made and otters have been shot instead
We must also remember that if it was not for Otterhound hunting packs the native otter population would not have declined so rapidly in the UK, thus forcing the government to introduce a ban on the hunting of otters in the late 1970's.

bekisman
11-Jan-11, 12:37
A spokesman for the Animal Liberation Front has told the BBC that members of the organisation were responsible for the release of up to 6,000 mink from a fur farm in Hampshire. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/148120.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/148120.stm)

DeHaviLand
11-Jan-11, 13:36
Wrong again DeHaviland.
Mink were escaping from fur farms almost as soon as they were imported in the late 1920's, and were a common site on British waterways by the 1950's, long before before any animal rights group was formed. In addition no Animal rights group in the UK have ever released mink from cages as they are well aware of the damage that mink can do to the environment.
I do however personally know of one person that did release several hundred mink into the Donegal countryside. He was a "fur farmer" amd because of the decline in the sales of furs decided to release the animals, spray paint a few slogans around the walls and claim on his insurance.

I have to question whether it should be left to people who like to shoot animals for sport to control mink as I am sure that a lot of mistakes have been made and otters have been shot instead
We must also remember that if it was not for Otterhound hunting packs the native otter population would not have declined so rapidly in the UK, thus forcing the government to introduce a ban on the hunting of otters in the late 1970's.

Thanks to Bekisman for the link, it saved me the bother. So who's wrong now Anfield, and who is guilty of spreading disinformation? And can you supply proof that the fur farmers in Donegal released their own animals? Or indeed can you supply proof that any fur farmer has done the same, as you allege?

It is clear that you have an agenda, and like most of your ilk, you will not allow the truth to get in the way of that. Perhaps it would suit your cause better to furnish the truth rather than just spouting lie after lie.

A few mink escaping from fur farms is never going to be a problem. Thousands released by misguided and ill-informed do-gooders is always going to be a problem.

northener
11-Jan-11, 13:43
............... and were a common site on British waterways by the 1950's,

No they weren't Anfield. The first sightings of feral mink breeding were in the 1950's - they weren't that common back then.

.......In addition no Animal rights group in the UK have ever released mink from cages...

yes they have, Anfield.

It would appear the only people who are pointing the finger at the fur farmer are the extremist animal 'liberators', everyone else appears to be of the opinion that the culprits are the usual suspects......why's that then?

You can question all you want, Anfield. But those who are actually out in the field dealing with the mink problem can spot the difference between a mink and an otter....but, hey, throw mud and hope some will stick, eh?;)

The otters decline had little do do with hunting and a lot to do with pollution. The otterhound ban was brought in to assist their recovery, granted. But make no mistake, pollution and loss of habitat/food decimated otter levels. Nothing else.