PDA

View Full Version : The recession is over by the one reliable measure I have found.

ducati
09-Jan-11, 10:25
I know, it was supposed to be over a year ago, but that is not the perception people have had.

I have been browsing ebay motors recently looking for my next project. I've found the price for rubbish is very high, the price for anything vaguely decent is astronomical (cars and motorbikes). The one true measure, the price for American muscle cars (that do 8-10 MPG) -truly, truly, enormous. :eek:

steeko
09-Jan-11, 16:02
Yep I agree, though I can never get such a good price for my rubbish.

sandyr1
09-Jan-11, 16:12
I know, it was supposed to be over a year ago, but that is not the perception people have had.

I have been browsing ebay motors recently looking for my next project. I've found the price for rubbish is very high, the price for anything vaguely decent is astronomical (cars and motorbikes). The one true measure, the price for American muscle cars (that do 8-10 MPG) -truly, truly, enormous. :eek:

A bit of a stretch Mr. D....8-10mpg...
I have a 3.8 litre V6...light turbo...25-30 mpg....
And.. I may add..have had a 6.6 litre V8...approx 22 mpg...Its all to do with the gearing....at 60mph....1700rpm!
You can take 1600cc and take it down to 10mpg if you drive it hard enough....and our petrol is $1-08 per litre or approx 70p at present/ just went up. FYI

ducati
09-Jan-11, 16:49
A bit of a stretch Mr. D....8-10mpg...
I have a 3.8 litre V6...light turbo...25-30 mpg....
And.. I may add..have had a 6.6 litre V8...approx 22 mpg...Its all to do with the gearing....at 60mph....1700rpm!
You can take 1600cc and take it down to 10mpg if you drive it hard enough....and our petrol is $1-08 per litre or approx 70p at present/ just went up. FYI

1971 Plymouth Barracuda Hemi. If you think it would do 10MPH you are an incurable optimist. Price on EBAY £39,995:lol:

sandyr1
09-Jan-11, 17:00
1971 Plymouth Barracuda Hemi. If you think it would do 10MPH you are an incurable optimist. Price on EBAY £39,995:lol:

Ok...I had a 1970 Dodge Challenger RT....360 cubic inch. 3 speed manual..can you imagine/ drum brakes...discs came in...in 1971!
At least 20+ miles to the gallon....I have a friend who has a Plymouth Road Runner.... methinks it is a 427 or 440 cu in hemi!!!!....

There is a huge misconception about the US cars. I was the same when I lived in the UK..I am not tring to put you down...but....it is just not true!

The only vehicles that are hard on gas are the large SUV's...Hummer/ Dodge Durango...400+ cu in....4 wheel drive with the huuuuuge tires...and they get around 12 or so! I did have a Pontiac Trans Am....work car...6.6 litre...oh here they call it 6.6 liter! And I got well over 20/25 mpg....

A car that is quite hard on gas(petrol) is the 335 BMW.... around the 20's. It has the 3 litre twin turbo!.....Anyway....from a person who was a car nut and perhaps still is...

ducati
09-Jan-11, 17:09
Ok...I had a 1970 Dodge Challenger RT....360 cubic inch. 3 speed manual..can you imagine/ drum brakes...discs came in...in 1971!
At least 20+ miles to the gallon....I have a friend who has a Plymouth Road Runner.... methinks it is a 427 or 440 cu in hemi!!!!....

There is a huge misconception about the US cars. I was the same when I lived in the UK..I am not tring to put you down...but....it is just not true!

The only vehicles that are hard on gas are the large SUV's...Hummer/ Dodge Durango...400+ cu in....4 wheel drive with the huuuuuge tires...and they get around 12 or so! I did have a Pontiac Trans Am....work car...6.6 litre...oh here they call it 6.6 liter! And I got well over 20/25 mpg....

A car that is quite hard on gas(petrol) is the 335 BMW.... around the 20's. It has the 3 litre twin turbo!.....Anyway....from a person who was a car nut and perhaps still is...

mmmm I guess it depends how you drive. European cars would be expected to be more economical, just because fuel is more expensive. My Daimler Sovereign 4.2 never, ever returned better than 18MPH. Anyway, the point is cars that everyone knows are 'quite heavy' on juice are fetching very high prices in the UK.

Anfield
09-Jan-11, 17:15
"...and our petrol is $1-08 per litre or approx 70p at present/ just went up.." FYI

That has really cheered me up

northener
09-Jan-11, 17:40
.............. My Daimler Sovereign 4.2 never, ever returned better than 18MPH.......

Try taking up into 2nd gear, D......;):cool:

ducati
09-Jan-11, 22:35
Try taking up into 2nd gear, D......;):cool:

Ooh Auto :eek:

sandyr1
10-Jan-11, 03:22
Today!
Drove to Cottage and back...in a 2 year old Jeep Liberty. 3.7 litre V6....4X4 used two thirds of the time and sometimes at low speed. Tires are 255....60....18's ...perhap 'muck rated'. Good big tread. And of course we have .....snow and ice.
Returned 22 mpg..... or 38 km per g.
Yes the old Cudas, Challengers, Chargers, Mustangs and Camaros etc etc are priced quite high. They are normally done up as new, BUT they are the asking prices....yes the asking prices. Sometimes not realistic.
The Cuda and Challenger Hemis were incredible cars. I came to Canada in 71 and they were....wowee.. Burn rubber in every gear.
OK... Mpg.....You are very hilly in the North.....Our roads are very long, wide and really no hills until you come to BC. So with the Torque from the big V6...V8's you can run at 80 mph at 2000 rpm and even if you stick you foot down...pedal to the metal, it only shifts one gear down and therefor you are at 100 mph at 2800 and then she goes into 5th and the revs drop to 2400 and then in overdrive to around 2200. Most cars are automatic...many don't have a manual shift....some of the new ones have a clutchless manual..selectronic etc. I have 5 speeds and overdrive....thus the good mpg.
It took me a while to understand how the system works.
UK cars good in Europe.....American cars good in America....Canada.

Bazeye
10-Jan-11, 03:39
Thank God i've never learned to drive.

sandyr1
10-Jan-11, 03:58
Thank God i've never learned to drive.

Really............

Auto freaks or motor heads.....we are! Check Pikes Peak and Nurninburgring on Youtube.....

Forgot to name ...Gearheads and Auto Heads! Just great people!

canadagirl
10-Jan-11, 05:30
Sandy, I think the best motor event is the peking to paris www.pekingparis.com (http://www.pekingparis.com) a couple from our wee village was in it this time round!

sandyr1
10-Jan-11, 17:37
Great site. A wee bitty chilly in the open tourer with the snow and wind!

oldmarine
10-Jan-11, 21:36

For those who are looking for jobs and have not found them the recession is not over.

ducati
12-Jan-11, 23:25
Honestly, I'm losing it with this search, every old piece of junk has suddenly turned into a 'rare classic'. CB750 F2, it was a pile of poo in 1977 and 30 odd years has done it no good at all!

Whats more people are actually importing piles of junk from the states for restoration. The world has gone mad.

sandyr1
12-Jan-11, 23:28
Honestly, I'm losing it with this search, every old piece of junk has suddenly turned into a 'rare classic'. CB750 F2, it was a pile of poo in 1977 and 30 odd years has done it no good at all!

Whats more people are actually importing piles of junk from the states for restoration. The world has gone mad.

What are you lookin' for??

ducati
13-Jan-11, 00:28
What are you lookin' for??

Anything with a reasonable 4 cylinder. I want to build some kind of Mad Max type machine. So I don't want to pay over £1000 for a bike with a cream crackered engine :roll:

ducati
13-Jan-11, 09:02
CX 500 described as "iconic 80s classic". Where's the shoot yourself in the head smiley doubry? :eek::lol:

sandyr1
13-Jan-11, 16:22
The World is a strange/ interesting place......
In the late 40's my Father bought an Indian and had it shipped to Caithness......
And now I have a friend here who has an 'original Norton Manx circa 1949.....He still races it in the Vintage class.
Apparently it was one of the original racers at the Isle of Man and could do 150mph!
He is presently having the crank re-done as the bearing is 'out if round'
The United States is the 'Land of opportunity' and there is a saying that 'The Entrepenurial Spirit is alive and well'! In other words ...if you can rip someone off just go and do it!
Another friend buys and sells classic cars and he says the market is dead. Or Deed! Autos with firm prices on them are just going back to owners who are waiting for the next Gold Rush......maybe 10 years...maybe never!

ducati
13-Jan-11, 16:34
The World is a strange/ interesting place......
In the late 40's my Father bought an Indian and had it shipped to Caithness......
And now I have a friend here who has an 'original Norton Manx circa 1949.....He still races it in the Vintage class.
Apparently it was one of the original racers at the Isle of Man and could do 150mph!
He is presently having the crank re-done as the bearing is 'out if round'
The United States is the 'Land of opportunity' and there is a saying that 'The Entrepenurial Spirit is alive and well'! In other words ...if you can rip someone off just go and do it!
Another friend buys and sells classic cars and he says the market is dead. Or Deed! Autos with firm prices on them are just going back to owners who are waiting for the next Gold Rush......maybe 10 years...maybe never!

I blame the Discovery Channel for the daft prices people want for wrecks. Wrecks to Riches USA, Cafe Racer etc. People think they can buy a shed and turn it into work of art worth a fortune. You can-with the right skills and a million £ worth of equipment :cool:

sandyr1
13-Jan-11, 16:55
I blame the Discovery Channel for the daft prices people want for wrecks. Wrecks to Riches USA, Cafe Racer etc. People think they can buy a shed and turn it into work of art worth a fortune. You can-with the right skills and a million £ worth of equipment :cool:

You are right......I don't know if you have 'The Antiques Road Show' in the UK? It is staged and is just another piece of illusion.
There are some good dealers in North America and if have another friend who has approx 40 old Harleys and Indians.If you wish I could speak wth him and get
contacts......

ducati
13-Jan-11, 17:24
You are right......I don't know if you have 'The Antiques Road Show' in the UK? It is staged and is just another piece of illusion.
There are some good dealers in North America and if have another friend who has approx 40 old Harleys and Indians.If you wish I could speak wth him and get
contacts......

Thank's Sandy, I have respect for 'mercin cycles but they are not my 'thing'. Antiques roadshow, yes we have the UK version.

sandyr1
14-Jan-11, 16:04
Thank's Sandy, I have respect for 'mercin cycles but they are not my 'thing'. Antiques roadshow, yes we have the UK version.

Hi, Am not sure what you meant by Mercin......
This friend has 2 Kawasaki HIR bikes...and thinking of selling one....Just for your info.
We also talked about 'exotic sales' and he said most were in the United States....He called Canadians a bunch of losers as far as exotic vehicles/ bikes and cars/ are concerned.
You could check the classified section of ...thestar.com. \Its the Toronto Star Newspaper
wheels.ca.....same as
autotrader.ca

I have another friend who has 40 + Indians and Harleys, but he is out of Town just now......for now...........s

ducati
15-Jan-11, 09:40
Hi, Am not sure what you meant by Mercin......
This friend has 2 Kawasaki HIR bikes...and thinking of selling one....Just for your info.
We also talked about 'exotic sales' and he said most were in the United States....He called Canadians a bunch of losers as far as exotic vehicles/ bikes and cars/ are concerned.
You could check the classified section of ...thestar.com. \Its the Toronto Star Newspaper
wheels.ca.....same as
autotrader.ca

I have another friend who has 40 + Indians and Harleys, but he is out of Town just now......for now...........s

Er..I'm in Caithness :eek:

A...mercin a term of endearment.