PDA

View Full Version : Total Balance or total botox?

crayola
08-Jan-11, 00:51
A growing number of celebrities are being spotted with a distinctive silicone band on their wrists. While users claim it can help with balance, critics dismiss it as unscientific hocus pocus. So why would anybody wear a Power Balance band?

Andrew Strauss is a victorious cricket captain, having starred in a dazzling Ashes series win.

The cricket fans might talk about diligent batting, calm captaincy and canny field placings. But what about the £30 rubber band visible on his wrist?

It's a Power Balance bracelet - a silicone band with a hologram. They are an increasingly common sight on the golf course, and away from sport both Robert De Niro and Kate Middleton have been spotted wearing them.

But this is a controversial gizmo.

The bracelet's distributors in Australia have just had to apologise and change their marketing and advertising text after the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission took action.

The commission said that the local distributors had claimed the bands would "improve balance, strength and flexibility". They also criticised the slogan "Performance Technology".

The distributors admitted no credible scientific basis for the claims, the commission said.

On the US website of Power Balance it explains the bands thus: "Power Balance is based on the idea of optimising the body's natural energy flow, similar to concepts behind many Eastern philosophies. The hologram in Power Balance is designed to resonate with and respond to the natural energy field of the body."

The idea that people have a "natural energy field" might cause a certain flutter of the eyebrow.

Simon Singh, co-author of Trick or Treatment?: Alternative Medicine on Trial, is not convinced, particularly by the slogan "Performance Technology".

"Technology implies science. You look at a Power Balance band and you say 'I don't see the technology, I don't think it's biologically plausible, I don't see research trials, I just see a bit of rubber.'"

For the rest of the story click on... Mystery bracelets (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12135402)

Does the Power Balance band optimise the body's natural energy flow, similar to concepts behind many Eastern philosophies? Do you believe that the hologram in Power Balance resonates with and responds to the natural energy field of the body?

Or do you think it's not biologically plausible, it's just a bit of rubber so it's all total botox sold by ruthless frauds who are out to screw the gullible and part them from their money?

Are you a true believer blue?

Or are you a rational head red who believes the human energy field in an evil fabrication of twisted evil and dishonest money grabbers?

Tubthumper
08-Jan-11, 00:55
I'm a trusting sowl, honest.

Moira
08-Jan-11, 01:12
Meantime, sadly, I am reflecting on your polls
Did anything constructive come to fruition?

Metalattakk
08-Jan-11, 02:10
It's all a big, hairy, jiggling bag of bollocks. Anyone who believes in this big bag of jiggly bollocks needs their bumps felt. ;)

northener
08-Jan-11, 07:11
I've got a couple of bags full of boll-sorry- natural energy aura balances for sale. PM me for details.

Buyer collects.

ducati
08-Jan-11, 08:11
I think this is absolute rubbish, everyone knows that for balance you need a rock in your pocket!

northener
08-Jan-11, 08:16
I think this is absolute rubbish, everyone knows that for balance you need a rock in your pocket!

Or walk round all day with your arms outstretched.

Ricco
08-Jan-11, 09:24
Another case of the gullible queuing up to be willingly parted from their hard-earned cash. Please, please - if you want to be parted from your dosh donate it to the pityful drinking fund of Metalattack and Ricco... oh, and a supply of Pultney for Golach. ;)

John Little
08-Jan-11, 09:50
£30 for a rubber band!

They've got wee packets of them for 40p in our local post office....

Stingray
08-Jan-11, 10:11
http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/fitness/power-balance-bracelets-exposed-as-a-sham-20101223-195u7.html

Total scam.... many more articles about it on google...

Kodiak
08-Jan-11, 12:00
People just love this type of thing. Just how many of you out in orgland wear a Copper Bracelet as a cure for Rheumatism? I am sure there are quite a few of you.

Also the Magnetic Bracelets that are supposed to help relieve pain.

Do not under estimate the Placebo effect on the human body.

northener
08-Jan-11, 12:24

So these placebo things work?

Brilliant, what colour placebos are you selling Kodiak? I'll have a dozen in blue or pink.:Razz

ducati
08-Jan-11, 13:13

Brilliant, what colour placebos are you selling Kodiak? I'll have a dozen in blue or pink.:Razz

That would work out very expensive N. To get a dozen of one colour you would have to open 6 or 7 packets.

ducati
08-Jan-11, 13:15
Sorry I clicked the wrong button beggering up the poll. (balance is a bit off today).

Kodiak
08-Jan-11, 13:26

Sorry I did not say that the Placebo Effect works, all I said was, "do not Under Estimate it".

Liz
08-Jan-11, 14:03
People just love this type of thing. Just how many of you out in orgland wear a Copper Bracelet as a cure for Rheumatism? I am sure there are quite a few of you.

My dog wears a copper collar which really helps with his arthritis so can't be a placebo effect with him.:D

crayola
08-Jan-11, 15:12
Meantime, sadly, I am reflecting on your polls
Did anything constructive come to fruition?Oh yes and so very much so. This one hasn't done a great deal yet but there's still time.

Can I help with your reflection? :)

joxville
08-Jan-11, 16:28
On balance, I think it's a con. Being unbalanced I think it's a wonderful idea.

Oh sod it, I'm off for a lie down.

onecalledk
08-Jan-11, 20:18
My dog wears a copper collar which really helps with his arthritis so can't be a placebo effect with him.:D

Copper conducts and the copper is also absorbed through the skin and that is why it is worn to help with arthritis, it does amplify the energy system of the body, whether you are a canine or a human. THe bands beings discussed couldnt possibly work cos they are made of rubber, which DOES NOT Conduct so how on earth would it balance anything??

The human energy system is akin to an electric current that flows through the body, the chinese call this flow of energy chi and they are found in lines called meridians throughout the body. Its how accupuncture works, the needles "unstick" the energy that is not flowing properly thus relieving the syptoms the patient experiences as the electrical current is then flowing freely where it should.

Wearing an elastic band even with a hologram would do nothing at all apart from looking a bit trendy obviously if the "stars" are all wearing them.......

K

Moira
09-Jan-11, 00:17
Oh yes and so very much so. This one hasn't done a great deal yet but there's still time.

Can I help with your reflection? :)

Good.

No, you can't help with my reflection.

golach
09-Jan-11, 00:25
Good.

No, you can't help with my reflection.
Are you from Portgower then Moira, Vampires have no reflections :eek:

joxville
09-Jan-11, 01:22
If you're going to spend money on rubber bands then I suggest you buy one that actually does some good. Go to the Help for Heroes website and buy one of their rubber bands showing your support, they're only 2 quid. Do as I did, buy a few for friends and family.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/products/Help-for-Heroes-Wristband.html

You KNOW it makes sense.

bekisman
09-Jan-11, 19:23
#24 above is a spam one Edit: (See they have been deleted now)

ducati
09-Jan-11, 22:24
The human energy system is akin to an electric current that flows through the body, the chinese call this flow of energy chi and they are found in lines called meridians throughout the body. Its how accupuncture works, the needles "unstick" the energy that is not flowing properly thus relieving the syptoms the patient experiences as the electrical current is then flowing freely where it should.
K

Having watched two chinese gentlemen of my aquaintance try to get an enormous box into the boot of my Honda Prelude (anyone else would have looked at the box, looked at the boot and decided instantly-no way) for a good 10 minutes, I would not trust a chinese person to begger about with my chi :eek:

Whitewater
09-Jan-11, 23:06
I don't know about the power of the bands, but I have several friends who carry their own crystal about with them and really beleive it helps their wellbeing. Also, isn't acupuncture supposed to tap into the bodies natural energy flows.
I don't know much about this, but I do beleive there are many things about the human mind and body which have not been discovered yet or have been scoffed at by us, but the ancients knew about and used many things which seemed odd to us. Did they know something we don't?

George Brims
10-Jan-11, 18:19

Over here in the US, a firm called Florsheim make very nice men's shoes. A few years ago they started selling these shoes called "Magneforce", which were supposed to have healing magnets in the soles. A physicist calle Robert Park, who writes a weekly email bulletin called "What's New" on issues of science and society, called the CEO of the company to complain about them hawking such quackery. The CEO, it turned out, was newly appointed and had no idea they were doing this. Furthermore, he was horrified when Park informed him the guy who had consulted on the efficacy of magnets for healing was (a) in the business of selling magnetic bracelets etc and (b) in possession of a "Ph.D." in physics from a place that prints them for $30. Bob did a wee experiment on a pair of the shoes, finding that the magnets in the soles weren't even strong enough to hold a paper clip. Thanks to Bob, I now own a pair of those shoes because the company stopped making them and sold them off through a cheap place similar to TKMaxx. I got mine for about $25, whereas Bob paid the full price of over $200 for his.

ducati
11-Jan-11, 20:13
Over here in the US, a firm called Florsheim make very nice men's shoes. A few years ago they started selling these shoes called "Magneforce", which were supposed to have healing magnets in the soles. A physicist calle Robert Park, who writes a weekly email bulletin called "What's New" on issues of science and society, called the CEO of the company to complain about them hawking such quackery. The CEO, it turned out, was newly appointed and had no idea they were doing this. Furthermore, he was horrified when Park informed him the guy who had consulted on the efficacy of magnets for healing was (a) in the business of selling magnetic bracelets etc and (b) in possession of a "Ph.D." in physics from a place that prints them for $30. Bob did a wee experiment on a pair of the shoes, finding that the magnets in the soles weren't even strong enough to hold a paper clip. Thanks to Bob, I now own a pair of those shoes because the company stopped making them and sold them off through a cheap place similar to TKMaxx. I got mine for about $25, whereas Bob paid the full price of over $200 for his.

It sounds like you have your feet firmly on the ground there George. Gravity could always use a bit of help :lol:

bekisman
11-Jan-11, 21:14
Was it difficult to walk in any other direction than North/South?