PDA

View Full Version : New Electric Motorcars

ducati
08-Jan-11, 17:50
Just a few thoughts. I value new technology that will reduce emissions but and it is a big but. I do not want to be ripped off and here is my thinking.

First of all, no earthly use unless you live in a conurbation as even the new 100 mile range wouldn’t get you, for instance, Wick to Inverness.

There is a subsidy of £5000 claimed by the purchaser against the retail price of a new qualifying vehicle.

These cars, after the subsidy, still cost £7,000 - £10,000 more than the equivalent petrol car

i.e. a new small family hatchback will cost you (after the 5k off) approx £22,000.

Now the mfger may argue that the cost of development needs to be recouped. My answer to that is it always does. It costs many millions of £ to develop a new model. The technology is nothing new either (still waiting for Hydrogen Fuel cells) this is basically the technology of a milk float. An electric motor and a bunch of massive batteries.

Now I'm not an engineer, but I do know what goes into a modern complex petrol or diesel engine: a crankshaft, 2 or more camshafts, 4 or more pistons and conrods, a couple of balance shafts, 2 massive castings that have a lot of complex machining plus hundreds of small mechanical and electronic components

Compare that to an electric motor; 1 shaft, a wire winding and a case with a couple of bearings-that’s it apart from a bunch of electronics much less complex than the petrol engine.

So, are we being ripped off? ;)

EDDIE
08-Jan-11, 18:09
If you look at any modern petrol or diesel cars that amount of electrics in them you could say its an electric car with an engine in it?
But electric car or plant equipment is far more reliable than any petrol or diesel equipment and it it s the future the only downside with an electric car is the battery 5 years of use and the battery will need replaced and it will cost a fortune say £2000 roundabout that and if you was unlucky to get a faulty electric motor or the computer went faulty i bet that would be expensive.
I think electric equipment in general is very reliable and nothing to be scared of but can be expensive to maintain if your unlucky thats the downside.

oldmarine
08-Jan-11, 18:59
Just a few thoughts. I value new technology that will reduce emissions but and it is a big but. I do not want to be ripped off and here is my thinking.

First of all, no earthly use unless you live in a conurbation as even the new 100 mile range wouldn’t get you, for instance, Wick to Inverness.

There is a subsidy of £5000 claimed by the purchaser against the retail price of a new qualifying vehicle.

These cars, after the subsidy, still cost £7,000 - £10,000 more than the equivalent petrol car

i.e. a new small family hatchback will cost you (after the 5k off) approx £22,000.

Now the mfger may argue that the cost of development needs to be recouped. My answer to that is it always does. It costs many millions of £ to develop a new model. The technology is nothing new either (still waiting for Hydrogen Fuel cells) this is basically the technology of a milk float. An electric motor and a bunch of massive batteries.

Now I'm not an engineer, but I do know what goes into a modern complex petrol or diesel engine: a crankshaft, 2 or more camshafts, 4 or more pistons and conrods, a couple of balance shafts, 2 massive castings that have a lot of complex machining plus hundreds of small mechanical and electronic components

Compare that to an electric motor; 1 shaft, a wire winding and a case with a couple of bearings-that’s it apart from a bunch of electronics much less complex than the petrol engine.

So, are we being ripped off? ;)

Electric cars require recharging. If you don't maintain the charge, you can be in trouble. Depends on how much driving you do away from home.