PDA

View Full Version : Bringing up girls

squidge
09-Jan-11, 11:22
Ok folks, how do you bring up good girls? How do you keep them safe, how do you make them confident, independent,individuals, how do you encourage them to respect themselves and how do you deal with their bossiness lol.

lindsaymcc
09-Jan-11, 11:25
I have no idea, and I have 2 of them.

Will watch with interest!

wickscorrie
09-Jan-11, 11:47
cross your fingers and hope, i have two, i usually try to tell it to them straight so they have my trust. whether this works or not i'll tell you in about 10 years lol

wish you got a course in bringing them up and a crystal ball as well

sids
09-Jan-11, 11:49
Shout "Not looking like that you're not!" at them regularly.

Mind you, it doesn't work.

Walter Ego
09-Jan-11, 12:19
Keep them in a cellar.

Corrie 3
09-Jan-11, 13:09
Talk to them regularly and treat them like you would an Adult....worked for me and I have a really good pair of Daughters aged 39 and 43.

C3....:D

ShelleyCowie
09-Jan-11, 13:23
at one point i was glad i had boys! Including my 2 step kids who are both boys....BUT...doesnt seem to be as plain sailing as i thought! [disgust]

Still glad i dont have girls though! :lol: Being one myself....i know what we are like!

GOOD LUCK! [lol]

shazzap
09-Jan-11, 13:26
Nurture.
Nature.
Input from parents.
Plus a lot of luck.

I think all the above have an influence on the upbringing of any child, male or female.
If you happen to have dominant genes of one sort mixed with a bad environment and the wrong company, you will need the latter. You can only instill your good values the rest is up to them.

The Music Monster
09-Jan-11, 13:26
Being one of five girls, and only one brother, I think the secret to our becoming confident, established individuals was that our parents encouraged us to follow our dreams, but were always there to put our feet back on the ground when necessary!! And if anything ever went wrong, they were there to comfort us and set us back on track.

In fact, hang on a minute, they still do that!!!

Dadie
09-Jan-11, 13:59
Not got a clue!
And I have 2 girls, both very different temperments with (already) very different interests, but I think rules and talking helps.
I also have a little boy and all will be treated the same.
Interests nurtured, bad behaviour punished...and good rewarded...and comunication.
Hate to think about the teenage years ahead though!
You can only do your best...they will make their own choices later on and you hope what you did early on will influence their choices they make.

billmoseley
09-Jan-11, 14:10
light the blue touch paper and stand well back

squidge
09-Jan-11, 16:59
Well I have lovely grown up boys who I am very proud of and who have turned into lovely young men so I must have done something right but I am already learning that my 18 month old daughter is a completely different animal entirely.

I'm taking notes here folks.

Vistravi
09-Jan-11, 17:52
From my experience in working with children, girls can be more prone to doing things naughty out of spite or not giving up toys out of spite. Also girls can have harder challenging behaviour to handle. Boys are the same but with girls as it is with women can be very spiteful towards each other.

But with unconditional love, talking, listening and most importantly explaining why they should be careful and not do certain things, with all children brings about a responsible individual and a thriving child who knows the risks and how to handle them. Children who know they are loved no matter what, know they will always be listened to, feel comfortable talking to you about anything, and have a responsible adult in their lives who tells them why something is not safe rather than telling them they can not do something, will thrive.

Just love your lassie, talk and listen to her and always tell her why something is dangerous and make her aware of dangerous situations as she turns into a teen. If you can get her lessons or teach her how to handle herself if she needed to. It's a dangerous place out there for someone walking on there own male or female.

I have a little boy who is 8 months old but i have seen enough of challenging behaviour and how to turn it to postive behaviour to know how to tackle anything that comes up as he gets older. I have certainly taught quite a few children that negative behaviour means they miss out.

squidge
09-Jan-11, 18:48
Ok that's the child rearing sorted out. Now how do I get her to keep clips and bobbles in her hair????

Dadie
09-Jan-11, 18:56
Dont know the answer to that one either...
I have threatened the staple gun or superglue on occassion for that as well!
The amount of bobbles and clips we have lost must add up to a small fortune by now.
The little elastic band type (got the last lot of 1000 or more from the factory shop for £1) stay in well and if you wish just put a bobble over them.
Little girls hair is slippy and fine and hair accessories just dont stay in!
And distract her whenever the hands go up to the bobbles to do something else so she doesnt play with them..
Now how to get the hair done without hitting Lauren on the head with the brush for playing up (I use detangling spray and cbeebies as bribes)...but she wont stay still!

The Music Monster
09-Jan-11, 19:12
Ok that's the child rearing sorted out. Now how do I get her to keep clips and bobbles in her hair????

It might just be easier to cut it short :D !

lindsaymcc
09-Jan-11, 19:44
Oh dont get me started on hair!! Eldest (6yrs old) loves having her hair brushed, put up etc. Younger one (5yrs old) detests me even going near her with a hair brush. Unfortunately, she also has very thick wavy hair, so it needs doing at least twice a day - she would allow herself to look like a scarecrow 24/7 if she had her way!

purplelady
10-Jan-11, 00:15
I have two grown up well adjusted girls , just teach them what is rite and wrong be there for them advice love them support all you can do , they will find their own paths in life and most will grow up into lovely young womaen x