PDA

View Full Version : Please Be Extra Careful !!

cherokee
08-Jan-11, 14:04
OH just back from Tesco's, Wick.

He said its the first time he was actually scared of the road conditions - cars were skidding all over the place !! :eek:

The A99 from Reiss towards Wick is atrocious !!!!!!!!!:eek:

He overheard a Tesco's employee mention that the buses and some taxi's have stopped running !! :eek:

Please, everyone, be extra vigilant if you have to drive !!

pepsimax
08-Jan-11, 14:15
Thank you for this as we were undecided on whether or not to go to Wick this afternoon or not. Definately noy going now.

cherokee
08-Jan-11, 14:18
A very wise decision pepsimax!! Stay safe !! Glad I was of help to you.

sweetpea
08-Jan-11, 14:27
Was it in the Tesco car park they were skidding? I was planning going over from other side of town.

cherokee
08-Jan-11, 14:35
Yes sweetpea!

Seemingly a car in front of my OH (a 4x4) went straight into a lamp-post in the actual car-park. There was also a car up on the pavement and another, opposite the bus-stop and yet another lost control on the round-a-bout itself !!! :eek::eek:

(Yes, the drivers were all fine !!)

P/S As far as OH could tell (he may have been wrong, before anyone starts an argument !:confused) there was absolutely no grit/salt to be seen anywhere in the car park or the round-a-bout !!!

wickscorrie
08-Jan-11, 14:39
heard that one of the service buses didna like driving down the cliff at the harbour either today and was faced with the choice of harbour or wall!!!

sweetpea
08-Jan-11, 14:41
oh well that's it then I'm stuck in for the day, was going to go a lookie to Tesco to beat the boredom lol. Do Tesco not grit the car park or maybe it's the council that do the roundabout.

Liz
08-Jan-11, 14:56
My sister just drove home to Reiss from McArthur Street and said the roads are trecherous all the way.

So,if your journey isn't absolutely necessary, best to stay at home or go for a walk.

annemarie482
08-Jan-11, 15:19
its a local farmer that grits tesco carpark.
not sure about roundabout but i'd imagine it'd be the council as its on the main bus routes.

changilass
08-Jan-11, 15:24
Not sure if its the council or not, but surely if Tesco gave a fig about their customers, then they would make sure it was safe.

I am sure they have lost quite a few customers today because of it, not very good business practice to not make sure your customers can get to your premises safely.

brandy
08-Jan-11, 15:49
i went out to lyth today.. roads are horrendous! but have take pics as had the camera with me! so will throw them up to show you.. in a 4x4 and i was sliding around! and it was the first time my car has slid all winter!

annemarie482
08-Jan-11, 15:55
thats why i've never crossed the door today brandy, dont think my wee car would like the lyth road, if it could get out the drive lol

brandy
08-Jan-11, 16:00
i have a pic of your house i think! *laughs*

Stack Rock
08-Jan-11, 16:54
Left Wick for Aberdeen at 9.30 and it had just started snowing after some rain. Roads were fine apart from some snow on the Caithness section. Nothing in the granite city.
PS - the access road from the A99 to TESCO's is not a council road.

oldmarine
08-Jan-11, 19:12
You people in Caithness appear to be having one of the worst winters ever. I never experienced any of that when I was stationed there.

Dog-eared
08-Jan-11, 20:59
People seem to have a problem driving according to the road conditions these days . It didn't seem to happen so much way back when we always had snowy winters, drivers were more used to the roads being a wee bit slidey.

Fran
09-Jan-11, 00:43
Tesco car park was like an ice rink last night. Dont think they grit it. I think the farmer just clears the snow away with a plough on front of his tractor.