PDA

View Full Version : This made me sick

Commore
08-Jan-11, 16:47
"South Korea has been heavily criticised for burying up to one million pigs alive as it grapples with a foot and mouth disease outbreak".

I have heard of some atrocities in my lifetime, but this one takes the biscuit,
those poor animals,
social, intelligent and mostly harmless beasts buried alive for goodness sake,
the world should ban all imports from Korea, everything, boycott them.
Prosecute them.

Source;
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/South-Korea-One-Million-Pigs-Buried-Alive-In-Foot-And-Mouth-Outbreak-Mass-Criticism/Article/201101115887024?lpos=World_News_First_World_News_A rticle_Teaser_Region_2&lid=ARTICLE_15887024_South_Korea%3A_One_Million_Pi gs_Buried_Alive_In_Foot_And_Mouth_Outbreak%2C_Mass _Criticism

annemarie482
08-Jan-11, 16:57
you'd think they'd kill them first.

billmoseley
08-Jan-11, 17:04
my guess it's cheaper to just do this that kill them first. foot and mouth is a horrid thing as i remember so well from my days farming.

Commore
08-Jan-11, 18:23
Admittedly, I have never had experience of the disease, there was none of it on the island during the 2000 epidemic, in Scotland
but cheaper or not, this in my book is just downright cruelty.
I mean they are not even sure that all these pigs even were infected with it,

oldmarine
08-Jan-11, 19:05
Life is cheap over there. That's why it's allowed to happen.

.D.
08-Jan-11, 19:46
Yes this is an extremely cruel thing to do, horrible, sick & unhumane.

However nobody cares when an animal is killed for our own consumption...

Anyway, back to the topic in hand. I don't know much about the science of this but wouldn't burying them alive infect the land in some way? :confused

The humane thing to do would be to put the animal to sleep, then destroying that animal before disease spread. However Korea is as oldmarine says a cheap nation. & remember the people of Korea are pretty ruthless. They've fought hard in war throughout it's history.

essexbird
08-Jan-11, 19:49
Too right Commore - pigs are beautiful, kind, intelligent animals (so why do we - not myself - eat such species??)

I hope the people involved in this dispicable and total inhumane act die a most horrible and painfull and frightning death - exactly what they have inflicted on these animals - there is just no need.

The world is making me sick - How can this kind of cruelty be allowed to happen??

essexbird
08-Jan-11, 19:52
Not speaking for myself - but for meat eaters - arnt we lead to belived that the animalsfor human consumption are killed quickly and humanely? not buried alive and left to suffer the most horrific death.

annemarie482
08-Jan-11, 20:00
vegetarian or not has nothing to do with it.
these pigs will not be dug up to be eaten!
they are being "disposed of" to prevent the spread of disease.
the issue however, is that they have not been killed before burial.
lazy? cost effective? or for speed? i dont know.
either way disgusting.

.D.
08-Jan-11, 20:08
arnt we lead to belived that the animalsfor human consumption are killed quickly and humanely?

Is there such a term as "killing quickly & humanely"? Killing is exactly what it says on the tin. Killing! No if's or buts.

There's no questioning the fact here though, what they're doing is nothing short of horrific

onecalledk
08-Jan-11, 20:09
Anyway, back to the topic in hand. I don't know much about the science of this but wouldn't burying them alive infect the land in some way? :confused

The humane thing to do would be to put the animal to sleep, then destroying that animal before disease spread. However Korea is as oldmarine says a cheap nation. & remember the people of Korea are pretty ruthless. They've fought hard in war throughout it's history.

I thought that was the reason for the burning of cow carcasses when foot and mouth hit this country to stop the spread of the disease from continuing. You cannot surely just make a hole in the ground, pop some "diseased" animals in and walk away with nothing further happening ??????!!!!

Is South Korea not the place that they skin dogs alive ?

This I would have thought is just asking for something even more sinister to start brewing, it cannot not affect the land that the animals are buried in either.....

Telling the Koreans they are bad for doing this is hardly going to stop them, their trade in fur and the fact that some products made from fur are actually made from dog and cat fur but tagged as other animals says that telling them they are not allowed to do it doesnt stop them doing it ........

K

bekisman
08-Jan-11, 20:10
Life is cheap over there. That's why it's allowed to happen.

Not connected oldmarine, but just on the BBC news:A US congresswoman has been rushed to hospital after after she and up to 12 people were shot at a public event in Arizona.
Gabrielle Giffords, a Democratic member of the US House of Representatives, was shot in the head at close range. Her condition is unknown.
The gunman was arrested after the shooting at the event at a supermarket in Tucson city attended by hundreds.
As you're in Tucson, hear anything?

essexbird
08-Jan-11, 20:11
Yes - you are quite right - the veggie issue has nothing to do with it - its the total lack of any respect for any other form of life thats the issue.

Any animal be it pigs/cows/sheeps deserve to be treated with kindness and respect - regardless of its fate.

This is a total inexcuseable act of cruelty.

.D.
08-Jan-11, 20:25
I thought that was the reason for the burning of cow carcasses when foot and mouth hit this country to stop the spread of the disease from continuing. You cannot surely just make a hole in the ground, pop some "diseased" animals in and walk away with nothing further happening ??????!!!!

This is what I thought. I cannot understand the reasoning behind the pigs being buried alive.

canadagirl
08-Jan-11, 20:29
Pigs are usually killed with a stun gun which is a high pressure bolt, and then the throat cut. It is very humane and wouldn't have cost them anything, but they really should be burnt. Maybe the lining in the pit is supposed to contain disease?

Dog-eared
08-Jan-11, 20:50
They torture dogs before killing and eating them as they reckon it makes the dogmeat more tender. Burying a load of pigs alive would mean nothing to them.

pumkin
08-Jan-11, 23:04
I felt sick and so angry when i heard this. So sad that people can be so heartless towards animals. They shouldnt get away with it. Dig a hole and throw them in. see how they like it.

Commore
09-Jan-11, 12:31
This is what I thought. I cannot understand the reasoning behind the pigs being buried alive.
The disease would lie dormant in the ground, much as ecoli does.

Commore
09-Jan-11, 12:40
I felt sick to my stomach when I read this,
as a pig breeder myself (or other half is) I could not imagine the terror / horror felt by the pigs themselves, they are in my experience such gentle animals.

In saying that, I do eat meat and I do eat our own pork but our animals lead a reasonably happy existence before slaughter and slaughter is humane,
We transport our animals to the abattoir, so that less trauma is experienced by the pig.

I cannot quite comprehend the mindset of a nation whereby, they think nothing of the animals that roam their land.

As for the dogs comment, I was shocked by this too.

.D.
09-Jan-11, 12:42
The disease would lie dormant in the ground, much as ecoli does.

So the disease would lie in the ground? Wouldn't the disease still spread? Or would it be contained within the pit?

They wouldn't be able to use the ground in the future?

One less plot for Mr. T(rump)

Commore
09-Jan-11, 12:46
So the disease would lie in the ground? Wouldn't the disease still spread? Or would it be contained within the pit?

They wouldn't be able to use the ground in the future?

One less plot for Mr. T(rump)

It would lie dormant until disturbed, which could be from man's interference or natural event such as a flood.
Just as ecoli does, it lies dormant in the soil.

Anfield
09-Jan-11, 12:57
I cannot quite comprehend the mindset of a nation whereby, they think nothing of the animals that roam their land.

As for the dogs comment, I was shocked by this too.

Nothing shocks me anymore as regards to the way that mankind treats, not only animals but also fellow mankind.
In a perverse way maybe the sows were lucky in that their death would occur, however horrific, relatively quickly. Surely that would be a better option than spending the rest of their lives confined in a sow crate for the rest of their lives turning out litter after litter

badger
09-Jan-11, 13:02
Completely agree that this is unecessary cruelty but I'm not sure we are in any position to criticise when you think how many battery chickens/turkeys/ducks are reared and sold in this country, how much EU pork is sold in various forms when we know the appalling conditions many pigs have to endure in Europe (try buying sausages that are exclusively British pork - not easy), and now we are seriously considering a huge battery farm for cows. There are countless examples of cruelty to animals in this country. When we put our own house in order maybe we can start talking about what other countries do.

welsh-witch
09-Jan-11, 13:38
its just sickening and evil

Anfield
09-Jan-11, 13:47
"..and now we are seriously considering a huge battery farm for cows.."

Is this is the development you are referring to:
Nocton Dairy (http://www.farmersguardian.com/home/livestock/wspa-continues-campaign-against-nocton-super-dairy/35248.article)

Even established farmers of large dairy herds are against the construction of this massive factory farm
(http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/158/433/475/)

onecalledk
09-Jan-11, 15:16
Just insane in the extreme to have that many cows and in those conditions, these already exist in the US. It seems that what the US does the UK follows suit. We are going to end up creating something horrible if this continues. We cannot continually mess with nature at this rate and not create something horrible.

Why do we need this many cows in the one place?

Surely the latest batch of weather has proved beyond doubt that we as a country need to seriously reconsider how we transport and make our food ? Why make everything in the one central location and then transport it all round the country when it can be locally produced ? The recent snow highlighted the shortage of bread as one example, MOST of the bread consumed in scotland is made in glasgow and then transported around the country. So fast forward to next winter, people cut off, roads closed and back to food shortages.

Locally produced is fresher and in severe weather hardly affected by the conditions. As a nation we need to stop looking at the fastest most "convenient" way to make things and take other things into consideration.

Was I the only person who noticed in tesco recently that the milk being sold was seriously near its sell by date ? this was due to the supplies not being brought up due the cold weather. I heard one customer complain and the tesco person went through the back and brought out milk with a completly different sell by date. The stuff that was out for sale was there until someone complained, if not it would have gone to waste wouldnt it. How many other products were the same over the bad weather?

It all works nicely until mother nature steps in and lorries cant get along roads and trains dont run ........

K

billmoseley
09-Jan-11, 16:38
the disease will not survive once buried all buriel sites are monitored for seepage and breather pipe are put in to release gases. there should be no danger from these sites.

.D.
09-Jan-11, 17:20
the disease will not survive once buried all buriel sites are monitored for seepage and breather pipe are put in to release gases. there should be no danger from these sites.

Ok. So the reason they've done what they've done is to save money. Pure & simple.

Here's a thought. If the same crisis happened in the UK today, with our current financial troubles, would David Cameron do the same thing?

Commore
09-Jan-11, 17:43
Completely agree that this is unecessary cruelty but I'm not sure we are in any position to criticise when you think how many battery chickens/turkeys/ducks are reared and sold in this country, how much EU pork is sold in various forms when we know the appalling conditions many pigs have to endure in Europe (try buying sausages that are exclusively British pork - not easy), and now we are seriously considering a huge battery farm for cows. There are countless examples of cruelty to animals in this country. When we put our own house in order maybe we can start talking about what other countries do.

You make a lot of good and valid points here, and of course you are spot on with your comments.
There is no easy answer and the way the industry is going, the small tradional farmer is being pushed out to make way for these bigger / but not better ways of farming.
For what it is worth, I agree with you wholeheartedly, it was just that that story horrified me to the core.

Commore
09-Jan-11, 17:46
Just insane in the extreme to have that many cows and in those conditions, these already exist in the US. It seems that what the US does the UK follows suit. We are going to end up creating something horrible if this continues. We cannot continually mess with nature at this rate and not create something horrible.

Why do we need this many cows in the one place?

Surely the latest batch of weather has proved beyond doubt that we as a country need to seriously reconsider how we transport and make our food ? Why make everything in the one central location and then transport it all round the country when it can be locally produced ? The recent snow highlighted the shortage of bread as one example, MOST of the bread consumed in scotland is made in glasgow and then transported around the country. So fast forward to next winter, people cut off, roads closed and back to food shortages.

Locally produced is fresher and in severe weather hardly affected by the conditions. As a nation we need to stop looking at the fastest most "convenient" way to make things and take other things into consideration.

Was I the only person who noticed in tesco recently that the milk being sold was seriously near its sell by date ? this was due to the supplies not being brought up due the cold weather. I heard one customer complain and the tesco person went through the back and brought out milk with a completly different sell by date. The stuff that was out for sale was there until someone complained, if not it would have gone to waste wouldnt it. How many other products were the same over the bad weather?

It all works nicely until mother nature steps in and lorries cant get along roads and trains dont run ........

K

Very well written and it needed to be said.

Commore
09-Jan-11, 17:47

That is what they said about Ecoli,
and other diseases fatal to man. :)

Commore
09-Jan-11, 17:49
Ok. So the reason they've done what they've done is to save money. Pure & simple.

Here's a thought. If the same crisis happened in the UK today, with our current financial troubles, would David Cameron do the same thing?

I very much doubt it, British farmers / crofters would be in revolt.
it might just see the end of DC.

billmoseley
09-Jan-11, 18:19
my earlier quote was about animals buried in this country after the out break of foot and mouth and was thought to produce less pollution than burning. in know way do i condone burying animals alive if that what some people thought. when it breaks out agin in this country then i'm sure they would be humanely killed then buried unless they really do the sensible thing and vacinate. But thats a whole new ball game

bekisman
09-Jan-11, 18:37
Not sure about Foot & Mouth, but Anthrax has a long life undisturbed in the ground:

Bacillus anthracis bacteria spores are soil-borne, and, because of their long lifetime, they are still present globally and at animal burial sites of anthrax-killed animals for many decades; spores have been known to have reinfected animals over 70 years after burial sites of anthrax-infected animals were disturbed.

"Anthrax" by Jeanne Guillemin, University of California Press, 2001 ISBN 0-520-22917-7 p. 3

Anfield
09-Jan-11, 19:31
Not sure about Foot & Mouth, but Anthrax has a long life undisturbed in the ground:

Bacillus anthracis bacteria spores are soil-borne, and, because of their long lifetime, they are still present globally and at animal burial sites of anthrax-killed animals for many decades; spores have been known to have reinfected animals over 70 years after burial sites of anthrax-infected animals were disturbed. "Anthrax" by Jeanne Guillemin, University of California Press, 2001 ISBN 0-520-22917-7 p. 3

We have had experience of Anthrax related sheep deaths in Scotland.
During WW2 (1942) the island of Gruinard was infected in a feasibilty study to see if
we would be vunerable if the Germans launched a biological warhead against us, and whether we could launch the same type of device against them.
Sheep died within days of being exposed to the spores released by the bombs and the Island was quarantined.
In 1986, following a campaign by an environmental group, it was decided to clean up the island and this was completed in 2000 48 years after it was first infected.
As at 2007 there had been no further deaths from Anthrax on the islands residental sheep population

Commore
09-Jan-11, 19:43
We have had experience of Anthrax related sheep deaths in Scotland.
During WW2 (1942) the island of Gruinard was infected in a feasibilty study to see if
we would be vunerable if the Germans launched a biological warhead against us, and whether we could launch the same type of device against them.
Sheep died within days of being exposed to the spores released by the bombs and the Island was quarantined.
In 1986, following a campaign by an environmental group, it was decided to clean up the island and this was completed in 2000 48 years after it was first infected.
As at 2007 there had been no further deaths from Anthrax on the islands residental sheep population

Ecoli can remain in the soil for decades, I may be wrong but do believe Foot & Mouth to be the same,

billmoseley
09-Jan-11, 19:53
we were told that it dies off when not in living creatures after 28 days but that is what they told us farmers

orkneycadian
09-Jan-11, 22:18
Its another country after all, and an awful lot of countries do things differently from this one. A great number of people in this country cling to the idea that whole world is fully of fluffy bunnies and nothing should ever happen to harm them. Probably the same kind of folk that go on holidays to expotic places, and are then horrified to find that they have scorpions, snakes and all sorts of interesting parasites that we don't have in the UK.

Theres a programme on BBC2 at the moment about the Inuit. I guess the same folk that are horrified at what the Koreans do to dogs and pigs, will be as shocked at what the Inuit do to Polar Bears, reindeer, and also dogs!

Commore
09-Jan-11, 22:23
Its another country after all, and an awful lot of countries do things differently from this one. A great number of people in this country cling to the idea that whole world is fully of fluffy bunnies and nothing should ever happen to harm them. Probably the same kind of folk that go on holidays to expotic places, and are then horrified to find that they have scorpions, snakes and all sorts of interesting parasites that we don't have in the UK.

Theres a programme on BBC2 at the moment about the Inuit. I guess the same folk that are horrified at what the Koreans do to dogs and pigs, will be as shocked at what the Inuit do to Polar Bears, reindeer, and also dogs!

You might be right,
and ps, I don't think rabbits are fluffy bunnies, I think they are bliddy pests that eat my crops, :)

orkneycadian
09-Jan-11, 22:30
Inuit are shooting seals for food on the TV now! Imagine the uproar if that happened in this country!

orkneycadian
09-Jan-11, 22:49
I don't think rabbits are fluffy bunnies, I think they are bliddy pests that eat my crops, :)

I would offer to come and help you shoot them, but you have no idea how much trouble you get into on this forum if you mention shooting vermin....

Aaldtimer
10-Jan-11, 18:41
...and the next target is... http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/scotland/Cull-of-25000-hares-called.6684286.jp

[disgust]

Commore
10-Jan-11, 19:07
I would offer to come and help you shoot them, but you have no idea how much trouble you get into on this forum if you mention shooting vermin....

Oh no, we'd have my mates on pets corner after me :(

Commore
10-Jan-11, 19:09
...and the next target is... http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/scotland/Cull-of-25000-hares-called.6684286.jp

[disgust]

Don't agree with this cull either,
sort of along the same lines as the hedgehogs courtesy of, was it SNH?

Anfield
10-Jan-11, 20:01
Inuit are shooting seals for food on the TV now! Imagine the uproar if that happened in this country!

I don't know if you are old enough to remember but farmers from Westray were "lawfully" shooting seals on eday and other Orkney Islands as recently as the mid 80's
The practice of killing seals continues to this day in both Orkney and mainland UK and the 1970 Conservation Of Seals Act is still in force which allows for fishermen to shoot seals if they are in proximity of their nets.

As to the Inuits, I suppose their local branch of McDonalds has supply problems.

oldmarine
10-Jan-11, 21:10
Not connected oldmarine, but just on the BBC news:A US congresswoman has been rushed to hospital after after she and up to 12 people were shot at a public event in Arizona.
Gabrielle Giffords, a Democratic member of the US House of Representatives, was shot in the head at close range. Her condition is unknown.
The gunman was arrested after the shooting at the event at a supermarket in Tucson city attended by hundreds.
As you're in Tucson, hear anything?

Yes, I live about a mile from where the shooting occurred. My wife had gone to the Bank near the Safeway store where the shooting happened. The door at the bank was locked but the manager let her in so she could cash a check. She had planned to go the Safeway store where the shooting occurred, but decided differently when she was told about the shooting. She went to another store insead. She just barely exited the entrance before the exit/entrance was blocked by authorities because it had become a crime scene. Too close for comfort for my wife. When she got home she told me about it and we turned on the TV news to find out about Representative Giffords being shot.

Commore
10-Jan-11, 21:15
Yes, I live about a mile from where the shooting occurred. My wife had gone to the Bank near the Safeway store where the shooting happened. The door at the bank was locked but the manager let her in so she could cash a check. She had planned to go the Safeway store where the shooting occurred, but decided differently when she was told about the shooting. She went to another store insead. She just barely exited the entrance before the exit/entrance was blocked by authorities because it had become a crime scene. Too close for comfort for my wife. When she got home she told me about it and we turned on the TV news to find out about Representative Giffords being shot.

As you say, much too close for comfort but at least you are both safe and well,

northener
10-Jan-11, 21:41

Good to hear you both are OK, Leatherneck.

bekisman
10-Jan-11, 23:00
"The door at the bank was locked but the manager let her in so she could cash a check" that could have been quite fortuitous - a few minutes later.... Pleased you're OK